10 gallon batch fermenting apparatus

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dmbshen41

Reaction score
Does anyone know of a good (preferably inexpensive) container that we could use to fermenter ten gallon batches.

I think many people use two ale pails or carboys. I know it's not one fermenter, but it's manageable if you need to move them, and a 12 to 15 gallon (keep in mind you'll need head room for the fermentaion) fermenters are expensive compared to a couple buckets. I've seen some on ebay for a couple hundred.

dmbshen41 said:
Does anyone know of a good (preferably inexpensive) container that we could use to fermenter ten gallon batches.

I use a sanke keg as a fermenter. I also have a 20 gallon, Rubbermaid brute garbage can that is food grade. I paid $20 for the garbage can. I put a garbage bag over the top like a big airlock.

cadillacandy said:
I use a sanke keg as a fermenter. I also have a 20 gallon, Rubbermaid brute garbage can that is food grade. I paid $20 for the garbage can. I put a garbage bag over the top like a big airlock.

How did you rig up the sanke to ferment?

dmbshen41 said:
How did you rig up the sanke to ferment?

I just jammed a stopper and airlock in it. I also put about a gallon of water in it and boiled for 20 mins to sanitize before putting wort in to it.

For teh sanke you can also take an orange carboyboy cap and dunk it into boiling water for minute or two and it will stretch over the top. Also you may want to check out "Completely Closed Pressurized Fermentation".

Make sure wherever you put the fermenter you can siphon out of it in place to keg or bottle. 10 gallons will weigh somewhere around 83 lbs. You don't want to have to move that around after it's in place.

This looks like a good choice here, is this the unit you use? And if so any problems while using it?

Haven't used them personally. I know lots of people on this forum have though. Just do a search for "Vittles Vault" and I'm sure you'll find plenty of feedback. I was going to order a few but then the LHBS I work at starting carrying bulk malt extract which comes in 14 gallon plastic drums that make perfect fermentors for 10 gallon batches...

I think the easiest would be to put it in two buckets. They are relatively cheap, and would give you a chance to try two different yeasts on the same beer too if you want.

I also use a keg. Mine is a 50l, so roughly 13 gallons. I use an orange cap and put tubes on both holes for blow offs. Works well. Right now it's full of edworts apfelwein (spelling?). Next will probably be an ESB

Kahler said:
I also use a keg. Mine is a 50l, so roughly 13 gallons. I use an orange cap and put tubes on both holes for blow offs. Works well. Right now it's full of edworts apfelwein (spelling?). Next will probably be an ESB

I would think that a keg as fermenter would be hard to clean, is this the case?

I would think that a keg as fermenter would be hard to clean, is this the case?

I used to use kegs as a fermenter. I thought they weren't too bad to clean. I soaked, I used high pressure. One day I decided I wanted to turn one of my kegs into a HLT and had a hole cut in the top. I was grossed out by the look of the inside. The bottom was clean, which is about the only part you can see when you look in. The sides were horrible. Got rid of my other kegs I used as fermenters and bottle the vittles vaults.

I'm with you Vebra, as hard as it is to clean a carboy & get all the crud out, how in the world can you tell if the Sanke is clean

I'm surprised no one has mentioned the blue 15g barrels that any LHBS should have to dispense LME. Most LHBSs will either give you their empties or sell them to you for very cheap.

Remember, with the increased fermentation volume comes the need for better/more capable temp control. With two ferm buckets the fermentation will produce less heat AND you have the option of running experiments like different yeast in each container, same yeast different temps, dry hop one and not the other, etc.

I don't worry that much about cleaning the Sanke. I used to use a carboy brush and PBW to clean it, and just assumed that it was clean afterwards. I would then toss it on a burner with a few gallons of water in it and let the steam sterilize the inside of it.

Since, I've bought this: http://www.carboycleaner.com/buy-carboy-cleaner.html

I have to think working that carboy cleaner (the large one for kegs) around with a drill while the keg is full of PBW solution is getting it clean.

Either way, since I always rinse it and then steam-sterilize it when I'm done, I don't expect cleanliness to be an issue. When you use the KILL IT WITH FIRE!!! sanitizing/sterilizing method, it gets the job done.

I'm surprised no one has mentioned the blue 15g barrels that any LHBS should have to dispense LME. Most LHBSs will either give you their empties or sell them to you for very cheap.

Remember, with the increased fermentation volume comes the need for better/more capable temp control. With two ferm buckets the fermentation will produce less heat AND you have the option of running experiments like different yeast in each container, same yeast different temps, dry hop one and not the other, etc.

my LHBS gave me one the other day. had about 2 lbs of LME left in it. also had some leftover hops from last brew day & could have harvested some yeast from a couple Bell's Ambers. could have brewed a 2½ gallon batch

just didn't have an extra FV! the irony is deadly

IMG_8312.jpg

just moved up to full boil on 5 gallon batch, so I'm not sure I'll be using it any time soon.

My LHBS deals in bulk LME for their rather large brew on premises operation. They use and sell the 15gal plastic casks as fermenters. $10 for the cask alone or $15 which includes a bung, airlock, and 2 disposable food grade bags.

I'm not entirely sure how they rack out of the bag without getting yeast, but I'm rather sure they filter when they transfer to a keg for their bottling system.

Latest posts

Back