06.06.06 Brew day, post your results, tips, gripes...

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
magno said:
I took a sample last nightwhile racking to tertiary off the oak chips and hops. Color was great, SG was 1.016, but I may have overdone the oak. It had been on the oak for 9 days, and it dominated the flavor profile. Hopefully it will mellow in the next almost two months.

I was going to bottle this week. Should I wait for the SG to drom to the 1.010 range first?

- magno

Thanks for sharing that---now I know to keep mine on oak for about 4-5 days! :)

As for the FG--I doubt we will see much more attenuation after getting down to 1.015-1.016. I'd swirl it a few more times during the week, then bottle it. Also, I'd dry hop it one more time during the next few more days before you bottle. :)

Dude said:
I'd dry hop it one more time during the next few more days before you bottle.

Good idea, it seems to need something to balance with those oak chips.

Do you think another ounce of Williamette for a few days should blend with the oak taste? Should I have staggered the oak and the hops in the first place?

- magno

magno said:
Good idea, it seems to need something to balance with those oak chips.

Do you think another ounce of Williamette for a few days should blend with the oak taste? Should I have staggered the oak and the hops in the first place?

- magno

Vinnie Cilurzo actually recommends multiple doses of dry hops, so 2-3 additionas won't hurt it. It might just be enough to mask some of that oak.

Alright, I dropped another ounce of Williamette in the tertiary today.

The guy at my LHBS was suprised at the amount of oak chips used in te recipe, he said that he ahd used one to two ounces in recipes. He also said it should mellow with age.

I'll keep everyone informed on how it comes out.

-magno

Dude said:
Vinnie Cilurzo actually recommends multiple doses of dry hops, so 2-3 additionas won't hurt it. It might just be enough to mask some of that oak.
I only used 2 OZ of the oak chips and I'm only going to leave it for a couple days on the oak.

How much oak did everyone use? I was anticipating Bottling this weekend so last Saturday put .5 oz of Oak chips and the Willamette dry hops in.. the weather warming up got it fermenting again (I'm figuring it will get down to about 1.015ish) I had planned to add the rest of the Oak Chips 4 days before bottling but was only planning 1oz total is that not enough? Or the fact the first .5 oz is going to be in there for at least 2 weeks make up for ammount?

I just racked mine to the secondary after 16 days in the primary. My OG was 1.080, and now its 1.011. Brownish-red color. I took a sample, and it has a slightly sweet malt taste, but has a strong alcohol taste as well. Anyone else run into to this with theirs?

Tony said:
I just racked mine to the secondary after 16 days in the primary. My OG was 1.080, and now its 1.011. Brownish-red color. I took a sample, and it has a slightly sweet malt taste, but has a strong alcohol taste as well. Anyone else run into to this with theirs?

Sounds like my sample. Too sweet--I knew this recipe needed more hops to balance that out.

I expect the alcohol taste to mellow with time though.

I also noticed the sweet taste, I think that will disappear as it ages, its happened on other batches when they were young. They just need time.

P.S. Dude, are you really going to use Simcoe hops in your APA? Have you smelled those things? I can't imagine using them in my beer. Also, whats the recipe for "Liquid Panty Remover."

Ugh. Dude no likey. I tried another sample today when I added oak chips. Too damn sweet. I'm thinking baout ordering some hop oil and making this at least drinkable.

If I could past that sweetness, it has a nice hop flavor behind it.

I'm gonna let it sit on the oak chips until Thursday then rack it and add dry hops.

So far I'm not too impressed.

Ugh. Dude no likey. I tried another sample today when I added oak chips. Too damn sweet. I'm thinking baout ordering some hop oil and making this at least drinkable.

>.< I swear dude You really need a shot of valuim >.<
TIME, Patience . . . I'm starting to feel like a borken record.

How long has it been bottled? Let this stuff sit for a bit and relax i guarentee you you'll be glad you did. BTW my offer still stands . . . .

Pumbaa said:
IF you decide to not wait at least do me a favor. Take a 12pack or so worth of what we have currently. Put it into it's own fermenter, let it sit and keep an eye on it. Once the gravity settles out a bit bottle it and then let it sit for 4-6 months. As it ages once a month grab a bottle and drink it . . . just one and no matter how it tastes. Take notes on it and then tell me after the 6 months if I was wrong.

IF I am wrong I will send you (Dude) one of every beer I have in my sig and one of every beer I add to my sig after those 6 months are up (will be at least a 12 pack). If I'm right you have to send me a 12 pack.

I'm calling you out man. You are forgetting THE MOST IMPORTANT part of home brewing, Relax, and have a home brew, and are being VERY Un-Dude. Chill man, let this beer run it's course.

