100% Brett Lambicus Temperature/lag time issues

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dougdecinces

Reaction score
I brewed 3 gallons of a blonde ale to ferment with 100% brett lambicus. I made a 1.75 L starter and ran it for two weeks. It's currently sitting at 65 degrees, but over 30 hours later there has been no signs of activity. My starter took about three days to take off, so I expect some lag time. But I want to make sure that I'm fermenting everything fine before it gets too far along.

is this the WLP lambicus? This is consistently the slowest brett strain i have used, I grow it up from a glycerol stock alongside the other WLP strains and it always takes easily twice as long to finish.

It is Wyeast. I have done 100% Brett Brux Trois beers several times, but this is my first Lambicus beer. Trois is a fast mover, so I was surprised at the long lag time with the Lambicus. According to calculators, I pitched about 1.25 billion cells/ml/degree plato, but it still took over 48 hours to take off. Either way, it's fermenting now so I'm just going to let it do its thing.

WL's Trois has recently been shown to be a sacch, and not a brett at all. so comparing a true brett to Trois isn't fair...

Thanks for the pointer on this; first I had heard of it. I just read the series of event on embracethefunk and it's good info to know. Thanks again for the heads-up!

All bretts are slow, but i have lambicus, from both companies, to especially slow to appear to ferment. Odds are it is going to work before you see visual activity, i would only be concerned past like 5-6 days

Back