sacrilegious question but I mean well...

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dawn_kiebawls

Lawncare and Landscaping enthusiast
Reaction score
Hey guys and gals..here goes nothin'! My dad is a wonderful person to be around, talk with and enjoy a nice summers day with. He has always supported me in whatever sparks my interest at that time and does what he can to help me out to keep me going in whatever it may be and he is backing me more than I expected him to in this new obsession of mine. He has a masters in both microbiology and organic chemistry but has never had a drink in his life! There was a post on here a while back about some neighbors only preferring to drink adjunct beers and wanting to convert them..This is similar, but not really..

Does anyone have any insight on how to go about brewing non-alcoholic beers (I know standard n/a beers are actually like .01% or whatever, that will be alright)?? He just smelled hops for the first time today and loved it! I would love to be able to finally sit back, crack a cold one and watch the day go by with my Dad!

Any information would be greatly appreciated, thanks! Also, if someone has experience with this I imagine I will just be doing a 1 gallon batch for him. :mug:

jmarks link is a good one. When I make a distillers mash I basically ferment a corn beer of around 10% ABV which is then heated, the steam is condensed and collected as distilled spirits as the alcohol boils off first. What I have left over in the still's boil pot is basically super low ABV beer. Never saved any of that for consumption, but in essence, this is what I'd have left over.

FWIW, I recently made a very low 2.8% ABV rye/wheat that is very nice on a summer afternoon after cutting grass. I suppose this is a bit too high for your goal of NA, but if you are interested let me know and I'll send you a recipe.

brew a beer, ferment it, freeze it what ever does not freeze throw out and keg the rest thats all i can think of

There's a sticky right at the top of this forum on making NA beer. Here's the link.

https://www.homebrewtalk.com/showthread.php?t=39433

Thanks, I actually just finished reading that before you posted the link. This forum/website/community is so helpful I've forgotten how to do simple google searches on my own. I'll work on cutting the cord, or at least try and do a little more leg work on my own before posting ;) :mug:

Midwest Supplies has an short article on it including hop rates and suggestions. Basically bring to 175f to drive off the alcohol. Cut hop rates in half and start with a low hop recipe to begin with.

Back