$100 Aluminum RIMS tube build

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

chs9

Reaction score
OK team. I want to present my RIMS tube plan. It's $100 without shipping from MSC Direct. I have to cite all the SS RIMS tube articles on HBT, without them I wouldn't know what else to do.

It's much more expensive to make this with SS or copper, as far as I've seen trying to part this thing out.

Basically, I'm planning on using 2x 1 1/4" tees. 3 of those tee ports will have 1 1/4" - 1/2" bushings to reduce down to thermocouple and quick disconnects. One end will have 1 1/4" - 1" bushing to reduce down to the heating element. The pipe in between will be made from 2 nipples - 1x 2" long and 1x 6" long. A pipe union will connect the two for easy cleaning, with the shorter nipple on the same tee as the heating element.

Does anybody see an issue with this plan?

Thanks
CHS

People are willing to pay more than that! Here is one for $209, you can't beat the look of this beauty with a diy tube though.

RIMS15_ASSEMBLED.jpg

I'm planning on pretty much the same getup, except in 1.5" base size rather than 1.25". My thermocouple has a 1/4" thread anyway, so I need to be buying three extra reducing bushings (you can't go from 1.5" to 0.25" or 0.5" for some reason, so I have to step from 1.5 to 0.75 and thence to 0.25 or 0.5), but they're pretty cheap. I'm also ordering from McMaster-Carr mainly because I already have an account with them. Prices look comparable.

Back