1.055 down to 1.010 in 3 days, Bad?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TomToro

Reaction score
I made a 2 gallon batch of Pale Ale with Mr. Beer Ingredients on 2-23-12:
1 HME West Coast Pale
1 UME Pale Export
1/2 cup honey
1 booster
1oz cascade 14 min boil
Wyeast American Ale (can't remember the number) and used it all.

And my OG was at 1.055. I was supposed to be at 1.047, but I figure the honey and booster kicked it up some.

Today my SG was at 1.010. By the way, it tasted great already. My other beers never taste this good at this point.

Q:Is this a bad thing for it to be this low, this soon?

I was going to dry hop some cascade a week before I bottle.

Q: Will this change the time I put my dry hop in? When would you suggest I do that so I don't get the veggie taste?

Thanks,
Tom

3 days sounds about right. Primary happens rather quickly. I would wait 2 weeks and then dry hop for a week and then bottle.

the veggie taste from dry-hopping typically comes from leaving the hops in too long, like over a week. it's not related to speed of fermentation. keep the dry-hopping to 7 days or less and you will be fine.

chances are you over-pitched. 2 gal @ 1.055 wouldn't need a whole pack, at least not a whole fresh one. that probably explains why you hit FG so quickly.

in the end you made a tasty beer, so everything else doesn't really matter :mug:

Thanks Sweet. I tested it again and I'm down to 1.006. That's got to be it's lowest so I dry hopped a half ounce of Cascade today. I'll follow your advice and only wait a week, cold crash two days and then bottle.

Thanks,
Tom

Yeah...this is actually really bad. Most likely....those yeast are going to get a speeding ticket and it will increase your homebrewing insurance premium. Sorry mate.

Latest posts

Back