12-12-12 Wee Heavy Swap and Critique Thread

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
This beer could easily use another year in my opinion.. I think I am going to take what I have left of it and stick it in my parents basement till next winter.

That's what my neighbor told me (also a home brewer). I still have about a case left, I think, so I'll try letting them sit. I'll make sure to take detailed tasting notes so I can see how much it changes, too.

I drank the "Curiosity" IPA last night. It was awesome! Almost filtered clarity, low alcohol, with a big fat hoppy punch. If it was mine I would have called it Mighty Midget IPA. Anyone else who got one of these consider yourself lucky.

Who gave me this Tröegs Impending Descent? Good gods man, but that's an RIS. I wish I had known what I had and I would have saved it for a later day. It is definitely in my top 3 RIS's, and maybe in my top ten overall. I've only had Mad Elf from Tröegs and I don't care for it. This is remarkable. Unfortunately I see it's a one off.

Alrighty then! Here we go.

I'm sampling xeerohour's 12-12-12. Please excuse my lack of critiquing skill.

A: Poured into a snifter with a little bit of beige head forming. It quickly dissipated, but hung around the edge of the glass until I was about half way done. The color was opaque with ruby highlights around the edges.

S: Aroma was sweet, malty and I could detect a little hint of the oak barrel. I could also smell the alcohol a bit.

T: The first thing I noticed was a malty/raisiny sweetness, but it is more complex than that. The sweetness is like a combo of raisin, apple and berries in a fruit roll up. Oak is also present and I could taste the alcohol a little. There may be some oxidation and smokiness as well, but I'm not sure if I'm describing them properly.

M: The beer is medium/ full in body. The low carbonation was perfect. I wouldn't call it chewy, but I found myself smacking my lips trying to enjoy the taste it left after swallowing. I could feel the alcohol a bit on the back of my throat

O: I thought it was deee-licious and liked yours better than my version. I liked yours better than some commercial offerings I've had. Great job and thanks for swapping with me. :mug:

Who gave me this Tröegs Impending Descent? Good gods man, but that's an RIS. I wish I had known what I had and I would have saved it for a later day. It is definitely in my top 3 RIS's, and maybe in my top ten overall. I've only had Mad Elf from Tröegs and I don't care for it. This is remarkable. Unfortunately I see it's a one off.

I sent that. Sorry I didn't think to warn you it was a RIS. I really liked the bottle I drank.

smokinghole said:
I sent that. Sorry I didn't think to warn you it was a RIS. I really liked the bottle I drank.

It didn't give much information on the bottle, but it was obvious what it was when poured. That's a damn fine beer. Better than WWS, but similar in some ways too. I had planned on having some beers after that, but it was so intense it became the only beer I drank last night.

Wanted to let CrystallineEntity know that your package arrived.

I feel badly because I haven't tried anyone else's 12-12-12; every time I've been home and able to consume a 10%+ ABV beer I didn't feel like chewing it:eek:

That being said, I just cracked open AleSmith's Horny Devil which was also in the box. Mein gott, this stuff is good. Like, amazing. I hope they sell it somewhere around SC/NC (moving shortly).

Many apologies to Stephonovich, JuanKenobi, and Smokinghole. It's been a crazy month at work, and I haven't gotten your packages shipped. Just today I boxed everything up, printed off shipping labels, and will take them to the UPS store if they're open tomorrow, or Wednesday if not.

In the box you will receive:
2xWee Heavy. M.O. with 4 oz Black. 1.094 OG 9.7%
1x 20 month old barleywine. 12%
1x pumpkin ale 7%

And one other, but I think you'll know what it is when you see it. I hope it's something rare/special for you, it's hard enough for me to find it, and I live in Nor-Cal!

Again, I'm sorry it's so late

Alright I got bottlebomber's package on Monday. I think you sent me two IRAs and an ESB and one 12-12-12 but that's fine, no problem, and no need to spend more on shipping.

Okay here's my first review. Xeerohour's 12-12-12

Appearance: It poured very thick and with a murky sort of haze (as expected with a beer of this malt content). The beer had no foam/head to speak of just like mine, it doesn't matter how vigorous you pour.

