Irish Stout Ó Flannagáin Standard

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
It felt good to brew again. I haven't been able to brew for awhile. I think this beer will turn out good. I mashed at 156 and ended up with an o.g. of 1.047. I used nottingham in one carboy and safale-04 in the other. I can't wait to try this beer.

This is a good stout. I made a PM last winter using 1.5 lbs of pale malt, and 3.25 lbs of light DME. I didn't bump the hops (even though I did a 3 gallon boil too), but in hindsight I probably should have increased the hops to 1.25 oz.

Hope this helps.

Edit: I just noticed you are looking for an extract, not PM version. If you go 4lbs on the DME I think you should be ok.

Any chance you could post or PM me your recipe? I am curious to see how it compares to the one a few pages earlier in this post.

thanks

It felt good to brew again. I haven't been able to brew for awhile. I think this beer will turn out good. I mashed at 156 and ended up with an o.g. of 1.047. I used nottingham in one carboy and safale-04 in the other. I can't wait to try this beer.

I'm planning to do this with nottingham and willamette. How did that come out?

I just brewed this as my first AG batch on my own equipment. 3 weeks later, it's kegged, and it's AWESOME!

BREW THIS BEER!

I'm getting ready to brew this and noticed that the IBU on the original recipe is: 17.2

However, Beer Smith has 30-45 IBU as the recommended for the Dry Stout style.

I know this recipe is not a traditional true to style "Dry Stout", but shouldn't the IBU be a little higher on a stout?

I'm getting ready to brew this and noticed that the IBU on the original recipe is: 17.2

I know this recipe is not a traditional true to style "Dry Stout", but shouldn't the IBU be a little higher on a stout?
If you look at the BJCP specs for the stout types you'll see there is a pretty large range depending on the style. Sweet/milk stout for example is quite low on bitterness. Though 17 is definitely below my personal preference, I think sweet stout starts at 20.

Exactly what I was wondering too. I have the recipe in Beersmith with (2) additions of Willamette and 35 IBU's. Haven't brewed it yet because I had the same question.

OG 1.057, pitched notty, and I had serious blowoff for two days of fermenting pretty cold (not totally sure how cold but the ambient air was 62 and I had a wet t-shirt on the carboy, so suffice it to say that it was cold) and subdued fermentation for another two days while I ramped the temp up to 70. Krausen has fallen and everything is quiet in the carboy but right now I'm at a gravity of 1.022. I had beersmith set to mash at 154, and while I didn't get to actually take the mash temp because it was raining, I usually hit my temp by following their directions. I'm not sure why only 60% attenuation, but the good news is that it is delicious on day 4! I could honestly drink it as-is. I might have accidentally mashed a bit high or somehow gotten more unfermentables from my grain, or maybe the gravity will keep falling. I really don't care, it's freaking good!

I have some fuggle on hand. Will it work in place of Kent Golding?
Or would it destroy the flavor?

What about willamette?
Since the addition is just for bittering, as long as you use enough to get the same bitterness the beer won't be affected much (I doubt you'd be able to tell).

Willamette is a variant of Fuggles, either will work great.

Since the addition is just for bittering, as long as you use enough to get the same bitterness the beer won't be affected much (I doubt you'd be able to tell).

Willamette is a variant of Fuggles, either will work great.

Brad, thanks... since it is for bittering. Does it mean that I can use almost any hop and adjust the weight to achieve the IBU?

Brad, thanks... since it is for bittering. Does it mean that I can use almost any hop and adjust the weight to achieve the IBU?
For the most part, yes. Some hops will give you more flavour than others even in the bittering addition. I usually use Galena now because it has a high alpha acid percentage and also a fairly neutral flavour. It doesn't make a noticeable difference that I've been able to detect.

For the most part, yes. Some hops will give you more flavour than others even in the bittering addition. I usually use Galena now because it has a high alpha acid percentage and also a fairly neutral flavour. It doesn't make a noticeable difference that I've been able to detect.

With this in mind, I'll experiment the hop utilization with Warrior (15.8AA) at FWH.
Beersmith calculates out 0.30 oz... Wow.. I wonder if this beer would come out good with this approach.

Any thoughts?

I've never tried first wort hopping a stout so no. :) It's supposed to give a smoother bitterness so I'd say it's worth a try. Give it a shot and let us know how it turns out!

Someone mentioned adding the oats, has anyone tried it? I want to brew this, but want an oatmeal as well. I thought about .5lb flaked barley, then adding 1lb oats. Thoughts??

I bottled this today. It tasted delicious.

However, my FG was higher than expected at 1.016 for some reason. My OG was 1.047.

No big deal, its still in line for what I was shooting for - but I'm curious as to why the FG came out high.

Can't wait to start drinking this stuff.

After about a week conditioning in the bottle, this stuff is great. Probably the favorite stout I've brewed so far!

