• We have a new forum and it needs your help! Homebrewing Deals is a forum to post whatever deals and specials you find that other homebrewers might value! Includes coupon layering, Craigslist finds, eBay finds, Amazon specials, etc.

1-Gallon Brewers UNITE!

HomeBrewTalk.com - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Community.

Help Support Homebrew Talk:

BongoYodeler

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
I'm curious about something. I've been brewing one gallon batches for about six years, but almost never brew the same recipe back to back, often I will only repeat a recipe when I drank the last bottle of that specific batch. Someone mentioned that it is not really possible to brew consistent batches on a small scale. Does anyone have info on whether one can really be consistent on a small scale, where a fraction of an ounce of Hops can make a huge difference in IBU's?
I recenty brewed the same recipe on three consective days. The only thing I changed was the hops used in each. I bought 10 lbs of base grain (2-row) and used 3.33 lbs in each of the first two and 3.50 lbs in the third as there was a shade more than 10 lbs in the bag which I didn't actually weigh initially. I briefly thought about using only 3.33 lbs of the final 3.50 but decided to throw it all in.

Numbers for each:
SG: 1.050, 1.049, 1.051
OG: 1.064, 1.062, 1.064
FG: 1.014, 1.014, 1.014

So, they were all quite close, and likely within the margin of error considering the manual process of biab as opposed to a more automated brew process.

The hopping amounts and times were the same for all three, as was the dry hopping amounts and days.

The color appeared to be very close between all three, but I'll know better when I pour them side-by-side.

They were bottled on three consective days and in the same order they were brewed. I'm shooting to open a bottle of each on or around the 2 1/2 week mark of being bottled, which is the weekend of May 9/10.

HemanBrew

Reaction score
Idea for small batch brewer's to take SG measurements without oxidation.

Do a "side batch" from the same wort so that you can make fg measurements from there without oxidizing the main batch. And you get some more beer (and you can compare how much the oxidation effects the final beer).

I have done this few times now.

And when the side batch has reached its FG I can compete it to the main batch to make shure it is all fermented completely.

Anyone else done this?
IMG_20200509_003813.jpg

Any thoughts?

Antonio Martinez

Reaction score
Looks like an interesting approach for those who ferment with one gallon carboys.
I do something similar with a extra hydrometer & flask I have so I get constant gravity readings. No airlock. Plus it takes less volume since I'm only using enough to float the hydrometer.

Antonio Martinez

Reaction score
Do you have photos you can share?
I don't have anything fermenting at the moment as I just bottled up a batch. What I do though is pull a sample after I have added, oxygenated, and mixed the yeast and add this to the hydrometer flask and place it in the ferm chamber with my fermenter. When the hydrometer sample reaches my anticipated fg I give it a couple days to be sure there's no change and then package.

Shawnstve

Reaction score
I’m new to this, and starting out with 1 gallon batches. I really like the smaller size. Might want to do some 2-3 gallons at one point to get more out of a specific recipe I really like or something. But for now, I’m enjoying the versatility. I have two batches going right now. A simple porter and a low hop IPA or high hop pale ale. (It’s right on the cusp of both). Anyway, it allows me to try different recipes and see how much I enjoy all this without feeling like I’ve gotta guzzle so much beer to be able to have room for the next batch. Lol!

also for the hydrometer issue of loosing so much of your beer. I have been sanitizing it and checking the gravity right before putting in fermenter, then since it’s sanitized, drooping that liquid back in. Seems like it’s working so far. Although I saw on northern brewer they have a hydrometer you sanitize and then leave in the carboy... that looks awesome! But it’s pricy!

DaleO

Reaction score
My suggestions were more along the lines of bringing together a sub-community of people with a common interest; properly scaled recipes, smaller equipment, etc... just an idea.
I would be interested in that! Currently only brewing 1 gallon BIABs because it allows me to brew more frequently.

BrewnWKopperKat

Reaction score
Although I saw on northern brewer they have a hydrometer you sanitize and then leave in the carboy... that looks awesome! But it’s pricy!
If you are referring to TILT, this is an interesting read: TIL that Tilt Hydrometers don't fit in 1 gallon carboys

There appears to be a hydrometer that will float in a one gallon carboy - whether or not one can read it with all the crud that's often on the top of the carboy during fermentation is the next question.

Shawnstve

Reaction score
If you are referring to TILT, this is an interesting read: TIL that Tilt Hydrometers don't fit in 1 gallon carboys

There appears to be a hydrometer that will float in a one gallon carboy - whether or not one can read it with all the crud that's often on the top of the carboy during fermentation is the next question.
Ohhh I didn’t know it doesn’t fit. And I think it’s digital. Like it sends the info to your phone, so you can read it if your semi close to it without needing to visually see it. At least from what I read. Yeah seems cool! Didn’t know it didn’t fit a 1 gallon. Darn!

BrewnWKopperKat

Reaction score
Many "problems" that involve fermenting in one gallon carboys seem to disappear when using NB's Little BMB or a two gallon food grade bucket. Also, the FAQ at TILT's web site has dimensions, so one could do some measurements before spending money on one.