100% brett lambicus ?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bensiff

Reaction score
I'm running an experiment with brett. Multiple one gallon batches of 100% brett to see what the different commercial strains taste like. I got two Wyeast and four (well three considering brett trois is now known to be a sacc) White Labs strains. I did starters on the WL due to their cell count. The Wyeast I pitched straight from the package. The Wyeast took longer to start than the WL, likely due to not making a starter. Anyway, the Wyeast Brett brux has finally kicked off looking like a normal sacc fermentation as has all the other brett strains. However the Wyeast lambicus has not, it has developed a pellicle. Is this normal for 100% Wyeast lambicus ferments?

It's finally showing fermentation activity. However, unlike all the other 100% brett beers that appeared just like a sacc ferment you can see from the picture that the Wyeast brett lambicus appears like a sacc/brett ferment. That is Wyeast brett brux on the left and the lambicus on the right.

I'm wondering if the culture was contaminated with some sacc.

View attachment ImageUploadedByHome Brew1424463463.183932.jpg

And now it has taken off and the pellicle is gone.

What type of fermentors or containers are those? Awesome experiment!

I have also seen the same type of fermentation that starts with a pellicle but it wasnt with Brett Lambicus, it was a mixed culture.

I did a similar experiment last year (with both beer wort and cider). We recently tasted them at beer club, and the general consensus was that all of them sucked. If I were to do this again, I'd do a mixed fermentation with brett and a super-estery belgian yeast. All the great things I love about brett just don't shine through in single-strain experiments.

What type of fermentors or containers are those? Awesome experiment!

I have also seen the same type of fermentation that starts with a pellicle but it wasnt with Brett Lambicus, it was a mixed culture.

They are one gallon PET plastic with an airtight lid I had to modify for the stopper.

Is that a mixed brett culture or are you talking about sacc, pedio, lacto and such?

I did a similar experiment last year (with both beer wort and cider). We recently tasted them at beer club, and the general consensus was that all of them sucked. If I were to do this again, I'd do a mixed fermentation with brett and a super-estery belgian yeast. All the great things I love about brett just don't shine through in single-strain experiments.

I was originally going to go with a pale ale as the base. However when I started doing starters the pure strains smelled very Belgiany (that's my new word for today) so I instead went with a triple karmeliet clone based wort, a little lighter on the gravity though.

Phase two of this experiment, time permitting, will be to make the same base and do a mix with a neutral sacc strain to see what their "brett character" is without interference from a mixed brett culture. From there I hope to get an idea of how to inoculate my barrels. Of course, the sacc/brett portion will take a good while longer. Maybe in a couple years I'll be pulling my first barrel where I hand selected the brett strains instead of tossing in a bunch of dregs and crossing my fingers.

Latest posts

Back