11:37 time to pour the last pint of 2011

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

pyth

Reaction score
As the topic says, sitting about my house by myself relaxing for the new year. Pouring off a nice tall glass of my own APA to see in 2012.

I don't believe in that 2012 apocalypse hokum, but on the off chance I'm wrong, I'm going out with a homebrew in my hand :)

Atlantic time! GMT - 4, Eastern coast of Canada, NewFoundLand, Peurto Rico Most of the caribian,

I just looked and not only are you 1 hour ahead of me, there's a bit of Canada that is inexplicably 1.5 hours ahead. St. Johns / St. Pierre.

Let me know if there is any doom to prepare for (I'll probably be sleeping by then tho)

The Mayan Calendar hook-um is supposed to take place December 21, 2012.
I think you have plenty of time to down some more pints.
I think the Mayan's ran out of stone while making their calendar.
Remember the lights and computers were supposed to go haywire on Y2K and we are still running. :mug:

It's only 10:55 here....I might have just downed my last pint. Or maybe there's still time for another. The year old ginger snap brown ale I just downed was smooooth, I might I might just have to see if I have another in the back of the fridge.

Well, it's 12:05, I'm still here! Good thing to, I still have a few good swallows of this pint left :)

Also-- ginger snap brown ale sounds absolutely sublime revvy!

I dont know what to finish up 2011 with before the 2012 armegeddon.Looks like something ive already had,darn it.Nothing new before the end of times in 2012 it looks. One more and i dont think i will make it to midnight looks like the end is before 2012 here.

The wife and I are lying on the couch me with a Stone Smoked Porter her with a Chamay. We are watching Netflix, and I am inventorying ammo and checking the guns and bug out bag. I do believe in the apocalypse to some degree, but in reality the first of the month is when a routine check of survival gear and smoke detectors gets conducted. So as I sit here counting MREs, checking batteries, compass integrity, chem lights, flint and steel, ammo dates, and fresh water supply I wish you all a very happy new year.

what? the ffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffff...................?

What? Not everyone does this on new years? I suppose I was tainted from my first new years away from home when I was securing a landing strip for a KC-135 re-fueling F-15s over the southern no fly zone of Iraq and Kuwait. Of course that was Y2k and the world was supposed to end then too.

Every new years i get worried the world will blow up from firecrackers too,not to mention the hollocaust that is happening in my house currently. Tomarrows another day though,oh well.

Mmm, I didn't go quite that far, but the gun cab was left unlocked, with a fresh box of shells for both the 12g and the .22. One can never be to careful afterall!

Seeing as it's 12:30 I guess I can lock her back up!

If it makes you feel better according to the Marian calandra and George Norrey from coast to coast we are safe until 12-12-12.

Thats our expiration date. We may be good 2 weeks or so after,kinda like milk.

The Mayan calendar is cyclical. That means we just start this **** all over again!

I'm drinking wine tonight. Yooper gave me a bottle of Cabernet that is very good. Had a little rhubarb wine too. I still have an hour and a half to go...

The calender is cyclical indeed, but it's the puported linear long form mayan calender that has the expiration date. Which I honestly believe only ends because they had a calender good for 3000 years or so, and likely just figured that was good enough and they would update it in a few 1000 years.

I just popped an Aecht Ochlnferla Rauchbier Unbock. God I love this beer; it's like a smoked salmon just exploded in my mouth and spawned down my esophagus! I'm glad I opened this before destroying my pallet with the barley wine.

I just finished my keezer, with three perlick's on a tower, and pulled the first pint (loosely defined). Happy new year to me :)
It's not award winning design, but it's mine, mwahaha.

ForumRunner_20111231_234202.jpg

Thats probably why they need to get on it and get back to earth.So they can finish the calander. Damn mayan mystery alien people.

I just popped an Aecht Ochlnferla Rauchbier Unbock. God I love this beer; it's like a smoked salmon just exploded in my mouth and spawned down my esophagus! I'm glad I opened this before destroying my pallet with the barley wine.

Beer that tastes of fish...I'm both intrigued and cautious at the same time.

Indeed, I typically don't drink beverages which wink at me but after some of dog fish head's creations I'm willing to try anything.

In all seriousness smoke is something I'm fascinated with in beer. So many brewers over do it to the point of drinking a BBQ, but when I find that really well balanced smoked beer I'm in heaven. One that conforms to the German purity law is even that much more intriguing.

pyth said:
The calender is cyclical indeed, but it's the puported linear long form mayan calender that has the expiration date. Which I honestly believe only ends because they had a calender good for 3000 years or so, and likely just figured that was good enough and they would update it in a few 1000 years.

Yeah, it outlasted them didn't it?

If I ever make a beer that tastes like spawning in my throat, I'm dumpin' it.

I'm intrigued by the concept of smoking a brew, I wasn't even aware that was something that was done. I have a BBQ smoker, is that was is generally used to smoke a beer? Or is it more like adding smoked wood chips?

One has to be careful when smoking a beer for it can really gum up a nice pipe and leave the connoisseur with a splitting headache.

Actually in the term of "smoked beer" it is a beer that was brewed with a certain percent of the malt being smoked prior to mashing. If its done right it can be quite unique and fabulous. However; if too much smoked malt is used (usually brewers recommend no more than 3-5% of the grist make up smoked malts) it can be very overwhelming. Stone's smoked porter is a pretty good example, but I'm not sure it's available outside the west coast.

I had it last week bought in Il for the 2-3rd time still good,and awesome.One of my favorites.

Back