1 Gallon BIAB

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

McUbermensch

Reaction score
I'm experimenting with an Atrial Rubicite clone and I plan on doing it all grain BIAB. Here's what I'm working with so far:

2lbs Pilsner (2 Row)

8.0oz Malted wheat

2.5 grams Golding to get to 8-10 IBUS

I plan on using bottle dregs from Atrial Rubicite to ferment then adding raspberries and oak chips once fermentation slows.

This will be my first BIAB and I have no idea if the old tried and true 1.25 quarts per pound will work here. As that wouldn't even give me a gallon pre mash I don't see how this could be possible. What amount of what should I use to achieve a post boil volume of one gallon with an OG of 1.056? Beersmith suggests 8.73 quarts of water, does this seem right?

Any help is greatly appreciated.

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

Others will chime in with more precise instructions, but to my understanding you will mash with close to the full prebiol volume of water. As you don't technically need to sparge in the same way mashtun all grain brewing is done.

1.25 qt/gal is a volume used in a traditional sparging setup. You can sparge with BIAB and I often do,but many others don't and use full volume for strike water. Your volume sounds close for a no sparge BIAB, but you can certainly find a BIAB calculator if you google it to confirm.

I almost only do 1 gal biab. Went from doing 5 gal batches with my friend to the simple and versatile small batch biab. Your grain bill is right on the money, hops seem a little light unless you plan on tossing them in for the whole boil. The measurements below are what I yield consistent 1 gal batches with 80% pilsner and 20% speciality mix.

5 qt strike water to 163F...add grains and mash at 153F for 60min

Place pasta strainer over bag and sparge 4 qt 175F to get target pre boil gravity...it should be around 2 gal assuming an hour boil.

Post boil should yield you 1.2-1.4 gal.

Post primary will be 1.0 after trub loss and filtering.

Hope it gets you on the right track.

Cheers

I'm experimenting with an Atrial Rubicite clone and I plan on doing it all grain BIAB. Here's what I'm working with so far:

2lbs Pilsner (2 Row)

8.0oz Malted wheat

2.5 grams Golding to get to 8-10 IBUS

I plan on using bottle dregs from Atrial Rubicite to ferment then adding raspberries and oak chips once fermentation slows.

This will be my first BIAB and I have no idea if the old tried and true 1.25 quarts per pound will work here. As that wouldn't even give me a gallon pre mash I don't see how this could be possible. What amount of what should I use to achieve a post boil volume of one gallon with an OG of 1.056? Beersmith suggests 8.73 quarts of water, does this seem right?

Any help is greatly appreciated.

That volume of water sounds about right for a full volume mash and a 60 minute boil. I usually start with 11quarts and finish with 1.5-gallons. Don't be afraid to squeeze the bag to get all the liquid you'll need for the boil.

I almost only do 1 gal biab. Went from doing 5 gal batches with my friend to the simple and versatile small batch biab. Your grain bill is right on the money, hops seem a little light unless you plan on tossing them in for the whole boil. The measurements below are what I yield consistent 1 gal batches with 80% pilsner and 20% speciality mix.

5 qt strike water to 163F...add grains and mash at 153F for 60min

Place pasta strainer over bag and sparge 4 qt 175F to get target pre boil gravity...it should be around 2 gal assuming an hour boil.

Post boil should yield you 1.2-1.4 gal.

Post primary will be 1.0 after trub loss and filtering.

Hope it gets you on the right track.

Cheers

Thanks! I couldn't have asked for a better answer. One question, when I sparge with the pasta strainer is the bad suspended above the wort?

Using 5 qt to mash and 4 qt to sparge I hit my OG right on! Thanks for the info.

Too bad this is a sour and I'll have to wait a LONG time to see how it turns out.

As the great Tom Petty said, "The waiting is the hardest part."

Back