1-Gallon Brewers UNITE!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Cool, then i will use that yeast for a few more brews, should i increase the dose as time passes?

Well, last Wednedsay the wife and I had our first 1 gallon brew day. I had two surprises: First, my little mash tun loses heat like nobody's business - it lost 3 or 4 degrees in 30 minutes! Second, cleanup was so much faster than a full on 5 or 10 gallon brew day. Since I was cooling with an ice water bath, I didn't have to bust out or clean my CFC, which saved a bunch of time. And we just kept moving and cleaning as we went, which is my typical MO, but just the same, we were done in about 4.5 hours - and that included a 90 minute boil since we were using 50% pilsner malt.

Looking forward to how this one turns out.

Cool, then i will use that yeast for a few more brews, should i increase the dose as time passes?
If you've had the packet in the fridge for more then 6 months, then it wouldn't hurt to increase the amount of dried yeast you are using by about 25%.

Well, last Wednedsay the wife and I had our first 1 gallon brew day. I had two surprises: First, my little mash tun loses heat like nobody's business - it lost 3 or 4 degrees in 30 minutes! Second, cleanup was so much faster than a full on 5 or 10 gallon brew day. Since I was cooling with an ice water bath, I didn't have to bust out or clean my CFC, which saved a bunch of time. And we just kept moving and cleaning as we went, which is my typical MO, but just the same, we were done in about 4.5 hours - and that included a 90 minute boil since we were using 50% pilsner malt.

Looking forward to how this one turns out.

I've been absent from this thread, so sorry if this has been covered. But if the pot your mashing in will fit in the oven, set the oven to 170. Pre-heat it then turn it off with about 5 minutes left in your boil. Leave it off, put the pot inside, sir every 10-15 minutes...I lose almost no heat. Just an idea.

Fascinating thread!

I solved the mashtun issues with a thermal cooker. Admittedly an expensive luxury, but it does the job wonderfully.

If anyone is interested, I have put a few pictures on my website: http://www.picobrew.co.uk

Any questions, just message me! Will keep an eye on this thread anyway

Lee

How are all of you doing gravity readings on these 1 gallon batches? I've been trying to decide how to do it without pulling 8 ounces at a time. On a small batch that starts to add up quickly.

I just started using a refractometer on my last batch. Then comparing readings with nb site on refractometer calculations.

How are all of you doing gravity readings on these 1 gallon batches? I've been trying to decide how to do it without pulling 8 ounces at a time. On a small batch that starts to add up quickly.

I just started using a refractometer on my last batch. Then comparing readings with nb site on refractometer calculations.
That's a good way to do things.

With a hydrometer, I just make sure the sample tube and hydrometer are clean before starting. Then pour the sample back in.

What's everyone's favorite fermentation vessel for small batches like this?

I've only made a few batches and I've only used the gallon carboy that came in the kit. Its nice for someone who likes to watch the fermentation. Like me.

shoreman said:
What's everyone's favorite fermentation vessel for small batches like this?

Glass jugs from cider/juice or jug wine. We also have some 2 G buckets for larger batches.

Thanks guys I like the idea of a single fermentation with a spigot for straight bottling - anyone doing that?

I am using something like this right now i found. Down side i found was when i took a sample from the spigot it seemed cloudy.
Picked this up today, was 7 bucks at meijer. Was thinking possibility of it.being dual purpose. Fermenting and bottling. I know the spigot wouldn't he great for fermenting, but I can always plug it.

View attachment 136329

I bought one of those Brew Demon conical fernentors and have been using it the last 6 batches. Works nice, I bottle right from the fermentor.

Have you limited yourself to 2-gallons, or have you been able to squeeze out more capacity?

Just wondering. Got one awhile ago, but have been caught up with other stuff. About time to get back to brewing...

for those of you who bottle from the fermenter ... do you add the extra sugar for carbonation into the fermenter? or the bottles?

I went on BeerSmith and saw they had recipes online. I found this one and tried to scale it from 5 gal to 1 gal. I'm interested in trying a few 1 gallon brews so I can get a feel for what various hops taste like. I'd like to make my own extract brew eventually but I am unsure how various hopes taste.

I read that there aren't really a ton of extract recipes out there but a 5 gallon recipe is easily scaled. I want to be sure I did this right. I converted pounds to ounces (using 16 for everything) and then divided by 5. The link to the original recipe is included. I appreciate the help. The recipe didn't mention yeast, I'll have to research that of course.

Screen Shot 2013-09-11 at 11.39.00 AM.png

for those of you who bottle from the fermenter ... do you add the extra sugar for carbonation into the fermenter? or the bottles?

I actually have Northern Brewer Fizz Drops. You're supposed to stick one in a 12oz bottle and then fill beer over it. No need to add anything to the fermenter.

I didn't end up using the Fizz Drops because I read they either didn't carbonate, they under carbonated, or over carbonated. I believe that's because the size of the drops are actually different - some are completely intact, others have pieces broken off.

I'll use them at some point for some brews, but wanted the best chance of success with my first attempts.

I do like the idea of being able to adjust the level of carbonation based on the priming sugar added. So, I ended up getting some dextrose and a 6.5 gallon bottling bucket (though that is way overkill, it'll be great whenever I do larger batches). Was pretty cheap from a local shop, and I got to go in and see the offerings they had :)

Have you limited yourself to 2-gallons, or have you been able to squeeze out more capacity?

