Barrel Arts and Crafts

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

microbusbrewery

Reaction score
Thought I'd share a little project I did today. I've been involved with some barrel projects but this is my first personal barrel. I did some wood burning a couple years ago for the tap handles on my keezer, so I decided to do something similar on one of the barrel heads. The tap handles were coated in polyurethane to keep them from fading. I won't be doing that with the barrel, so it might fade over time.

Here's the steps:

First step was to print off the image in reverse on a laser printer. I went with the name of my "brewery" and #01 since it's my first barrel.

Next, place the image/text where you want it and use heat to transfer the toner from the paper to the barrel head. My wood burning kit has a transfer tip for this. It's about the size of a nickel. An iron will work as well, but would have been a pain on the barrel head due to limited space.

Once the image is transferred it's just a matter of tracing it out and filling it in with a wood burner.

Here are a couple pics at various stages.
After transfer, but before burning
View attachment ImageUploadedByHome Brew1449271684.022513.jpg

Bottom half and middle done
View attachment ImageUploadedByHome Brew1449271721.019414.jpg

All finished!
View attachment ImageUploadedByHome Brew1449271859.460267.jpg

Looks great and thanks for the details on how to transfer an image to create the outline. Now I think I need to do this to the barrel I just acquired.

On a side note, I need to stop looking on this forum cause I keep starting more projects than I can keep up with.

Ha, yeah you'll always stumble across a few of these projects in the forums...the ones you don't need to do, but you want to do.

Back