Aroma: It has a nose of raisins, brown sugar, very malty and has a nose of alcohol.

Taste: Extremely malty with a strong raisin and dark sugar flavor. The alcohol level makes it almost winey like a port minus the tannin presence. There's a slight smokiness that reminds me from using small amounts of smoked malt in a beer. Just enough to not be obvious but the level leaves a hint of smoke for you to taste if you're paying attention. As it warmed up the flavors developed into caramelized stone fruits like grilled plums or something. The malt is so intense in these beers that it might make someone think there is a diacetyl issue, but it's just intense malt flavor. The only fault I could pick out was a slight astringency or bitterness (which could have been hop bitterness shining through) while I was drinking it. That could have been my issue because I had been drinking a low gravity dry stout all day that was made with just base malt, black malt, and brown malt. So I could have already screwed myself up a little bit for tasting this beer.

Overall: I think this beer tastes very similar to my rendition. I think a long time at cold temps would have helped to remove any haze that this beer ended up having. Very good and thick fortifying beer. I can't wait to get into the others.

Just popped one of JuanKenobi's 12-12-12 beers (I don't have to work this week - every day is a weekend!). I poured it into an, um, mug. Large, thick-walled glass with a handle. My apologies if I should have used a tulip, or something else.

My non BJCP-certified amateur opinions are as follows:

Appearance: Pours with a slight nut-brown head which very quickly dissipates, although it leaves a faint ring around the edge of the glass. Small amount of carbonation is seen bubbling up. It's more heavily carbonated than mine was, and I like it. Color is very rich and dark.

Aroma: Quite heavy fusty smell, rather like a mix between wet cardboard and very old dried fruit. I don't consider this to be bad or surprising, given the amount of aging.

Taste: The initial in-your-face wallop is black currants and raisins, with prunes following closely after. Hugely strong on the raisins. The backbone is all malt, strong and with good staying power. The heavier carbonation helps mask the cloying nature of the beer better than mine did. I detected no alcohol burn.

Overall: I quite like it. Very well balanced for the style, or at least as much as my limited tastes of Wee Heavies goes. I'll mention again, the higher carbonation level really helps it out. How many CO2 volumes did you aim for, Juan?

Banana Stout
Foreign Extra Stout
Type: All Grain Date: 2/15/2012
Batch Size (fermenter): 7.50 gal Brewer: Adam Cole
Boil Size: 8.97 gal Asst Brewer:
Boil Time: 90 min Equipment: Penrose Kettle and 13gal Igloo Cooler
End of Boil Volume 8.22 gal Brewhouse Efficiency: 82.00 %
Final Bottling Volume: 7.20 gal Est Mash Efficiency 86.4 %
Fermentation: Ale, Two Stage Taste Rating(out of 50): 30.0
Taste Notes:
Ingredients

Ingredients
Amt Name Type # %/IBU
12 lbs Pale Malt (2 Row) US (1.8 SRM) Grain 1 70.6 %
1 lbs 8.0 oz Oats, Flaked (1.0 SRM) Grain 2 8.8 %
1 lbs Brown Malt (65.0 SRM) Grain 3 5.9 %
1 lbs CaraBrown (55.0 SRM) Grain 4 5.9 %
12.0 oz De-Bittered Black Malt (Dingemans) (550.0 SRM) Grain 5 4.4 %
8.0 oz Dark Crystal (165.0 SRM) Grain 6 2.9 %
4.0 oz Chocolate (Briess) (350.0 SRM) Grain 7 1.5 %
2.00 oz Goldings, East Kent [5.00 %] - First Wort 60.0 min Hop 8 24.4 IBUs
1.50 oz Goldings, East Kent [5.00 %] - Boil 30.0 min Hop 9 12.8 IBUs
1.50 oz Goldings, East Kent [5.00 %] - Boil 10.0 min Hop 10 6.0 IBUs
7.50 lb Banana (weight with peels on) peeled and blended to pulp with black seal rum then added to secondary
2.0 pkg SafAle English Ale (DCL/Fermentis #S-04) [23.66 ml] Yeast 13 -

