100% Trader Joe's Cider

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jon_TWR

Reaction score
So on a recent trip to TJ's to pick up some Candy Cane Joe-Joes (aka Xmas Crack), I grabbed a couple of bottles of the vintage ale (still need to stock up so I can continue my vertical tastings with this year's) and foolishly swung by the juice section...
temporary-7.jpg

Honeycrisp are probably the favorite apple varietal of both my wife and me, so I figured I had to make cider out of them (I mean, what else would a homebrewer do when confronted with a varietal apple juice at a reasonable price!?).

I'm mostly a beer brewer, but I've done enough cider to figure out a recipe that is bulletproof for our tastes, and still palatable to most people...as well as being ready really quickly, at least for cider.

The basic recipe is to ferment out 4.5 gallons of apple juice, cold crash, rack to a keg and top up with 1 gallon of unfermented apple juice. For us, this hits the perfect level of sweetness to be drinkable once carbed, but not cloyingly sweet like many commercial ciders (though with the relatively recent cider explosion, things are much better).

Since I have the TJ's Vintage Ale, and I know Belgian and Hefe yeasts make great cider, I decided to try to harvest the yeast and ferment the cider with it.

So today, I bit the bullet and drank a bottle of the Vintage Ale after Jury Duty and before heading to my second job (which starts at 4:30), flamed the lip of the bottle, poured some of the TJ's Honeycrisp juice into the bottle, covered it with a flamed piece of foil and put it in the cabinet above the stove to get started. I put the remainder of the juice in the freezer, and will take it out to thaw as soon as I see activity in the starter.

Once the starter ferments, I'll cold crash it, decant it (drinking the starter, for science) and step it up. I'll probably pitch the starter into 4 gallons of the juice once it's actively fermenting.

Should make for a great cider, and I hope some of the Honeycrisp character comes through. If not--not the end of the world, I've made plenty of fantastic ciders using this method with generic store bought apple juice. :)

That is some EXPENSIVE cider you got going. Hope it turns out well :)

That is some EXPENSIVE cider you got going. Hope it turns out well :)
Well, $3/half gallon *is* more expensive than the cheapest juice I can find, but if I'm not willing to hunt/wait for sales, it's usually $2.50/half-gallon of generic AJ (which is from concentrate...I think this isn't). This was $3/half-gallon

If I'm getting fresh pressed or green market cider (UV pasteurized), the price is similar, so I consider this a worthwhile experiment.

I probably should just use a yeast I've used many times before for cider, rather than experimenting with it, too...but I'm too much of a homebrewer and too little of a scientist for that. ;)

The starter isn't showing much activity, but it is showing a little. I probably should've diluted the juice 50% with boiled water, but I didn't. Guess it'll be at least a few more days before I get this one going.

Last edited:
I have been brewing cider with Trader Joes Apple juice for almost 2 years now. I do not have access to fresh cider but plan to start some cider trees this year. I recently tried this Honey Crisp cider and I was not impressed with the results. It was your typical brown sugar with Nottingham recipe with about 1.25 cups of brown sugar for 3 gallons. The cider was "bland" without much flavor.

My go to "baseline" cider is made with trader joes juice but I tend to use 50/50 of the unfiltered 100% organic apple juice and the filtered McIntosh. I always add wine tannins and lately with a great crop of crab apples I add about 5-10% crab apple juice and not put the wine tannins. I have tried juices from whole foods and also the cheap AJ from supermarkets and I always go back to the Trader Joes juice despite it being $7 a gallon.

My view is for $7 a gallon I am making something I enjoy better than most store bought ciders and it is cheaper.

Well, $3/half gallon *is* more expensive than the cheapest juice I can find, but if I'm not willing to hunt/wait for sales, it's usually $2.50/half-gallon of generic AJ (which is from concentrate...I think this isn't). This was $3/half-gallon

If I'm getting fresh pressed or green market cider (UV pasteurized), the price is similar, so I consider this a worthwhile experiment.

