10 ft hoses too long?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

macabra11

Reaction score
I just ordered all of my kegging/tower equipment for my keezer and had them put 10 ft beer lines on instead of 5 footers. I did this because of all the posts that talk about too short of lines, and how they cause foam etc. Is there such a thing as TOO long of a line? I plan on keeping the keezer around 36-37º (I like my beer nice and cold :cool:), so my thinking is the longer lines will give me a nice low psi pour coming out of the tower tap. What do you guys think?

I use 10ft. lines and I think that is the standard. Here's what I'm running:

10' x 3/16" Beer Line
12psi serving - perfect for about 2.6 vols of CO2 @ 37F
1/4" Bore 3.5" Shank taps - mounted 4" above kegs

Makes for a pretty quick and smooth pour, with no foaming issues.

A too-long line slows the pour a little. Line balancing is for people who want an exactly timed pour, but that means changing the lines for different beers. My lines are 12-15', so I can serve anything from a porter to a cider without changing the lines.

Except for the soda line which is 25 feet.

Think of the length of line like resistance. The longer the line, the more resistance there is.
This means the longer the line...the slower the beer will come out because it has to overcome that resistance. But...you can crank up the pressure to overcome the resistance instead...which will cause the liquid to be more highly carbonated, but pour at the same rate without foaming up.

Great guys. I will stay the course with 10 footers, and all will be right with the world.

So if I want some more Foam/Head on my beer I would increase the psi in my system? I have a 10ft line and I seem to get a better creamer foam head on my stout I brewed with lower temps in my Fridge also but will cooler temps and A higher PSI will I get a better foam head?

So if I want some more Foam/Head on my beer I would increase the psi in my system? I have a 10ft line and I seem to get a better creamer foam head on my stout I brewed with lower temps in my Fridge also but will cooler temps and A higher PSI will I get a better foam head?

Actually, you should decrease the line. If you turn up the PSI you are ultimatley adding more carbonation to your beer.

I bought a bunch of beer line and made several lenghts with a cobra tap and liquid QD on each one. I simply pick the line that matches my PSI. The other thing I can do with cobra taps, is raise my glass, as elevation difference adds resistance also.

For using a tower, you could probably use a disconnect on your tower line, so that you can throw in, or take away some lengh. My cousin has a 3head tower each with a diggerent lengh on hose. One is for stout, one is for ale, and one is for Wheatbeers, so they are prebalanced to the serving pressure of the style.

Lower temps makes the beer absorb more volumes of CO2. This can also be achieved by adding pressure. But...if you go too high, it will foam like crazy which is obviously bad.

Back