Irish Stout Ó Flannagáin Standard

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I completely agree! I like my dark beers to be a little more chewy. Next time I brew this, I think I am going to add some Malto.

J

I added a little crystal 60 to this, but no carapils - next time I might leave the C60 as is (.5 lbs) and add in 10-12 oz of carapils.

Had it again last night and it's getting better. I'm amazed at how much this beer matures in such a short amount of time. Definitely a keeper for me.

FYI, had two servings of this last night and I'll have to post pics soon - very, VERY tasty and mesmerizing to look at! I continue to be surprised at how much the profile improves over the course of little more than a week.

I just cracked a bottle at only 3 days carbed since Im impatient and really needed a beer tonight. :p

Obviously not carbed, but the flavor is pretty solid for such a green beer. I'm not going to touch another for a good two weeks, pretty anxious now.

Took a bit of this off of my keg last night, it has been on gas 1 week now at serving pressure. Did not taste as heavy as some of the stouts I have had in the past. Is this considered a pretty light stout? The flavor was there, just though it would have been a little more in your face. I could easily give this dark beer to some one who only drinks lighter beers.

Finally got around to uploading pictures from my camera. Obviously, the OFS is on the left. On the right is a light version of Pliny the Elder.

beer1.jpg

Just bought everything for this besides the hops. Do you guys think Willamette will be a decent substitute? I also have cascade, centennial, chinook, tettnanger, Saaz, and Nugget.

This has been one of my favorites lately. I added cocoa to half my batch (kegged) and bottled the other half plain. Both are great.

Sippin on a pint at this very moment. This was my second batch of brew and im stoked about how well it turned out! Only been in the bottle for 2 weeks and it's fantastic. Can't wait to see how much better it will be over the next couple weeks. Didn't have any carapils so I did 4oz of maltodextrin. Absolutely delicious!!

Brewing this right now. Making a 10-gallon batch using Willamette hops and London 1028 yeast. Considering adding a pinch of cold-brewed coffee to one of my carboys. Only a little though; like 10oz. Still unsure though. Mashed @ 155ish. I hit my mash temp @ 156, but I left my mash-tun open while stirring and it went down to 154ish. S'aight.

Also, I'm adding 5oz of maltodextrine.

Edit: ended up using notty instead of London due to me thinking that my 6-month old harvested London yeast were pretty much expired. After I pitched the notty, I noticed that the starter I made for the London yeast was active. Doh. Oh well, got 87% efficiency. OG: 1.053

Brewing this right now. Making a 10-gallon batch using Willamette hops and London 1028 yeast. Considering adding a pinch of cold-brewed coffee to one of my carboys. Only a little though; like 10oz. Still unsure though. Mashed @ 155ish. I hit my mash temp @ 156, but I left my mash-tun open while stirring and it went down to 154ish. S'aight.

Also, I'm adding 5oz of maltodextrine.

I have an 8 gallon batch in primary now. i will be adding chocolate, lactose, coffee, and caffeine to half when I keg. Going to call it 2 Shots in the Dark. :)

Going to turn half my batch (5-5.5 gallons) of this into a milk stout, just for something a little different. Going to be adding the lactose with my priming sugar (boiled with it). For those of you who have made this and tried it, how much lactose do you think I should add? 8oz? A full lb? Would appreciate some feedback, thanks.

I used a full lb in my 5 gallon batch of the left hand milk stout clone and it was spot on when doing a side by side comparison.

I used a full lb in my 5 gallon batch of the left hand milk stout clone and it was spot on when doing a side by side comparison.

Yeah, but that's a different recipe utilizing a different grain bill. This one is much smaller. I did get 87% efficiency (it'll probably turn out to 4.9-5.1%), but that's still rather lower than the LHMS clone. I'm thinking I'll need to use less..

Its not all that different of a recipe. There are like 2 more specialty grains, but otherwise they are fairly similar. Unless you mean because the LHMS has more alcohol. I still think you are going to need nearly a pound...thats what I have seen for most milk stout recipes. I suppose you could try with like 12-14 oz and see how it works out.

I have some PacMan yeast that I will be washing in the next couple of days.

Any opinions on using PacMan yeast with this recipe?

Can anyone recommend how to get a little more mouthfeel out of this..it seemed a bit thin the first time I made it. I need to brew another batch here and that was my only complaint. I mashed at 156.

Can anyone recommend how to get a little more mouthfeel out of this..it seemed a bit thin the first time I made it. I need to brew another batch here and that was my only complaint. I mashed at 156.

Upping the carapils/dextrine would work greatly; could also mash at 157 or 158 too.

I have some PacMan yeast that I will be washing in the next couple of days.

Any opinions on using PacMan yeast with this recipe?

Pacman would be great. It's a nice clean yeast, very similar to the Nottingham or S-05 I use in the majority of my stouts.

Been drinkin' this for the past 2 weeks. It's a great beer. Mine turned out having a nice mouthfeel and 4.7% (instead of the calculated 5% I anticipated). I mashed at 156 and added some malto dextrine. Strangely, my FG was something like 1.018 or something similar. I was let down at first, but from what I've read, I think this turned out fairly ideal. Great brew, would keep this on tap if I had a tap to keep it on lol.

This will be my second batch of brew that I attempt to make here in a couple weeks. (Waiting for my first batch to clear the primary)

I have Jcoles PDF in front of me and have a few questions since I am planning on doing a PM....still a little worried about trying a full AG recipe.

Questions I have....

What is the starting volume of water for the Mash? Can I just start with 2 gallons, heat to my mash temp of 155/156, add my grains for an hour and hold the temp there?