Beer Profile

Est Original Gravity: 1.066 SG Measured Original Gravity: 1.070 SG
Est Final Gravity: 1.016 SG Measured Final Gravity: 1.008 SG
Estimated Alcohol by Vol: 6.7 % Actual Alcohol by Vol: 8.2 %
Bitterness: 43.2 IBUs Calories: 234.1 kcal/12oz
Est Color: 33.1 SRM
Mash Profile

Mash Name: Single Infusion, Medium Body Total Grain Weight: 17 lbs
Sparge Water: 2.72 gal Grain Temperature: 72.0 F
Sparge Temperature: 168.0 F Tun Temperature: 72.0 F
Adjust Temp for Equipment: FALSE Mash PH: 5.20

Mash Steps
Name Description Step Temperature Step Time
Mash In Add 5.31 gal of water at 163.7 F 152.0 F 60 min
Mash Out Add 2.98 gal of water at 200.7 F 168.0 F 10 min

Sparge Step: Fly sparge with 2.72 gal water at 168.0 F

If I were to do it again I'd up the mash temp a bit and maybe add some more body building oats because of the bananas and rum.

Trying out CrystallineEntity's 12-12-12 brew...

Appearance - Pours dark amber, with a decent head that stays around for a bit. The head was thicker overall than mine and JuanKenobi's, but it didn't maintain a ring around the edge of the glass like Juan's did. Lower carb level, I suppose.

Aroma - Raisins and dark currants (I see a trend...), with strawberries and maybe mango as it fades. Something pleasantly sweet, mild, and somewhat exotic, anyway.

Taste - Very boozy. Not sure if the 4 months difference in aging makes this much of a difference, but anyway, it's quite present. That's not a horrible thing, I think, just different. Other than that, raisins and molasses. There's a sharpness in the aftertaste that's different than carbonation, too. It hangs out at the back of your throat; not burning, but sharp, almost metallic.

Overall - Pretty hot overall, but alright flavor. I'm going to keep the other one for at least 4 months before I try it. I'm looking forward to seeing how other flavors come out when the alcohol isn't so overpowering.

Just popped one of JuanKenobi's 12-12-12 beers (I don't have to work this week - every day is a weekend!). I poured it into an, um, mug. Large, thick-walled glass with a handle. My apologies if I should have used a tulip, or something else.

My non BJCP-certified amateur opinions are as follows:

Appearance: Pours with a slight nut-brown head which very quickly dissipates, although it leaves a faint ring around the edge of the glass. Small amount of carbonation is seen bubbling up. It's more heavily carbonated than mine was, and I like it. Color is very rich and dark.

Aroma: Quite heavy fusty smell, rather like a mix between wet cardboard and very old dried fruit. I don't consider this to be bad or surprising, given the amount of aging.

Taste: The initial in-your-face wallop is black currants and raisins, with prunes following closely after. Hugely strong on the raisins. The backbone is all malt, strong and with good staying power. The heavier carbonation helps mask the cloying nature of the beer better than mine did. I detected no alcohol burn.

Overall: I quite like it. Very well balanced for the style, or at least as much as my limited tastes of Wee Heavies goes. I'll mention again, the higher carbonation level really helps it out. How many CO2 volumes did you aim for, Juan?

I just checked my notes, and apparently I didn't do so well with note taking on bottling day. I'm pretty sure I targeted 2 volumes. I'm quite happy with the carbonation in this beer. I was afraid that I'd killed he EC-1118 I used for conditioning and it was going to stay flat, but it actually carbed up pretty fast. How did you find the cake? The bottles I've poured so far have had really compact cakes that didn't budge a bit which really surprised me.

Interesting to see the "well balanced" comment. I haven't tried anyone else's yet, but it seems like most of the recipes I've seen posted have been bittered more heavily than mine (EKG, 26 IBU, Tinseth).

