10 gal half grain double steep?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

660_Memphis

Reaction score
I just made a keggle and was looking into if i could do a BIAB 10 gallon batch with it. Everyone seemed to say that the grain would weigh too much and displace too much water to contain in the keg. I am trying to brew a pumpkin beer that would require 19.47 pounds of grains for 10 gallons which you can find here

I was wondering if I could possibly do a steep with half of the grain and water, add the other half of the water, and do another steep with the other half of the grains. I figured this would be a little faster than doing a full steep and boil of two 5 gallon batches but wasn't sure if there would be a problem or if it would even save enough time over just doing the full process twice. Thanks for any tips!

I'm not sure what you are using for a grain bag when I was BIAB I used paint strainer bags and you could use 2 of them and split up your grain so it's easier to handle and put them both in. If you did that I would add water till its almost at the top so if you need some more volume you could do a quick sparge to make up your volume to 13ish gallons (which is what I shoot for when I make 10 gallons using a keggle) what you are trying to do is possible you just might have to get a little creative.

Yes, you can make 10 gallons in a keggle. Whenever I push my capacity a little, I add top up water before the boil.

Have a look at my photos to get an idea. I have used a grain bill that size.

Back