Alcohol increase from priming sugar

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TomVA

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
I calculate that bottle carbonating a five gallon batch of beer to 2.4 volumes with corn sugar will increase the ABV by about 0.4%. Do you all add this to your ABV calculations from hydrometer readings when noting the ABV of your beers?

TomVA

The various end user mathematical formulas available for computing ABV are only ballparking it to begin with, and the very simple (OG-FG) x 131 type equations are not very reflective of reality.

Adding 4 ounces of corn sugar to a five gallon batch will increase the ABV by .3%, while adding 5 ounces of corn sugar will increase the ABV by .4%.

Like was mentioned, it's a best guess anyway since the measurements are only as accurate as your readings and with the limitations of the simplified formula.

But if you care if a beer is 5.73% ABV vs 5.33%, then sure you can definitely make a note of that.

I do, although I'm not too bothered about it for reasons allready mentioned.

As for reality, if it's good enough for the tax man it is good enough for me :)

Back