I probably should just use a yeast I've used many times before for cider, rather than experimenting with it, too...but I'm too much of a homebrewer and too little of a scientist for that. ;)

The starter isn't showing much activity, but it is showing a little. I probably should've diluted the juice 50% with boiled water, but I didn't. Guess it'll be at least a few more days before I get this one going.

Maybe you caught them on sale or maybe its just more expensive in the KC area. $3/half gallon isn't too bad.

I did some tests this fall by pressing apples from a local orchard and have several different combinations still in progress. The honeycrisp juice wasn't my favorite, but would work as part of a larger variety blend.
If you have a 1 gallon jug you might want to run a test batch with your harvested yeast and some of the juice you have, If it works out, you can save the yeast and then do a 4 gallon batch with what you have.
If you don't like it you can blend the honeycrisp with other varieties you can get.
Some of the apple/yeast combinations I've tried are good, some aren't that great. I keep coming back to the WL 002 as suiting my taste.

This is ironic - I used that exact same cider from TJ - I just popped into the store and knew I wanted to get some cider with no preservatives and walked over to that section, I think I paid 2.50 a piece. Several varieties to choose from and just decided on the apple crisp. Used notingham and fermented down to 1.004....those of you who have used this or an unfiltered type like this, how long did it take to clear?? Mine is still cold crashing and it has to come out of secondary by thursday since thats when we go out of town (I made this for Christmas) - everything clears out in the secondary (as Ive been told and experienced but this is my first cider) for this unfiltered type, how long will it take to clear? I realize its all aesthetics, Im just curious for those who have done it a few times.

I've only used the makintosh type, was very light but good. Id think that honey crisp would make a bad juice tbh since it was bread only for the taste and crunch. The breeder joked that they almost threw it out when they tested the baking qualities and it can back described as rubber.

Typically my cider clears in about 2-3 weeks in secondary with 1/2 tsp pectic enzyme. Cider is always clear after 2 weeks bottle carb and 1 week in fridge.

So worst case scenario its 4-5 weeks. It always clears if your patient and do not shake or move the fermentation container.

Thanks for all the feedback, everyone.

Sure, I *should* do a 1 gallon test batch...but the dang starter is FINALLY going (started showing significant activity 3-4 gays ago) to the point where I'm ready to cold crash it and step it up. So it'll probably get stepped up tomorrow or Sunday, and pitch the whole stepped up starter into the juice on Tuesday night or Wednesday morning, right before I leave town for 4 days. What could possibly go wrong!? :D

I have confidence that this will yield a tasty cider within a 4-6 week time frame (from yeast pitching inyo the full cider)--the 4:1 ratio of fermented cider to backsweetening juice has always given me a very drinkable cider that's ready quickly.

I'm sure I could improve my cider with some of the tips given here, but this way is just so easy and reliable! Easy and reliable enough that I'm willing to experiment with $33 of juice and the dregs from a $6 beer. :)

I just bottled some honey crisp cider from TJs...the best I've ever made! So much so, that I just started another 5gal batch! Best of luck!

Sent from my iPad using Home Brew

So the starter had a slight mold aroma and taste (probably got hold in the week or so it took the yeasties to get going), so I just went with a pack of S-04 for this one.

So definitely not 100% Trader Joe's Cider...though if I want to do that in the future, I can probably make it work. A lower gravity starter for the yeast, with the dregs of several bottles and careful sanitation of the outside of the bottles before I open them--lots tha could be done better.

Alternatively, I could see if TJs sells bread yeast ;)

Either way, this cider is fermenting happily. I have every reason to believe it'll turn out great. :)

I have a 1 gallon batch of TJ honeycrisp cider going right now. Been bubbling about a week now. I added 2 cups of maple syrup and used Montrachet. Hopefully the maple flavor doesn't get totally stripped out during the time it takes this to smooth out.

I just bottled some honey crisp cider from TJs...the best I've ever made! So much so, that I just started another 5gal batch! Best of luck!

Sent from my iPad using Home Brew

Could you share your recipe? I hope to brew a batch within the next couple weeks. I have no experience with cider; however I follow directions well.. ha ha

Thank you..

Back