120v Heating Element Grounding

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mrshaund

Reaction score
I am using an Aluminum Kettle if I ground it between SS shim and Kettle wall (outside wall on the kettle) would this work well or is there another way.

The basis of grounding a kettle is to have a low resistance connection between the power cord ground conductor and the kettle.
At some point that usually means a mechanical connection where the element clamps or threads into the kettle.
If you are using a separate "bru-stick" type element that just hangs in the kettle, then you will need to find a way to ground the kettle with a separate attachment point.

IMO if you are able to solder the ground wire to the shim washer and assemble it all tightly to the kettle then the kettle will be well grounded.

A simple but less attractive alternative is to clamp the ground wire to the kettle handle.

Soldering a grounding lug adjacent to the element is prettier.

Here's an interesting thought, how about a set of small jumper cable clamps with a ground wire hooked to them?

I would heavily advise against the use of clamps/clips that are spring loaded. Always use something more positive like a screw or screw down clamp.

I just used an earth bonding clamp onto one of the kettle handles - might not be pretty but its were I can always see it

Thinking I could also just go the Gang Box route and use that ground as well. I have a soldering gun but not sure its hot enough for SS

I would heavily advise against the use of clamps/clips that are spring loaded. Always use something more positive like a screw or screw down clamp.

I just used an earth bonding clamp onto one of the kettle handles - might not be pretty but its were I can always see it

Spring loaded clamps work for aircraft, oil drums, tanker trucks, etc. as the grounding system. Unless you have a permanent installation such as a micro or a brew pub, a mechanical ground like a screw or screw down clamp is a pain in the rear.

Spring loaded clamps work for aircraft, oil drums, tanker trucks, etc. as the grounding system. Unless you have a permanent installation such as a micro or a brew pub, a mechanical ground like a screw or screw down clamp is a pain in the rear.

These are two different grounding purposes.
On aircraft, fueling systems and tanks, the ground is to discharge a static electricity spark that could ignite the fuel.

On power (brewing) equipment, the purpose of the ground is to clear the main breaker or fuse if an element or other energized component shorts to ground.

A static discharge ground needs to carry a couple milliamps at most.
A brewing panel ground needs to carry the circuit breaker or fuse's amp rating which could be 10, 20, or more amps.

Both are important but function in very different ways.

Back