Pumbaa said:
>.< I swear dude You really need a shot of valuim >.<
TIME, Patience . . . I'm starting to feel like a borken record.

How long has it been bottled? Let this stuff sit for a bit and relax i guarentee you you'll be glad you did. BTW my offer still stands . . . .

Pumbaa, I understand where you are coming from, but I've been brewing long enough to know this cloying sweetness ain't goin' away bud. I realize it is young, and I realize the flavors will mesh together. I realize that alcohol burn will fade in time. I'm not disagreeing with that part.

What I am concerned with is the overbearing sweetness. I have it in a keg and It just isn't producing C02, which means the yeasts are probably all dead. I'm willign to give it time, but I do not have much hope for this.

I am letting it sit though. And I'll be glad to take you up on the offer.

I hate Bjork records, BTW. :p

SkewedAle said:
P.S. Dude, are you really going to use Simcoe hops in your APA? Have you smelled those things? I can't imagine using them in my beer. Also, whats the recipe for "Liquid Panty Remover."

Yes, I've smelled them, and they are heavenly. :p Legend makes a brew called Hopfest that is loaded with Simcoe. One of the best IPAs I've had.
I think I'm going to make a monster Simcoe IPA soon.

LPR was just a milk stout. If you want the recipe, holla'.

Racked mine to a corny tonight and I have a few observations. First off the taste: I can't detect any hop aroma or flavor. That strong citrusy profile is gone. What I do detect are very strong Scotch/whiskey notes. If I didn't know any better I'd swear someone poured a little Bourbon in when I wasn't looking. I'm pretty sure these flavors come from the rye and the oak chips. I really hope this mellows with age as I'm not a fan of whiskey.

Dude you where saying that yours is too sweet. I wouldn't call mine cloyingly sweet but I checked the gravity and it is 1.020. This is strange because when I racked it I got 1.015 so I made a mistake somewhere. I put the keg in a 70 degree room to see if it will ferment more.
I would say 2 Oz of oak chips for 4 days is too much but I will reserve judgment on this until it ages a bit.
Time will tell

I bottled mine last night. One additional ounce of Williamette for three days did seem to help getting the overpowering oak flavor under control. We'll see where this one goes with time.

FG was 1.016, giving about 7.9% ABV

SWMBO checked the color for me since I am fairly well color blind. Prognosis: "pretty red".

I'll crack a sample in a couple weeks to seee how its doing.

- magno

RichBrewer said:
Racked mine to a corny tonight and I have a few observations. First off the taste: I can't detect any hop aroma or flavor. That strong citrusy profile is gone. What I do detect are very strong Scotch/whiskey notes. If I didn't know any better I'd swear someone poured a little Bourbon in when I wasn't looking. I'm pretty sure these flavors come from the rye and the oak chips. I really hope this mellows with age as I'm not a fan of whiskey.

Dude you where saying that yours is too sweet. I wouldn't call mine cloyingly sweet but I checked the gravity and it is 1.020. This is strange because when I racked it I got 1.015 so I made a mistake somewhere. I put the keg in a 70 degree room to see if it will ferment more.
I would say 2 Oz of oak chips for 4 days is too much but I will reserve judgment on this until it ages a bit.
Time will tell

See I get hop aroma (dry-hopping will DEFINITELY help that as well) and flavor but not enough bitterness. It certainly isn't enough to balance the overpowering sweetness.

I think once oyu dry-hop and age it more the oak flavor will mellow. I'm only keeping mine on oak until tomorrow. That will be 4 days.

I am half tempted to add some enzyme this to see if I can get a few more gravity points down. If not buy some hop oil and fix it that way. :)

Dude said:
I think once oyu dry-hop and age it more the oak flavor will mellow. I'm only keeping mine on oak until tomorrow. That will be 4 days.
I did dry hop it but I may have done it too early in the process. I did it when it was racked to the secondary. I think the oak chips over powered them.

RichBrewer said:
I did dry hop it but I may have done it too early in the process. I did it when it was racked to the secondary. I think the oak chips over powered them.

Dry hop again! :)

I plan on doing at least two separate additions.

SkewedAle said:
I thought the whole point was to crack one open in June? Don't get me wrong, I'm anxious to open one also...

I plan on saving most of my batch until 06/06/06. I have one 8 oz Coronita bottle that I plan to open in a few weeks to check that carbonation etc. went as planned.

RichBrewer, deffinetly add more dry hops, it helped with mine. That was a good call Dude.

- magno

I just moved mine from the secondary to a tertiary (3rd I cant spell) after about 3 weeks in the secondary.

