1 st try at Apfelwein. Will it work ?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

twintrades

Reaction score
Well after alot of searching i found a place Around me that sells brewing supplies. But i found out they close 2 hrs earlier than there web site said.... And its a hardware store. LOl So with an impending snow storm i decided to try and wing a 1 gallon batch of apfelwein.

I have Camden tablets that i used to serialize after washing. Air dried ( mostly)

1 Gallon apple juice ( wallmart )
1 cup table sugar
1 pkt of lavin D-47

I bought a 1 gallon container of apple juice its called Indian summer. And poured some juice into a clean container and in another container i poured more and 1 cup of cane sugar. ( i know shoulda use corn but hey store was closed) Sugar mixed in good i poured that back in. Then mixed some warm juice with my d-47 yeast. ( yep just warm) It went to town shortly. While that was working i took the cap and drilled a hole i could shove the air lock in. And sealed it with duct tape on top. Sterilized the cap and air lock. Filled lock with boiled water. Now i forgot to take any readings.... Durr.

Pitched the yeast and slapped my top back on sealed with ductape.

Yeast was going to be for mead but got ancey and saw someone used it for apfelwein and thought hey it worked for them ! Btw our house temp is 68 deg. Should i set it on a shelf with a heat blanket and try to keep it warmer ?

Let me know if i screwed up !

You will get Apfelwein as long as your Apple Juice does not contain preservatives. You have added a good yeast to Apple Juice and sanitized everything. 68 degrees is fine.

It won't be EdWort's, but it will be Apfelwein.

Sounds good, but make sure the bottle can breath otherwise the thing will explode. The idea way to do it is to use an airlock, but you can just take the lid off and put some paper towel over the top to stop anything from getting in for primary.

Apfelwein is fun an damn tasty. Enjoy!!

Dicky

Back