10-30P to L6-30P Adapter?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cnash

Reaction score
So, I received my Brew-Boss and I just (this past weekend) moved into a new rental home. The dryer connection is a older style 10-30R, can I just use a pigtail adapter from 10-30P to L6-30R?
I have been reading that the 10-30s aren't grounded, but I also notice on Brew-Boss' website they state that if you have a different connector to just cut it off and swap to the other connector type.

I have the inline GFCI that is also L6-30, so I am looking into what options I have without rewiring a rental home.

Thanks!

Last edited:
The third (non-hot) wire in the outlet can be used either as a ground or neutral, since ground and neutral are tied together in the main service panel. So, yes you can just use a 10-30 to L6-30 pigtail. All of this assumes the 240V Brew Boss does not use any 120V anywhere (since it comes with a three prong plug, it shouldn't be using any 120V.)

Brew on :mug:

The cheapest option is to buy a new 10-30 plug at HD and wire it instead of L60-30. It costs around $10 or so.

The third (non-hot) wire in the outlet can be used either as a ground or neutral, since ground and neutral are tied together in the main service panel. So, yes you can just use a 10-30 to L6-30 pigtail. All of this assumes the 240V Brew Boss does not use any 120V anywhere (since it comes with a three prong plug, it shouldn't be using any 120V.)

This is correct, the Brew Boss does not use 120V at all. It has a 240V/30A switched outlet for the element, a 240V/5A switched outlet for the pump, and a 240V/1A non-switched outlet for the tablet.

OP, I'd tell your landlord you have a 240V appliance that you want to use safely and correctly, and to do that the no-longer-standard outlet needs to be replaced with one of these. Offer to pay for the outlet, and do the work if he/she is amenable to that.

As long as you can turn off that circuit, replacing the outlet will take less than 10 minutes, and will also allow you to ensure that you have a proper earth ground, which is a requirement in order for your GFCI to function.

This is correct, the Brew Boss does not use 120V at all. It has a 240V/30A switched outlet for the element, a 240V/5A switched outlet for the pump, and a 240V/1A non-switched outlet for the tablet.

OP, I'd tell your landlord you have a 240V appliance that you want to use safely and correctly, and to do that the no-longer-standard outlet needs to be replaced with one of these. Offer to pay for the outlet, and do the work if he/she is amenable to that.

As long as you can turn off that circuit, replacing the outlet will take less than 10 minutes, and will also allow you to ensure that you have a proper earth ground, which is a requirement in order for your GFCI to function.

I would also have to rewire the dryer. If it is more cost effective to rewire the dryer and change the outlet, I would do that. They wouldn't even know the difference I'm sure.

I would also have to rewire the dryer. If it is more cost effective to rewire the dryer and change the outlet, I would do that. They wouldn't even know the difference I'm sure.

Gotcha. Didn't realize you had an ancient dryer to go with the ancient dryer outlet. :) Most of the time folks that are using these old dryer outlets, there's nothing actively using them (like in my old house). that changes the calculus somewhat. You're probably back to building a pigtail like you were describing.

Gotcha. Didn't realize you had an ancient dryer to go with the ancient dryer outlet. :) Most of the time folks that are using these old dryer outlets, there's nothing actively using them (like in my old house). that changes the calculus somewhat. You're probably back to building a pigtail like you were describing.

Funny thing is... The dryer still has the stickers on it and it's less than 2 years old. o_O

So, I contacted Darin from Brew-Boss and this is what he said.

You should easily be able to make a converter cable that uses a short piece (2-3 feet) of 8 or 10 gauge wire with the matching plug to your receptacle on one side and a L6-30R on the other end. If the receptacle only has 3 prongs, there are 2 hot and ground, no neutral.

So I should be good with any of the above I would assume.

Back