brett is weird

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

m00ps

Reaction score
I have some brett starters going for an all-brett IPA. Its been 4 days since I split my original starter into 2 and added some fresh wort. Fermentation picked back up, bit more krausen, then died down.

This morning I woke up to give them a good swirl and one of them erupts like nothing ive ever seen. I had 3-piece airlocks on them and I literally had 8 teeny tiny geysers from the little holes in the top piece of the airlock. They hit the ceiling, gonna be fun to clean that up after work. I know the fermentation "phases" for brett differ from sacch, but it still completely caught me off guard since I had been shaking them for over a week and nothing close to that ever happened

Thanks brett, why ya gotta be like dat?

Brett = honey badger?

honey-badger-dont-care.jpg

I had something similar happen w/ a Brett starter about a month ago, but not as intense as your story. I had it on the stir plate on a low setting for about 2 or 3 days, there was a small krausen, maybe a 1/4 inch thick, so I decided to pick it up and give a swirl by hand for whatever reason. That caused the SOB to foam up like crazy and spewed out a good chunk of the starter through the foil I had on top. Very weird

Back