1/2 oz enough to dry hop?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Lando

Reaction score
So my american IPA is in primary and almost done. I did my hydro today and tasted a sample and it did not have much hop aroma to it.
I have 1/2oz of amarillo pellets (8.5%)left over that I was thinking about tossing in the secondary. Is this going to make much difference on a five gallon batch?

So my american IPA is in primary and almost done. I did my hydro today and tasted a sample and it did not have much hop aroma to it.
I have 1/2oz of amarillo pellets (8.5%)left over that I was thinking about tossing in the secondary. Is this going to make much difference on a five gallon batch?

It is not going to make a world of difference, but .5 oz of amarillo will add a little nice aroma. I would make sure that it is not bubbling at all anymore so the escaping C02 does take any of the aroma with it and then give it a week in there. I certainly don't think you would be wasting the .5 oz especially if it is already open.

Throw it in for sure. I always dry hop an IPA. It makes the difference between my Pale ales and IPA's. Depending on how much hops you used and the alcohol and the malt profile, .5oz won't make a world of difference. 1 oz will though.

If a good portion of your hops in that IPA recipe were Amarillo, then the 0.5 oz dry hop will just help to enhance/bring out that hop profile and aroma more. Aroma is what adds flavor IMHO. For sure throw it in there after it's done fermenting and you will be happy.

test ipa
14-B American IPA
Author: Lando
Date: 5/24/09

Size: 5.0 gal
Efficiency: 100%
Attenuation: 75.0%
Calories: 238.05 kcal per 12.0 fl oz

Original Gravity: 1.071 (1.056 - 1.075)
Terminal Gravity: 1.018 (1.010 - 1.018)
Color: 8.24 (6.0 - 15.0)
Alcohol: 7.04% (5.5% - 7.5%)
Bitterness: 55.9 (40.0 - 70.0)

Ingredients:
5.0 lb Dry Light
1.0 ea White Labs WLP023 Burton Ale
3.0 lb Pale Liquid
1.0 oz Centennial (10.0%) - added during boil, boiled 60 min
1 oz Amarillo (8.5%) - added during boil, boiled 15 min
.5 oz Amarillo (8.5%) - added during boil, boiled 5 min
.5 oz Amarillo (8.5%) - added dry to primary fermenter
1.0 lb 2-Row Brewers Malt
1.0 tsp Irish Moss - added during boil, boiled 15.0 min

Schedule:
Ambient Air: 70.0 °F
Source Water: 60.0 °F
Elevation: 0.0 m

Notes
Brewed on 4-29-09?????????????
1.018 on 5-4-09 in primary.

Here is the recipe profile from beer tools. I will likely toss it in the secondary after I transfer. The smell early on was a very hoppy IPA smell. Hope this helps to kick it up a bit.

Yeah, all of your aroma and flavor hops are Amarillo, so that will be a great addition. :mug:

I sometimes think that 1 oz is too much of a dry hop. Probably never too much for an IPA, but my point is that if 1 oz is potent, 1/2 oz will still have a positive effect.

So just for the nOOb's educational purposes..... if amarillo is the flavoring and aroma hops, what are the centinnials for?

Because they boil for so long?

That is exactly right. The Alpha Acids (AA%) in hops are what give the bitterness. The longer you boil, the more AAs you extract, which means less flavor (aside from bitterness). But without bittering hops, you would not have a that crisp biteyness that is found in IPAs, Pales, etc. The hops that you are adding towards the end of the boil are not increasing the IBUs/bitterness in your beer. They ARE adding all of that great aroma and fresh citrusy, grassy flavor however. So it is like the ying and yang of beer - you have a balance of flavor/aroma and bitterness. If you have brew software or can go to any of the free online recipe generators, play around with a fictitious recipe where you have 3 oz of 1 kind of hops (say amarillo 8%), and add different amounts for different lengths of times. i.e. 3 oz at 60 min, then 2 at 60min and 1 at 30, etc... you will learn alot! Cheers! :mug:

Because the Centennial was boiled for 60 minutes it is a bittering addition. It is the main source of the IBU's in this brew with their high Alpha Acids and that an ounce was added. They are adding flavor as well, you are just not able to get the subtle notes from it because most of the lessor flavors were boiled off.

The Amarillo is going to be the primary flavor hops, and there is going to be plenty of hoppy flavor in this IPA. If you got down to 1.018 then this is going to be a fine example of an IPA. Give the .5oz of Amarillo about a week of Dry Hopping to get the most out of it. Two weeks will work as well, but I prefer the less time for more aroma and less bitter.

Macabra is right, just short in explanation.

EDIT: Too slow, he beat me to the punch!

Back