10 Gallon Rubbermaid MLT Conversion Question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

phaqhugh

Reaction score
okay I converted my 10 gal rubbermaid and followed instructions using the braided hose technique but I don't like how it can move around when I am mashing and stirring etc. also

I found that it got clogged on me 3/4 of the way through my first batch with it so I got an idea!

I want to make a circular copper pipe system similar to the first one mentioned here..
https://www.homebrewtalk.com/wiki/index.php/Converting_a_cooler_to_a_mash_tun
just round instead. any ideas on how I can do it?

That's exactly what I used when I was mashing with a beverage cooler. It worked great. I just used 1/2" copper tubing and a cheap pipe bender (looks like a spring) to bend it into a circle. Connected the ends together with a "T" copper fitting. I'll try to get a picture of it for you tonight when I get home if no one has posted one yet.

SWEET! thanks i wasnt sure if i could even do it or how hard it would be. thanks bro and i like what you got brewin i almost made a cherry lambic but went with a ginger saison... i think... it hasnt shipped yet. :/

---- Belgian Pilsner 6.5 lb
---- Clear Candi Sugar - 2 lb
---- Gambrinus Honey Malt 1.5 lb
---- Weyermann Caramel Wheat 1 lb
---- Turbinado Sugar – 8 oz.
---- Weyermann Light Munich 0.5 lb
---- Hallertau Pellets, German - Aroma/Flavor Hop 3.8% AA 3 oz
---- Styrian Golding Pellets - Aroma/Flavor Hop 5.2% 1 oz
---- Wyeast Labs Beer Yeast Nutrient - NB50
---- Wyeast Labs Belgian Schelde Ale - Private Collection - 3655PC
---- Crystalized Ginger 4 oz.

manifold1.jpg

manifold2.jpg

manifold3.jpg

Here ya go. The last picture is the inside of the cooler. It's just a threaded male pipe fitting. Should be fairly easy for you to find.

do you think i can use pex tubing instead of copper? it is WAY cheaper, flexible, can handle 200F... i think i can based what i have read on here.

I don't think you'd have an issue with the material, but I'd be worried about it collapsing during the mash. Also, you don't want it sitting directly on the bottom of the mash, which is what I'm assuming will happen with flexible tubing.

I could be wrong...I've never used the stuff.

Back