I made this recipe this past Friday, following the grain bill exactly, but doubling up the hops getting it up to 33 IBUs. Everything went very smooth, I hit 1.046 OG going into the fermenter.

I created a starter 36 hours before pitching, and the starter pretty vigorous airlock activity for the first 20 hours but then subsided. I believe the temps of the starter and the wort were within a few degrees of each other, right around 68. My starter was 1/2 cup DME in a pint of water.

Now my question... I did not see any visible krausen layer during the first 48 hours. There still is airlock activity, but I'm a bit concerned, especially since there was a post in this thread that said they had the biggest fluffiest krausen ever with this brew. Do I need to be worried? This is only my second batch, so I'm still new to this. I'm thinking that perhaps I did not aerate the wort enough (I shook the BetterBottle to aerate).

Just brewed this tonight. Ended up having a little brew party. It was fun. Can't wait to try it in 3 weeks. We are going to force carb it.

I just remembered we totally forgot about the Roasted Barley being .75 lbs and dumped the whole pound in. I'll let you all know how that recipe is, hah.

This looks great I think it will be my next brew. But I have wanted to brew a coffee stout.

Do you think it would taste good if I added some ground coffee or whole beans to the secondary?

If so how much should I add to get a moderate flavor and for how long.

I've been away from brewing for awhile (just moved, haven't had a chance to get going again), but I had the ingredients for this lying around and finally brewed it up last Sunday. Everything that could go wrong did (wort all over the kitchen, boil-over, runaway fermentation temperature), but you know what? The sample I took last night, after 11 days, was awesome. Fermented with Nottingham, so even with the high temps (up to 73 or more at one point), ester production wasn't out-of-control (just a touch of fruit).

I did a PM and mashed low because I can never get extract to ferment dry enough, and wound up with slightly better-than-expected efficiency and an OG of 1.050ish. The Notty took it down to 1.014, which, if past experience is any indicator, is where it will finish. I'm going to let it sit another week before bottling, to see if the yeast won't clean it up a bit more, but I'd drink it as-is, no question. This is a great recipe (I did give it a little more bittering, though).

This is a great recipe (I did give it a little more bittering, though).

+1 on this... but IMHO, I think this beer is one of those beer where yeast and hop is not the main character... it is all about malt... The mixture of malts that integrate into a wonderful stout... I really enjoy this one. Time to make a black and tan homebrew beers tonight...

Just brewed this Saturday.

Well pleased with the results. Hit all the marks for temps, volumes, gravities.

It looked like rain out, so I moved the keggle into the garage to cook. The heat drew spiders out of their hiding places. I pulled no less than three brown spiders out of my mash/sparge water. And when I went to turn on the water for my wort chiller, my Step-Father thwarted a Black Widow making a charge for the finished wort.

Fermented with Nottingham, so even with the high temps (up to 73 or more at one point), ester production wasn't out-of-control (just a touch of fruit).

Just wanted to update this. I tasted this yesterday, after about a month in bottles, and I was, apparently, wrong. Tastes like a chocolate-covered banana. On the upside, I could pass it off as a halfway decent Dunkelweizen, since the roasted character is so subdued. :D The mouthfeel is outstanding, though, and I can see how this would be a good stout without the ester overkill, although I think I would like a little more roast.

It was the first brew in a new place and, needless to say, I've addressed the temperature-control issues. Oh well!

Just wanted to update this. I tasted this yesterday, after about a month in bottles, and I was, apparently, wrong. Tastes like a chocolate-covered banana. On the upside, I could pass it off as a halfway decent Dunkelweizen, since the roasted character is so subdued. :D The mouthfeel is outstanding, though, and I can see how this would be a good stout without the ester overkill, although I think I would like a little more roast.

It was the first brew in a new place and, needless to say, I've addressed the temperature-control issues. Oh well!

Next time, try US-05. That's what I used and not a hint of banana or other crazy flavors resulted.

can someone who brewed this with both the irish ale and us05/notty compare the two? i rather use us05 or notty but if the irish ale version is much different and recommended, i can use that

Just finished a batch of this. The hydro sample was great, and I hope good things are to come from this beer! Hope to have the kegging system going when this beer is ready!

Just blew my 5 gallon AG batch I brewed several months ago. I used Notty and have to say the stout turned out awesome. By far the most popular brew with my BMC friends. Has a nice 'chocolate' flavor and beautiful color. Gearing up to brew a 10 gallon batch in a week or two.

brewed this today but used S-04.

gotta say, this brew looks impressive already.

i plan on fermenting for 10 days, to bottle. then try it a week later.

will keep you all updated on how this one turns out.

very excited :cross:

brewed 10gallons of this, one batch with us04 and the other with notty. i slightly prefer the one with notty but there very similar

excellent brew, but next time ill probably cut the chocolate malt down from 8oz to 4oz. although, mine is still young.

Back