120v eBIAB Wiring Schematic - Review

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dougp

Reaction score
I'm utilizing some parts from my 240v project - I'm stepping down in size. Let's not get into the reasoning behind this, let's just review and go over my questions! :tank:

120v.jpg

Yes, I'm aware I don't need to use the fusebox, but I figure I might as well instead of wiring in the fuses. Everything is rated for 240v - this shouldn't be a problem, right?

Also, question. One of my plugs is a 240v 30a plug - I can still use this with 120v, right? The 240v/30a numbers are just telling me what it's rated at?

Other than that, I think everything is spot on - don't worry, wires won't be going all over the place like that, there will be a sequence on it.

240v 30a plug is fine for less voltage / current.

Also, black is standard for hot in a 120v, but it looks like your SSR is switching the neutral then? I'd switch the hot. Probably doesn't make a difference, but just a good rule of thumb to always switch the hot line.

I'd take a closer look, but the diagram is a little tough to read. Lots of lines next to each other

I think it is a bad idea to use 240V plugs and outlets on a strictly 120V setup.

Here is a diagram that might help you.

And as always - click on the image to see and save a fullscale diagram printable on Tabloid paper (11" x 217")

I do hope this helps.

P-J

240v 30a plug is fine for less voltage / current.

Also, black is standard for hot in a 120v, but it looks like your SSR is switching the neutral then? I'd switch the hot. Probably doesn't make a difference, but just a good rule of thumb to always switch the hot line.

I'd take a closer look, but the diagram is a little tough to read. Lots of lines next to each other

Yeah, I realize now I should have made that note.

Black is hot, red is neutral, green is ground.

I think it is a bad idea to use 240V plugs and outlets on a strictly 120V setup.

Here is a diagram that might help you.

And as always - click on the image to see and save a fullscale diagram printable on Tabloid paper (11" x 217")

I do hope this helps.

P-J

PJ, why would you avoid using 240v plugs? I already have a set (male/female) so I figured it's better to use them than spend money on additional 120v. I used your diagram as a guide, but since I have the fusebox, I changed that out as well as removing the PID power switch.

PJ, why would you avoid using 240v plugs? I already have a set (male/female) so I figured it's better to use them than spend money on additional 120v. I used your diagram as a guide, but since I have the fusebox, I changed that out as well as removing the PID power switch.
Using 240V outlets and plugs in the build makes it possible to stumble into a potentially dangerous situation.

Personally, I would use the correct plugs and outlets in the setup. That way there is no chance for a serious error. If you choose to use 240V components, then you should use the 4 prong units to keep the wires on their appropriate connections. That way there is no chance for a serious error later on.

Just saying.

P-J

Using 240V outlets and plugs in the build makes it possible to stumble into a potentially dangerous situation.

Personally, I would use the correct plugs and outlets in the setup. That way there is no chance for a serious error. If you choose to use 240V components, then you should use the 4 prong units to keep the wires on their appropriate connections. That way there is no chance for a serious error later on.

Just saying.

P-J

OK, I understand what you're saying. I will be careful in wiring, and make note to replace those components as quickly as possible. With that said, what do you think of my diagram?

OK, I understand what you're saying. I will be careful in wiring, and make note to replace those components as quickly as possible. With that said, what do you think of my diagram?
Aside from the use of the 240V outlets, I would not switch the neutral line in the setup except for the power being delivered to the element. (Which is what I think you are doing in your drawing.)

Aside from the use of the 240V outlets, I would not switch the neutral line in the setup except for the power being delivered to the element. (Which is what I think you are doing in your drawing.)

Well, like I said above, the black in my diagram is hot while the red is neutral, so the power is going through the SSR.

I don't agree about the outlets. You aren't selling the controller to somebody, you are the one wiring up the plugs, etc...

If I was in your shoes, I'd just use the 240v outlets. That being said, I'm fairly educated and experienced in wiring control systems. I have confidence that I wouldn't forget / check how I wired things before making changes later on.

If you are new to it / want to do everything by the book, by all means use appropriate outlets. At 120v and 20a, twist-lock outlets and plugs don't cost that much, and you don't even need to do twist-lock if you don't want. Plenty of people get buy without them.

I don't agree about the outlets. You aren't selling the controller to somebody, you are the one wiring up the plugs, etc...

If I was in your shoes, I'd just use the 240v outlets. That being said, I'm fairly educated and experienced in wiring control systems. I have confidence that I wouldn't forget / check how I wired things before making changes later on.

If you are new to it / want to do everything by the book, by all means use appropriate outlets. At 120v and 20a, twist-lock outlets and plugs don't cost that much, and you don't even need to do twist-lock if you don't want. Plenty of people get buy without them.

(Nevermind - My opinon apparently does not matter here in any way. I'm glad it is not my build.)

I, however, do like your added comment "If you are new to it"

I'm done..!

(Nevermind - My opinon apparently does not matter here in any way. I'm glad it is not my build.)

I'm done..!

I'm grateful for your input, P-J and I understand your position.

I'm done..!

Yes. Somebody disagrees, therefore you are being ignored. That is the correct and proportional response.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Home Brew mobile app

Back