Different yeast & baking.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

destruc7

Reaction score
Do different yeast strains give different flavors in baking, like they do in beer? Or would brewers yeast not be as effective bakers yeast?

The most common alternative "bread yeast" obviously is sourdough, and they're supposed to be unique. I like Carl Griffith's free 1847 starter that you can read about and get here.

You can also capture your own, and use it both in beer and brewing. I'm looking at doing this soon, maybe with a rye beer recipe.

As to baking with beer yeasts, there's been a few experiments. The basic brewing guys have this video from 2007.

The Kymos blog has an article about baking with Hefewizen yeast.

Michael Tonsmier the mad fermentalist (oldsock on here) has more stuff on both beer and bread interchanging yeast.

So, I guess the answer is, yes. ;)

But how much so is going to depend on the both the bread and the yeast recipe.... Like I said I think a sourdough starter culture brewing a rye ale might be interesting.

For bread I think funkier yeast strains like Belgians might be more apt to produce flavors in bread than cleaner ale yeasts. I wonder what lager yeasts in the heat would do.

I would also consider with beer yeasts and baking going with the classic 24 hour no knead method of slow growing of the dough, that would I would think allow the flavors from the yeast to develop.

Forgot I had a thread about no knead slow rise bread back from 2008. I'm going to try the no knead method with the Carl Griffith culture like this.

Awesome! Thanks for the info!

I was thinking a wit yeast for a donut, hopefully to bring some citrus or fruitiness out. Or a saison strain for pepper or spice.

Looks like im going to be playing with this in the next couple of weeks.

. . . I wonder what lager yeasts in the heat would do.

The one and only time I tried it, it turned me into a hydrogen sulfide generator the next morning, hahaha! I'll stick to my wild bunch thank you.

Latest posts

Back