10 gallon cooler top mod question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jedIPA

Reaction score
I just finished my 10 gallon MLT mod. I used 1/2" fittings and it is solid and leakproof. While I was assembling it I noticed the top seems to be hollow. I was wondering if I would retain more heat if I drilled a hole and filled it with a foam insulation. Any thoughts on this? My thinking is that hot air rises and if the lid was better insulated it would retain a bit more heat.

Do it. Others have. I will soon.

Anything you can do to keep a more stable temperature will help you in the long run, right?

I think it would help if your going to do 5 gallon batches leaving a lot of empty space in the cooler. If your doing 10 gallon batches I don't think it would matter much. I have a 5 gallon cooler and haven't done anything to the lid. I only loose 1-2 degrees temperature during a 1 hour mash. But then, the cooler is either full to the top or within an inch or 2 from being full. When it's cold out, (35 was about the coldest I've brewed) I usually drape a doubled up bath towel over the top.

I was thinking the same thing. It sounds pretty simple as long as the foam distributes evenly through the lid. I do 5 gallon batches in a 10 gallon cooler and I am only losing about 1-2 degrees in an hour. I guess if I knew it would be an easy modification I would do it. But I would hate to waste a ton of time, or worse, ruin my lid for something that would only provide a marginal benefit.

It makes some difference. I have both lids on my set up filled with expandable foam. I loose about 1 degree over 1 hour.

There will be 2 holes on the bottom of the lid, glue or plug those shut. Drill your fill holes from the top, I drilled six to make sure the foam is easily disbursed.

The empty space does not make much of a difference if you preheat your cooler, at least in my experience.

I have never bothered foaming any of the lids on the coolers I have used and haven't had a problem. I think I read a post whereby a guy tested before and after foaming and did not report a large difference. Maybe I'm just lazy and hear what I like to hear??

Back