1 gallon strawberry mead question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Beerzilla81

Reaction score
Hey everyone I've got a question. I brewed the JOAM recipe and it came out great :) And I'm about to tweak that recipe a bit but with three pounds of strawberries. Will the 3lbs be too much for the one gallon jug? Im not adding anything extra. Maybe a little extra of the Fleismann's yeast. Like I said I'm using the JOAM recipe and throwing in strawberries. Any advice is appreciated :)

Hey everyone I've got a question. I brewed the JOAM recipe and it came out great :) And I'm about to tweak that recipe a bit but with three pounds of strawberries. Will the 3lbs be too much for the one gallon jug? Im not adding anything extra. Maybe a little extra of the Fleismann's yeast. Like I said I'm using the JOAM recipe and throwing in strawberries. Any advice is appreciated :)
So is that using strawbs instead of orange or making a batch of JAO and then adding the strawbs later ?

You'll find that if its the former, most fruit recipes are best started in buckets. They can produce a hell of lot of foam and will erupt quite easily, especially in the earlier part of the ferment.

Perhaps if you post exactly what you're doing with the intended ingredients list, one of us can give a better suggestion .......

So is that using strawbs instead of orange or making a batch of JAO and then adding the strawbs later ?

You'll find that if its the former, most fruit recipes are best started in buckets. They can produce a hell of lot of foam and will erupt quite easily, especially in the earlier part of the ferment.

Perhaps if you post exactly what you're doing with the intended ingredients list, one of us can give a better suggestion .......

I plan on using the JAO recipe, just leaving out the raisins and cinnamon. Adding the strawberries along wiith the orange. I'll attach a blow off hose.

The 3lb of strawberries are fine but if you try and fit all that into a 1gallon jug you will find not having a lot of liquid leftover. It is good to get the JAOM recipe started in a bucket up to the full gallon and then add strawberries in a mesh bag so your total volume will be closer to 1.25 - 1.5 gallons. Then press the strawberries after about a month and transfer it all to your gallon jug with airlock. Then wait for the orange slices to sink to the bottom and for it to clear. Then bottle like normal.

Back