I just checked my notes, and apparently I didn't do so well with note taking on bottling day. I'm pretty sure I targeted 2 volumes. I'm quite happy with the carbonation in this beer. I was afraid that I'd killed he EC-1118 I used for conditioning and it was going to stay flat, but it actually carbed up pretty fast. How did you find the cake? The bottles I've poured so far have had really compact cakes that didn't budge a bit which really surprised me.

Interesting to see the "well balanced" comment. I haven't tried anyone else's yet, but it seems like most of the recipes I've seen posted have been bittered more heavily than mine (EKG, 26 IBU, Tinseth).

The cake was fine. I too used EC-1118, although in retrospect, not enough of it. I was deathly afraid of having bottle bombs of this beer with so much effort put into it.

Beersmith puts my IBUs at 24 (Tinseth), FYI. *shrug* I'm sure there's actual differences in the brewing process that the program can't pick up on, and carb level definitely has a huge effect on perceived taste. I have never had a Wee Heavy of any kind that was overly bitter, just saying. It's not proper for the style at all.

So, apparently one of my packages got lost, since it hasn't been delivered and it's been 3 weeks. I didn't save the receipt (dumb, I know that now). Can UPS track a shipment just based on my name and/or email address? Should I go to the store and ask them where it is, or is it a lost cause?

Cromwell said:
So, apparently one of my packages got lost, since it hasn't been delivered and it's been 3 weeks. I didn't save the receipt (dumb, I know that now). Can UPS track a shipment just based on my name and/or email address? Should I go to the store and ask them where it is, or is it a lost cause?

Yeah just go to the store and they will have you on record. So do you have the tracking number? You can usually find the status based on that. But either way the store will have you.

Cromwell, hopefully you aren't referring to me. I'm not sure I ever told you I got yours, but I did. Just haven't had a chance to try the 12-12-12 yet.

FWIW, I did really enjoy the T.B.A. Do you know how old that was, btw?

Thanks, xeerohour I'm glad you got yours, but no I wasn't referring to you. Glad you liked the T.B.A. but no, I don't know how old it was.

smokinghole, I'm drinking this Flanders right now and it's fantastic, as good as any commercial one I've had. Nice and sour, beer still has a little body despite being quite dry. What did you sour it with?

As far as the Wee Heavies, none of the heavy beers in my fridge have been calling out to me. I was on a serious malty beer kick before this and kind of burned out and have been craving lighter beers and IPAs. So I've been focusing on the non 12.12.12 beers ;)

The beer was fermented with ECY02. The recipe was almost 30% crystal by the way so that might explain the residual body. Now this could be just being super critical but I also suspect it is a possibility that a slight viscosity built back up in the beer. There may be a slight bitterness/astringency due to me using purple corn in the beer. I had to "fix" it with ascorbic acid, only like a tablespoon for 10 gal. The ascorbic acid broke the reaction of anthocyanins and acrolein that formed from the very high level of anthocyanin in the purple corn.

Viscosity like in a lacto ropiness? It certainly didn't seem ropy on the palate. As far as the corn thing, dang you lost me bro. Evidently I have a lot left to learn.

Yeah viscosity like lacto/pedio ropiness. Like I said could just be me being overly critical of my own brew. If you want to read about the corn thing read this for the reason whyPurple Corn = bad in sour beer. When I inverviewed at Victory I brought this beer for everyone in the interview to taste. I figured with them talking about more barrel aged experimental stuff it'd be appropriate. Then I explained the corn thing and I think I almost made their eyes roll back in their heads because I went full blown geek.

I had to pull out the old Plant Physiology texts....

All - I've been fighting a cold and figured that since Founders Imperial Stout tasted bland to me that I should wait to try all of the samples I've been sent.

I will be cracking some beers this week and will do my best to properly represent them here.

I got my package from CA-LT1 literally as I was packing my car up with the final stuff to leave for SC. My comment to UPS, "No, I'm trying to leave! Oh wait, it's beer..."

I haven't tried the 12-12-12 yet. The other two, though...

The first, um, I have no idea what it was. I don't remember the cap code, unfortunately, and it was lost/thrown away during the move. It was sour and strong, is all I know. Not going to lie, I wasn't much a fan. I'm sure the beer was fine, but I didn't like it. Sorry, dude.

