1.010 OG in fermenter?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Wootonius

Reaction score
I brewed a Wit Saturday. It was my first batch in a while, and I admittedly didn't take the time I should have to refresh myself on some things. Long story short, I really screwed up my mash temp. Instead of mashing at the expected 154F (should have been 148F), I way overshot to 167F. I wasn't sure what to do, but finally added some cold water after 10-12 minutes (I understand that may have been too late) and was able to get it down. I also had problems getting my temp down after the boil due to a clogged pump and by the time I got it in the fermenter, I was so glad to be done that I forgot to check the OG. Expected OG was 1.055. I dropped in my Tilt in and started cleaning up, but I had problems getting a reading and got distracted. This morning I got my first reading, and it is showing 1.010! I figured that couldn't be so I pulled some out to test with my refractometer (1.012 maybe). I have pretty active fermentation going on with the #3944, so I know the yeast are eating something! I know I have a lot of problems going on at once here, but I'd love to hear thoughts on what to expect and any measures I can take at this point to ensure it turns out as good as it can be. I've never had an undrinkable batch and I don't expect this one to be, but I'm pretty sure it won't be near the one I brewed last year.

Might have fermented down that far by now. But without knowing what your OG really was there just might not have been much for the yeast to do.

Regardless, I'd still wait 10 days to 2 weeks or even more. The longer I leave beer in the FV the better it usually is. It gets cleaner and better tasting to me. No cold crashing or other stuff needed.

Despite all the issues you claim, it'll probably still be decent beer if you don't futz with it and get it oxidized.

Probably was a fairly low OG with that mash temperature so it could be down to 1.010 at this point. Let it ride. Not much can be done at this point.

The pieces don’t quite add up. Mash temperature should affect fermentability more than OG. If the fermentation were well on its way, the Tilt and refractometer shouldn’t give similar readings anymore. But I agree, there’s nothing productive to do: just wait it out and see if it tastes good.

I overshot a mash of 150 by 20 degrees, neutralized most of the enzymes, think my OG was 1.024. I compensated by adding sugar and then fermented and the beer came out extrememly bland. I chalked it up to a learning situation and dumped the "beer".

Thanks for the responses, everyone. I'm reassured and content to wait this one out for a few weeks to see how it turns out.

Thanks for the responses, everyone. I'm reassured and content to wait this one out for a few weeks to see how it turns out.
It should be done a week from now, given the current gravity of 1.010. :D

Then take another reading and taste the sample. Decide then whether to keep it, maybe mix with another stronger beer, or cut your losses.

At minimum you've made a good yeast starter. ;)
Save the yeast cake and use if for the next Wit. WY3944 is a wonderful yeast for those! Or any other Belgian beer.
You're gonna brew it again, right? They're really nice drinking beers, good for anytime, not just hot weather.

Bottling or kegging?

wait, i did the math for an OG with 1.012 on the refrac and 1.010 on the 'sorta' hydro....was your refrac calc compensated?

edit: to to tell you the truth, i was to interested to wait...so you get a BRIX of 7, which would be 1.012....and a brix of 7 with a hydro reading of 1.010...is a OG of 1.053 or something i think it's close to done...

It should be done a week from now, given the current gravity of 1.010. :D

Then take another reading and taste the sample. Decide then whether to keep it, maybe mix with another stronger beer, or cut your losses.

At minimum you've made a good yeast starter. ;)
Save the yeast cake and use if for the next Wit. WY3944 is a wonderful yeast for those! Or any other Belgian beer.
You're gonna brew it again, right? They're really nice drinking beers, good for anytime, not just hot weather.

Bottling or kegging?
Today the Tilt shows 1.000! How the heck am I going to guess an ABV?

I'll definitely brew it again! Last year I did one and it was by far the most popular beer I've ever brewed (by myself and my friends), which is why I'm kicking myself for screwing up this batch. Who knows, it may turn out drinkable! I'll be kegging!

wait, i did the math for an OG with 1.012 on the refrac and 1.010 on the 'sorta' hydro....was your refrac calc compensated?

edit: to to tell you the truth, i was to interested to wait...so you get a BRIX of 7, which would be 1.012....and a brix of 7 with a hydro reading of 1.010...is a OG of 1.053 or something i think it's close to done...
Tilt reading today is 1.000, which seems even stranger...
If it's done, that was the fastest ferment I've ever had! Fingers crossed...

Tilt reading today is 1.000, which seems even stranger...
If it's done, that was the fastest ferment I've ever had! Fingers crossed...

i've had ferments go in two days, what does the refrac read now?

edit i can make a prediction, if a fast ferment... 5 BRIX, and your low FG could be that you did too well at lowering the temp....

edit 2: if you do get a refrac of 5 BRIX....i'd say learn about yeast farming! you got some fun-guy's that know how to help you have a good time and party!

edit 3: might be a happy accident for me....so reverse decotion mashing, might mean i don't have to use gluco in my beers? like strike in at 167, then let it sit like waiting for mustard to spicy up, then drop it to beta....????

Last edited:
I'd double check the Tilt's calibration after you decide it's time to bottle and can get to the Tilt.

But I did have a infection or something that took some of my already bottled beer down to 1.001 or so. The bottles that were cloudy at the time I opened them were somewhat sour and not so great tasting. But the ones that I left to go longer before opening actually cleared up and didn't taste all that bad... not great, but not so bad that I dumped them.

They all spewed like a volcano when opened no matter if clear or cloudy. But toward the end, I learned that if I put them in the freezer for about 30 minutes before opening them that I could get them poured and drank. But I think it was only the last two bottles I figured this out for.

well to update this thread from a purely curious observer....i just acidently put my strike water to 188f....added 20 some odd lbs malt to it, thinking it'd be 167f trying to duplicate the results here....it was actually at 180....panicked got it down to 170 within about 3-4 minutes.....then it was back to the planed false panick i had in store.....so i let it go at 170f for about 10 minutes...then added refrigerated water to bring it down to about 150-148.....figured this is all being done in the brew kettle and the mash tun will bring it down the rest of the way...sure enough 144f in the mash tun....

if i get a dry beer in 2 days, i'm buying the house a round! (and i checked the gravity of the mash water it's at 1.058, or 14.5 BRIX...so it did convert.....and i'll check it again after an hour to see what it's at, but my thing here is EXTREME fermentability and DRY....like natural turbo yeast or something....i know the yeast can do it!

well damn, it's been about 12 hours, and i'm only down 10 points...1.057 to 1.048, or 14.4 BRIX to 12.9BRIX with correction.....no miraculus instant ferment for me...

oh, well it was worth a shot, i'll check it again tomorrow.....

well i pitched yeast, probably not really enough. 7-21-22, at around 7pm...as of 7am 7-23-22 it's at 1.018 from an OG of 1.057

which to me seems normal for beer? it should be done this evening. so MAYBE a day faster? i'm anxious to see if i get the same 1.000 FG still, be nice to not need gluco, and get my lite beer with style!

Latest posts

Back