1% ABV wine (stupid Japanese laws)

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

yaeyama

Reaction score
Hi:

I was planning to brew my first batch of wine, here in Japan. I spent hundreds of dollars getting all the equipment and supplies I would need to brew 6 gallons (the equipment purchased within Japan, or shipped from outside the country, all result in exhorbitant costs). I ordered 7 kg. of fruit to get started.

But, home brewing anything over 1% is illegal in Japan. I knew about this fact getting into it, as plenty of English sites had mentioned this, but nobody bothered investigating the penalties involved. Well, I just have, and it is -- get this -- up to 5 years in prison and/or up to a 50 man yen (about $5000 USD) fine. Not to mention confiscation of your brewing equipment. Just for brewing some god damned wine for home use to enjoy with my wife.

Needless to say, I don't like the idea of going to jail, paying fines, losing my job and home, and probably being kicked out of the country, just because the greedy retards at the tax office think they are being slighted out of some tax revenue. So therefore, I am going to try to sell my brand new, unused carboys and larger fermenter and suck up the losses.

Theoretically, if I brew a smaller amount of wine and keep the ABV to 1% or less, I am fully in compliance. If I were to take my recipe for a 5 gallon batch and scale it for a 1 gallon batch, using only 20% of each ingredient (including the yeast packet), and figured out the OGV and FGV to get to 1%, would I actually end up with something that tasted like wine? I can't even fathom the -idea- of 1% wine. :(

Admittedly, if I were to ignore the law and go ahead and brew my batches as originally planned, I would -probably- be okay. Apparently the amount of mitsuzou (secret brewing) going on in the privacy of people's homes is considerable. You can find beer and wine brewing kits in department stores, online, etc. However, as a foreigner my status in this country is tenuous at best, so I have to keep my nose cleaner than the average citizen. :(

If only this country stopped electing all these old 75 year old geezers and started passing laws with common sense for a change. Why not just ammend the law to say something like, "For home use only, no sales of end product allowed, up to 30 litres a year will be exempt". Then thousands or more normally law-abiding citizens wouldn't be hardened criminals. :mad:

Sorry for the rant. But, your thoughts would be greatly appreciated. Do you think brewing a 1% wine is worthwhile? Or will I just end up with an insipid juice that is worthy more of the kitchen sink than the glass?

I think the only way to get a 1% wine that tastes good is to craft a real wine, then bring it up to about 180 degrees (F) until the alcohol evaporates off. I'm not sure if that's legal or not.

Intentionally making a 1% wine would probably result in a watery or overly sweet beverage that doesn't remotely resemble real wine.

Home brewing in Utah is illegal too, but it is not enforced and did not stop me or thousands of others.

Go for it, just don't talk about it.

Homebrew stores are illegal in Alabama too, but I've been in one...go figure.

Before you start selling off your gear why don't you just put it in storage?

That is unless you're planning on staying there. Then I would brew. Then you just need to be careful who you mention brewing to and sharing with...;)

Check with someone more knowledgeable. Particularly, someone who can speak the language.

I'm wondering whether it would be legal to make beer concentrate. For example, maybe make beer that is 10%ABV, bottle it, carbonate it, and then place directions on the bottle which clearly identify the product as beer concentrate and clearly direct the drinker to cut each bottle with 10 bottles of carbonated water.

Of course, whether or not you remember to do this is entirely up to you... ;)

Whats the deal man...they gonna come search your house? Just keep it in a closet and dont tell anyone about it. So long as yall dont share I dont see how they could know what your doing without invading your privacy. So long as yall keep it to yourselves I am sure you will be fine.

In short....piss on em....brew it anyway!

Shakz said:
Whats the deal man...they gonna come search your house? Just keep it in a closet and dont tell anyone about it. So long as yall dont share I dont see how they could know what your doing without invading your privacy. So long as yall keep it to yourselves I am sure you will be fine.

In short....piss on em....brew it anyway!

Remember, the constitution which protects our right to privacy in America has absolutely no authority whatsoever in Japan.

I don't know what Japan is like, legally speaking, but I suppose they must be like most other modern countries, which means they can't hassle you too much. But is an anonymous tip good enough to get your residence searched? Or them finding large amounts of spent grains in your trash? Or them having proof that you ordered equipment?

In America, none of those things will get a warrant. In Japan? I really have no clue.

yaeyama said:
Admittedly, if I were to ignore the law and go ahead and brew my batches as originally planned, I would -probably- be okay. Apparently the amount of mitsuzou (secret brewing) going on in the privacy of people's homes is considerable. You can find beer and wine brewing kits in department stores, online, etc. However, as a foreigner my status in this country is tenuous at best, so I have to keep my nose cleaner than the average citizen. :(
My girlfriend is from Japan (has lived in the U.S. for five years) so I thought I'd ask her opinion on your situation. Her response? Relax, don't worry, have a homebrew!! :mug:

Seriously, she says the law is not enforced, and is only there to provide a means of going after people who are operating unlicensed breweries/wineries for resale and avoiding taxes. She knows lots of people who make their own beer and sake, and it's simply not an issue. There are even websites and stores providing materials and information, which operate openly, so long as they provide a disclaimer about the law. Remember, alcohol and drinking are FAR more tolerated in Japan than in the states.

The only way the police would come visit is if there are numerous, serious complaints about you causing a problem for others. For example, if you were passing out homebrew to the local schoolkids, or creating sanitation issues in your building. Even then she says, you'd probably get a friendly knock on the door, advising you of the law.

She also says that they are far more tolerant of minor legal infractions by foreigners, as they assume you're not familiar with the law.

Seriously, she says you have absolutely nothing to worry about. Enjoy your hobby!

Id do it. I use to have 26 shall we say, not very legal, plants growing in one of my rooms. Now that I have a kid, I dont do that anymore. As far as Im concerned, there are lots of laws that were meant to be broken.

Back