1/2 Keg and 1/6 barrel fitment in a Keezer....

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

J98NY

Reaction score
It started off wanting a little mini fridge conversion, and in less than 2 weeks it turned into wanted a chest freezer. I need one of the larger ones I believe (14sqft-21sqft), I would like to have 3 sixth barrels, and one half keg. Gotta have the half keg for my CL. I was told most of the Seasonal Sam's come in sixth barrels, then i'll need prob a mic ultra for the ol lady. I would also like to store the co2 in the freezer.
If I have to add a collar I can.
A picture would be fantastic. I'd like to have a tower up top with 4 spouts.

Thanks for the help, and yes, I searched, and even went though the 50 page thread on pictures. Apparently 1/2 barrels aren't common around here lol

1/2 barrels aren't that common cause they are big for home use...they are also heavy...say around 150 lbs...you better be a big bear or you'll need alot of help to get that beast in the keezer. Sankes work great btw for homebrew IMO.

Yeah it's going to weigh over 150 lbs. And you better be a bear or have an armored keezer because it's going to get beat up trying to get a half barrel over the top. Hurts my back just thinking about it.

I decided that even though my converted refrigerator could hold a 1/2 barrel that there was no freakin way I was going to be able to carry the thing from my car to the basement.

But, you *can* take the beer and transfer it from the original container to a set of corny kegs without introducing oxygen. Simply do a bev line to bev line setup between the sanke and the corny's.

Here's one of many videos that someone has done:

One comment. I make sure my target corny kegs are sanitized (e.g. Star San) and also use Star San on both the connection and target QD's. (Unlike serving a single beer, you don't want ANY critters introduced to the beer to be stored for weeks/months.)

While this isn't as nice as having a single 1/2 barrel keg in a keezer, it does allow you to re-think how wide the keezer has to be and eliminates the issue of trying to lift the 160# half barrel!

Hope this helps.

Last edited by a moderator:
Back