EDIT: I'm dumb; just read back a few pages. So, it was a Barleywine, eh? Did you use Brett or Lacto? Mine was fairly sour. I've had Barleywines before and liked them alright, but I never had one soured. Also, thank you a million times over for the Pliny. That is definitely a treat that I've never enjoyed before. I saved the bottle. It's right up there with Heady Topper.

Next up was "P", which I guessed to be Pumpkin. Ding-ding! Whoa, this stuff is awesome. Tastes like eating pumpkin pie. It's probably the closest to DFH Punkin Ale, which is my personal favorite example of the style. Recipe, please?

Alright, cracked open CT-LT1s 12-12-12...

Appearance: Poured with a medium carb level that belied the faint hiss upon cracking the bottle - about a half finger head atop a nice deep mahogany beer. Bubbles are still fizzing up as I write this, although the head is long gone.

Smell: Very ripe plums, molasses, raisins, brandy.

Taste: Less oxidizing present than the others (including my own). Initial taste is a little less cloying that some; the higher carb level is probably helping. (Repeated note to self: carb this higher when you make it) I'm picking up plums and raisins again, with maybe some faint cantaloupe - that bright, sugary, fruity flavor. The carb has a pleasant bite that lingers and helps to counter the huge maltiness. Alcohol makes itself known very faintly; you're aware that it's there, but not overly so. Sneaky, this.

Overall: A very well balanced brew! I'm really digging these ones that have the higher carb level to balance them out. Flat, or near flat beers (again, so many apologies for my End of the World Stout I sent out) have an annoying way of becoming overly thick to drink.

Hey Steph, thanks for the reviews, and for being honest! Yeah, barley wine, but maybe the bottle I sent you somehow got infected. I've been drinking one every few months, and while there's only some bitterness still remaining, I haven't had one I'd call sour. Was it clear? I'm having one right now, and it's crystal. Still hot though, it is 12% after all.

The pumpkin ale was basically Renoenvy's recipe with some hop subs, except I added the spice post-fermentation via tea method.

Phew, glad the 12-12-12 was ok. I almost didn't participate in the swap this year cuz I didn't think my wee heavy was good enough, although I've never had another wee heavy to speak of...

Well now that's a lie. once I saw my packages were delivered, I tried one of the swap bottles. I'll get the review up soon.

Hey Steph, thanks for the reviews, and for being honest! Yeah, barley wine, but maybe the bottle I sent you somehow got infected. I've been drinking one every few months, and while there's only some bitterness still remaining, I haven't had one I'd call sour. Was it clear? I'm having one right now, and it's crystal. Still hot though, it is 12% after all.

The pumpkin ale was basically Renoenvy's recipe with some hop subs, except I added the spice post-fermentation via tea method.

No, the Barleywine was a little murky. Maybe it was infected.

Found the recipe and put it into Beersmith. That's way better than the other recipe I've made (names omitted to protect good people). Also, Reno straight up says in his post that it tastes a lot like DFH - no wonder I loved it.

I'm going to get to drinking some more of these beers tonight. I might have to reach out and ask about who used what caps. Everyone has "12" on the cap I think and I forget who's is who's. Of course I neglected to mark them and I stupidly trusted that I could remember by location in the fridge.

Well, I figured out what happened, and it's my fault.
I was supposed to send beers to CA-LT1, MDVDuber and xeerohour, and instead I sent beers to bottlebomber, CA-LT1 and xeerohour. Dumb of me to start, and especially since sending beer to Ukiah is more expensive than sending it to Maryland. Anyway, I apologize. Unfortunately, bottlebomber has already drunk at least one of mine, or I'd just send you money to forward the package to MDVDuber. You must have received packages from 4 of us?
Any chance I can get you to send what's left to MDVDuber so he doesn't get stiffed? I can't claim insurance since it's my fault it went to the wrong place.
I'll pay you what you need to mail it.