After this step, I should sparge right? I am sure I am reading it wrong but the PDF says 4.71 Gallons for Sparge water. Is this the volume after I sparge or the amount I should use to Sparge. I only have a 5 gallon stockpot so I can't exceed that.

Bring total to boil - remove from heat and stir in DME then bring back to boil.

I understand its a 60 minute boil and how to follow the hops and whirfloc schedule.

Sorry for the silly questions here guys....I started with the AHS Blue Moon Clone and have been eager to try a stout. I just dont want to screw it up. As a noobie, I need all the steps so I feel more comfortable. I just want to make sure I can do this recipe with a 5 gallon pot.

Appreciate it!

I'll take a shot at some of your questions off the top of my head.

What is the starting volume of water for the Mash? Can I just start with 2 gallons, heat to my mash temp of 155/156, add my grains for an hour and hold the temp there?

I use the standard formula of 1.25-1.33 qts/lb. I also just eye-ball it so that there is enough water in there to have a very thin layer on top of the grain bed.

You're going to lose some heat when you combine the grains and the water, so you'll need to take that into account. That's always the tricky part for me, hitting the mash temp and then leaving it alone for an hour or more.

Make sure you have some insulation around the 5 gal to keep the heat in if you're using the stove top method.

After this step, I should sparge right? I am sure I am reading it wrong but the PDF says 4.71 Gallons for Sparge water. Is this the volume after I sparge or the amount I should use to Sparge. I only have a 5 gallon stockpot so I can't exceed that.

That 4.71 gal number is probably wrong. What I usually do is prepare the water in my extra 6 gal pot and mash in my 5 gal. Then I sparge with the remainder of the water that was not used in mashing (if I'm low, then I add some).

Sorry for the silly questions here guys....I started with the AHS Blue Moon Clone and have been eager to try a stout. I just dont want to screw it up. As a noobie, I need all the steps so I feel more comfortable. I just want to make sure I can do this recipe with a 5 gallon pot.

You can definitely do this in 5 gal. Just make little tweaks to water volume along the way as needed.

Hope this helps. If its still not clear, let me know.

I've had this on draft for about a month now, and man this is an awesome brew. When I purchased my flaked barley, it had some weevils in it, but I figured, hey, what could happen? I mashed, and it filtered them out anyway, and as I said the brew is great! So, I have it on tap as Tasty Weevil Stout. Thanks for the recipe!!

I made this stout last september and it was awesome, even my SWMBO loved it! In fact, now she wants me to make another 5 gallons for our St. Patty's day party next month. I have all the supplies ready to brew but I've got 2oz of CarafaIII from a previous recipe brewed last week. What would you guys say about adding those 2oz to this recipe? Would it make that big of a difference? I'm not planning on using the other 2 oz of CarafaIII in anything else soon so I would rather use it than let it sit on my shelf. Thanks for the feedback.

It's going to add some color, but I highly doubt you'd taste the C III with all of the other roasted malts in there.
I'd add it if I had it.

This is my standard house stout. It's nearly always on tap.

Brewed this recipe up today as my 4th AG batch and 5th homebrew overall. Can't wait to try it! Thanks for the recipe

Brewed this again last night and added an extra pound of 2-row for my efficiency and an extra pound of CaraPils for a better mouthfeel. Will let you know how this works out.

Brewed this one yesterday. Only modification was I used 1.5oz of 4.7% hops and mashed @ 157. Efficiency was a bit high on this one so I ended up with a bit higher gravity than I planned for (came in at 1.051).

Hydro sample showed great promise so can't wait for this one to finish. It's currently fermenting like crazy.

Just tapped this keg last night for the first time. The beer spent two weeks in primary then keg conditioned for an additional week. This is a fantastic beer - only my 5th brew, but one where I can say "I can't believe I made this."

This beer is awesome! The extra pound of CaraPils gave me a much thicker mouthfeel and felt more like a stout, thanks for a delicious recipe.

I've had this on draft for about a month now, and man this is an awesome brew. When I purchased my flaked barley, it had some weevils in it, but I figured, hey, what could happen? I mashed, and it filtered them out anyway, and as I said the brew is great! So, I have it on tap as Tasty Weevil Stout. Thanks for the recipe!!

I had weevils in my flaked barley on the first stout that I've ever made. It came out with a strange flavor and every time I drink it I can't help but think of those bugs in there!

Used DeathBrewer's stove top PM method. Have to say that going from extract w/ steeping to his PM method is the absolute best adjustment I've made in my 8 months of brewing so far. Just put this in a keg today and am currently sampling...

Just wow. Jet black, nearly carbed from a full month in the primary. Motor oil mouth feel (more like 10W-40 than 0W-20) . Creamy? Yes. Roasty? Yes. Smooth? Yes. Can I believe that I made this? No.

Mr. O'Flannagain, whoever you are, I tip my hat to you. Thank you very much.

I think I'll have another sample...

I gotta say this is far and away the best of the 4-5 all grain batches I have made so far. I used MO and bumped OG up to about 1.057 - ended right around 1.020. Used the S-04 and it came out great.

Great malty nose, silky full mouthfeel, satisfying malty flavor which I didn't find to be over sweet. My buddy agreed this is the best one I have made so far, great recipe!!

This looks to be a great recipe, seems to have gotten a great reception all round. Definitely on my list to brew next. I see a few people were commenting on a light mouthfeel. With the carapils & flaked barley in the grain bill and mashing on the high end of things I can't see how this one would come off light bodied or why you would need to add some oats. I usually add some toasted oats to my stouts to give it a bit more body but I think the carapils & flaked barley have that covered.

I brewed this last fall and hit my numbers exactly. I was disappointed in the thin watery feel also. None of the comments about that appeared until I brewed it. Oh well, I still have 12 or so bottles around to drink but I won't brew it again.

Back