Just wondering. Got one awhile ago, but have been caught up with other stuff. About time to get back to brewing...

I've done just 2 gallon batches mostly but also did a couple 1 gallon batches too. Seemed like alot of head space in with the 1 gallon but worked just fine.

I've been using the fizz drops as well, usually bottle most in 12 oz. bottles but I've done a couple of 1/2 gallon growlers using 6 drops in them. Works well and it's very convenient.

I've done just 2 gallon batches mostly but also did a couple 1 gallon batches too. Seemed like alot of head space in with the 1 gallon but worked just fine.

Does it look like there is sufficient head space to do a 2.5 gallon brew? It would be nice to try simply cutting 5-gallon recipes in half.

I have a Simcoe IPA ready to go sometime soon.

ariaya said:

I just use coopers carbonation drops, they work fine.

I just went and bought a 1.5 gallon sized pitcher and used that as my "bottling bucket" I then used my auto siphon to bottle

I went on BeerSmith and saw they had recipes online. I found this one and tried to scale it from 5 gal to 1 gal. I'm interested in trying a few 1 gallon brews so I can get a feel for what various hops taste like. I'd like to make my own extract brew eventually but I am unsure how various hopes taste.

I read that there aren't really a ton of extract recipes out there but a 5 gallon recipe is easily scaled. I want to be sure I did this right. I converted pounds to ounces (using 16 for everything) and then divided by 5. The link to the original recipe is included. I appreciate the help. The recipe didn't mention yeast, I'll have to research that of course.

View attachment 147560

Take a careful look at a couple of things.

The hops are in ounces already, so divide that number by 5. They should be .6 and .2 oz originally, divided by 5 = .12 and .04.

(That seems like a small amount of aroma hops in the original, and would be a few pellets when you divide it out.)

Also, you might consider converting the LME to DME so that you don't have waste. DME is only 75 or 80% of the amount of LME. Especially with small batches, it is easier to measure and to then save the leftovers. You could buy 1# of DME OR you could buy a 3# bag and have enough for multiple batches.

Looks good though!

I a trying to find something to brew soon. these are my ingredients. Just not sure what to brew. I do not like IPAs.
2# German Pils
4 #German wheat
1 # German dark Munich
1 # German Vienna malt
1 # carapils
1 # 10
1 # 80
1 # 60
1 # midnight wheat
1 # black patent
1 # aromatic malt
1 # pale facet
1 # golden light DME

Looking for something to use maybe some midnight wheat in. Any suggestions will be awesome.

Mooglebass said:
I a trying to find something to brew soon. these are my ingredients. Just not sure what to brew. I do not like IPAs.
2# German Pils
4 #German wheat
1 # German dark Munich
1 # German Vienna malt
1 # carapils
1 # 10
1 # 80
1 # 60
1 # midnight wheat
1 # black patent
1 # aromatic malt
1 # pale facet
1 # golden light DME

Looking for something to use maybe some midnight wheat in. Any suggestions will be awesome.

Go to the Briess website and see what recipes they have with midnight wheat.

Are any online shops selling smaller buckets with spigots ?

There used to be a company called smallbatchhomebrew or something like that. They sold 2 gallon buckets with spigot and a volume measurement up the side. The website takes you to children's clothing now so I don't know what is going on. Glad I got one when I did but you could easily make one

2# German Pils
4 #German wheat
1 # German dark Munich
1 # German Vienna malt
1 # carapils
1 # 10
1 # 80
1 # 60
1 # midnight wheat
1 # black patent
1 # aromatic malt
1 # pale facet
1 # golden light DME

With all that wheat you have i would say probably some type of dark wheat beer. Maybe a dunkel-weizen, or some sort of midnight wheat inspired beer. Play with it on some brewing software, if you don't have the software i would recommend brewtarget, it free and effective.

Mooglebass said:
I a trying to find something to brew soon. these are my ingredients. Just not sure what to brew.

Looks like you got the makings for a Schwarzbier, son!

Mooglebass said:
2# German Pils
4 #German wheat
1 # German dark Munich
1 # German Vienna malt
1 # carapils
1 # 10
1 # 80
1 # 60
1 # midnight wheat
1 # black patent
1 # aromatic malt
1 # pale facet
1 # golden light DME

You could definitely get a Belgian Xmas beer out of that with the midnight wheat too I think one of the stone verticles had it in the bill.

There used to be a company called smallbatchhomebrew or something like that. They sold 2 gallon buckets with spigot and a volume measurement up the side. The website takes you to children's clothing now so I don't know what is going on. Glad I got one when I did but you could easily make one
That's a good idea. I think I'll add it to the list.

Something else that works is a dispensing bucket for frozen margarita mix. The spigot is cheap, and it's to close to the bottom of the bucket for anything with much trub in it though. Another option would be a beverage dispenser. The spigots on those are usually rather high, so you have to tilt the container to get a good yield.

Today's plan: Stop by LHBS get growler filled pick up ingredients to Knock out two MO/Smash 1g batches while watching the big game today at 3:30. Using left over Williamette for one. Anybody have suggestions on the other batch for hops?

Got to love 1 gallon brewing.

Leadgolem said:
That's a good way to do things.

With a hydrometer, I just make sure the sample tube and hydrometer are clean before starting. Then pour the sample back in.

I sanitize both and pour it back also.

Latest posts

Back