1/3 sugar break in 72 hours?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JordanR

Reaction score
Hey peeps!

This is the second time ive blown through gravity points in 3 batches. How is it possible that the fermentation is moving so quickly and what do you recommend i do? Do i continue to degass?

How do i continue with my SNA as per batch buildr if I am already at 1/3 sugar break? I bought my nutrients from my local brewing shop, says Fermaid K and DAP on each of the packages, but im starting to question that.

Batch Name:Spiced Metheglin 2.0
Date:Aug 28Target Batch Size:6 gal / 22.7LTarget OG:1.105Target FG:1.000
Water Source and Treatment:springwater / 1 campden
1/3rd Sugar Break1.070
INGREDIENTS
AmountIngredientDate Added
8.108kgHoneyAug 28
12.00CloveAug 28
5 bagsTeaAug 28
38.00all spice berriesAug 28
6 sticks.Cinnimon stickAug 28
78gRaisins ChoppedAug 28
13.5gOrange Zest tspAug 28
6.5gVanilla BeanAug 28
610ggingerAug 28
Actual OG:1.106Actual Volume:6.3 gal / 24L
NUTRIENT MIXTURE
AmountNutrient Name
12.5gGo-ferm
8.4gFermaid K
15gDAP
STAGGERED NUTRIENT ADDITIONS
AmountDate AddedNotes
5.9gAug 2924 hours
5.9gAug 3048 hr
5.5gAug 3172 hr
1/3 s/b
YEAST
Rehydration
Yeast Strain:71BYeast Amount Used (g):10.0
Rehydration Nutrient:Go-fermRehydration Nutrient Amount (g):12.5
Rehydration Water Source:campden waterRehydration Water Amount (ml):250.0
COMBINING YEAST WITH MUST
Yeast Temperature:95.000Must Temperature:80.000
Temperature Difference:15.000Atempering Steps:2.000
MEASUREMENTS
WhenSGTemperatureOther Notes
Aug 281.10675
Aug 311.07077
ADJUSTMENTS
WhenAmountWhat was UsedOther Comments

Last edited:
Dan O, It's not the nutrients that themselves cause the volcanoes but the fact that IF -IF you add powder to a solution saturated with gas (in this case CO2) the gas nucleates around the particles and that nucleation allows the gas to form larger bubbles with far less energy than they would otherwise need. Solution is to dissolve the nutrients in liquid BEFORE you add them to the carboy OR use a wide mouthed bucket as your primary loosely covered with cloth. That enables far more of the CO2 to out-gas (no airlock) and the cloth covering encourages you to stir the mead or wine two or three times a day during the first days of active fermentation which also has the effect of de-gassing. But the cause of those volcanoes is nucleation and not so much the nutrients.

Dan O, It's not the nutrients that themselves cause the volcanoes but the fact that IF -IF you add powder to a solution saturated with gas (in this case CO2) the gas nucleates around the particles and that nucleation allows the gas to form larger bubbles with far less energy than they would otherwise need. Solution is to dissolve the nutrients in liquid BEFORE you add them to the carboy OR use a wide mouthed bucket as your primary loosely covered with cloth. That enables far more of the CO2 to out-gas (no airlock) and the cloth covering encourages you to stir the mead or wine two or three times a day during the first days of active fermentation which also has the effect of de-gassing. But the cause of those volcanoes is nucleation and not so much the nutrients.
Agreed, @bernardsmith. I never add dry nutrients, but, in fact, when I do make feeding additions, I spoon in the nutrients mixed with water one tablespoon @ a time, to avoid just that type of volcanic eruption. 😉 It takes me a minute longer, but, there's no mess like a mead mess. 😂😋

But if you add liquid with no granular quality there are no edges to cause nucleation and so nothing to erupt. The other thing is that if you are using a carboy as your primary the narrow neck can act to rifle the gases and so the volcano can paint your ceiling. Me? I use buckets as my primary so no rifling takes place.

I use buckets for primary as well, so if it foams up when I add nutrients it is not a problem. I always leave plenty of extra space in the bucket to avoid this type of problem.

Back