1 package of yeast and multiple batches

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Walshy87

Reaction score
Is it a bad idea to split one package of liquid yeast over multiple carboys? I'm going to make two 1g and one 4g batches and was hoping to get away with one. Any input would be very helpfuk

I have done that, it seems to work fine. Typically I think the package will work for more than the amount is listed for, as in, it is more rated for the worst case scenario. High gravity (i.e. high target abv) makes it harder for yeast ot multiply and then I believe it is more critical to use adequate starting yeast. Otherwise provided it has enough oxygen and nutrients and the right temperature it will just multiply on its own.

You should make a starter of proper size to ferment all the beer you are making. Check out mrmalty.com and yeastcalc.com to determine how much yeast you need.

In general every beer over 1.030 (5 gallon batch) will require more yeast than is included in either a White Labs vial or Wyeast smackpack.

I think you might want to consider just springing for more yeast. You follow the recommendations because you need a very healthy starting population of your chosen yeast to outcompete all the other little beasties that might be in your mead. Also, don't think sanitizing or even boiling your ingredients means your safe to split your starter yeast. You will never be able to kill all the things that might compete with your yeast in a home brewing environment.

You are risking spoiling your mead with $50-$100 of honey in order to save a couple bucks on yeast...

Back