Cromwell said:
Well, I figured out what happened, and it's my fault.
I was supposed to send beers to CA-LT1, MDVDuber and xeerohour, and instead I sent beers to bottlebomber, CA-LT1 and xeerohour. Dumb of me to start, and especially since sending beer to Ukiah is more expensive than sending it to Maryland. Anyway, I apologize. Unfortunately, bottlebomber has already drunk at least one of mine, or I'd just send you money to forward the package to MDVDuber. You must have received packages from 4 of us?
Any chance I can get you to send what's left to MDVDuber so he doesn't get stiffed? I can't claim insurance since it's my fault it went to the wrong place.
I'll pay you what you need to mail it.

Just looked out on the fridge, and sure enough there are 4 different types of Wee Heavy out there. I had at least 20 packages arrive to my house in the month of December, and did several swaps with members outside of this one. Two of the WH's have almost identical rampant lion labels. You'll have to give me a pic of what your beers look like, and let me know what else you sent. I will replace the beers that I drank with other beers, but you'll have to handle the shipping. Also I'll need the address of where this needs to go. Further, I am balls to the wall at work and can't give a promised ETA for when I can get this out. It is fracking cold right and I'm not sure it's the best time to ship around beer. Bummer man :(

Just looked out on the fridge, and sure enough there are 4 different types of Wee Heavy out there. I had at least 20 packages arrive to my house in the month of December, and did several swaps with members outside of this one. Two of the WH's have almost identical rampant lion labels. You'll have to give me a pic of what your beers look like, and let me know what else you sent. I will replace the beers that I drank with other beers, but you'll have to handle the shipping. Also I'll need the address of where this needs to go. Further, I am balls to the wall at work and can't give a promised ETA for when I can get this out. It is fracking cold right and I'm not sure it's the best time to ship around beer. Bummer man :(

Thanks, and again, sorry. My wee heavies weren't labled, I think, but they had blue caps. If it did have a label, it's purple with a Scottish thistle on it. The Curiosity IPA was mine, and I think you drank it. So whatever you can send is good. I'd just send him all new beers from here, but I sent out the last of my wee heavies. I'll ask him to message you his address. Let me know how I can pay you - if you have PayPal that's easiest.

So, I just popped open one of my 12-12-12s tonight. Man, I'm disappointed. Under attenuated, flat-ish... meh:( Seriously, I just burped cardboard.

Also related, I was watching some of Stone's videos on Vimeo, and they mentioned how they recently had a full tasting of their Vertical Epic series. Even the 02 and 03 years tasted great; they attributed this to storing them cool all these years. Which got me thinking, did anyone else store theirs in a temperature controlled environment? I know I sure as hell didn't.

Cromwell, I was thinking about the beer situation today and decided that even though I didn't sign up for swapping with 4 people, I did in fact get beer from 4. And so it's probably the good thing to do to just handle the swap with the 4th person myself, if everyone agrees. I'll just keep whatever I've got from you, ship out other beer, deal with the expense myself. It's simpler that way and you don't have to pay double shipping. If it's cool with everyone. However as stated before I am busy as hell and won't be able to do this for probably 2 weeks. This has to be in the terms and conditions also.

Thanks bottlebomber. That'd be great by me. I think it's probably ok with MDVDuber, but I'll message him and ask.
I owe you one, buddy. If you're ever in this neck of California.

Cromwell, Wow - you are way more worried about this than I am - Thank you for making all the effort to track this down. I'm perfectly happy with the plan you and bottlebomber have worked out. I mean really - I get another package full of beer and you think I'm going to complain??

To everyone else. I've been running crazy for the past few weeks. A business trip to Fresno (with a few days to visit Russian River and Lagunitas of course) followed by a red eye home and a 9 hour drive to NH for a family vacation. Anyhow, I've tried a couple of the beers and as soon as I get a minute I'll post up my highly amateur reviews.

I will say - anyone who got xeerohour's House IPA was a lucky beer drinker - it was absolutely amazing!

Hey Duber, since I already shipped to you how about some other stuff? I've got a pretty rockin IPA I just bottled up

Bomber - that sounds great to me. I'll admit I haven't gotten to your non 12-12-12's yet - but the Wee Heavy was very nice - my wife kept trying to steal it from me...

Back