I left the oak chips and dry hops in the secondary the entire time. I did not notice any sweetness and thought over all it was a great brew so far. I does have a very citrus note to it and it also seems to be "sharp". The first few sips caught me off guard and I was really thinking that I dunno about this beer, but on the 3rd sip I took a nice mouth full and swished it then swallowed. It has a big alchohol punch to it and leaves almost a numbness on the front tip of my tounge and in back on both sides. I thinkI really like this beer, but will wait for final judgement after carbonation and some more ageing.

I'll let it sit in the 3rd fermenter for a week or 2 until I can sneek over to Discount Liquere and get meself 3 or 4 more cases of bottles . . .dont tell SWMBO :p

Discount Liquere
PUMBAA is a French Canadian! damn!

Also mine is now in bottles, It has a citrus taste with a hint of oak.. and a serious bite from the ABV! I'm thinking this is actually going to be pretty good in a few months.. The color is a nice red, The taste hints of oak/willamette.. my only gripe is the Alcohol taste is way too prevalent..I'm hoping/figuring that will mellow with age.. My extract batch did 10 days primary, 16 days secondary, 15 days tertiary.. Dry hops were in for 3 weeks oak chips were .5oz 1 week .5oz 3 weeks.. my OG was 1.077 my FG was 1.012

Did I mention the sample was like a big shot? Holy alcohol Batman!!!!!!

PUMBAA is a French Canadian! damn!

Na, I just cant spell worth **** and was too lazy to click over to http://www.m-w.com/ . I dont mind speling errors here now and again, it's just on the other board we both go to that I try not to make any mistakes. Too many grammer nazis and spelling jackels over there. Besides it's hard to tell Dewery he's a moron if I cant spell it right :p

Thats what I thought. Think its cool to dry hop and add the oak chips at the same time?

Thats what I did and it sounds like Budbo did the same. It seems we are the only 2 that actually like it from the way the recipie was written

I think I am going to add some amalayse enzyme to this batch to see if it will help break down the remaining sugars in this sucker. Right now it is just too sweet for tolerance. I read on the GB the other day that the enzyme addition will possibly help. I think this beer really has potential but not the way it is.

What do you guys think?

Think I should pitch a packet of dry S-56 first?

Dude said:
I think I am going to add some amalayse enzyme to this batch to see if it will help break down the remaining sugars in this sucker. Right now it is just too sweet for tolerance. I read on the GB the other day that the enzyme addition will possibly help. I think this beer really has potential but not the way it is.

What do you guys think?

Think I should pitch a packet of dry S-56 first?

I don't see anything wrong with that.

I use amylase often, and use it for this recipe as well. I also pitched a huge starter, and between the two, this dropped my gravity from 1.080 to 1.004 in three to four weeks. There still is an upfront sweet taste, but its just a hint actually.

And like Pumbaa's, mine has a huge alcohol punch for sure. I took a gravity reading, and then sampled the sample. Wow! It was potent for sure. This one is doing just fine I believe.

I racked mine to the secondary last week, and added the oak chips and one ounce of Willamette today. Im going to add another ounce next week, and then let it go for 2 more weeks probably, before bottling and stowing them away.

Its been almost 4 weeks now and I added the oak chips to the secondary a couple days ago. I took a small sample and WHOA! this is really high in alcohol flavor and I also noticed something else, too much chocolate. I added almost half a pound (about 7 ounces) of chocolate malt to the recipe and it was too much. This brew is way too chocolatey right now.

I think I might change the name to ".06.06.06 Devils Food Beer" instead.

Okay...I'm in the process of racking this off of the oak chips and now I'm going to add some amylase enzyme. After a week on that I will take a gravity reading and then hopefully dry hop. The gravity right now is 1.016. If I can get this down to 1.010, I think this is going to be one outstanding beer. Other than that sweetness, it tastes awesome now, especially after riding on those oak chips for a week. It is very hot though, hopefully that mellows.

I think I am going to bottle this entire batch.

Yesterday I dry hopped (second dry hop addition) in the keg with 1 oz. E C Goldings. It is now under gas and in the fridge. We shall see how it turns out. It's up to the beer gods now.

Dude,

With all the comments and suggestions posted on this recipe, could you perhaps repost a V2 version on the recipe thread that incorporates the lessons learned from this brew so far?

Cheers!

Stefan

BrewStef said:
Dude,

With all the comments and suggestions posted on this recipe, could you perhaps repost a V2 version on the recipe thread that incorporates the lessons learned from this brew so far?

Cheers!

Stefan

We definitely will. Give it some time young grasshopper. ;)

Back