Choose The Last Hops on Earth...

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

lembeck2001

Reaction score
Not that anyone would want to imagine such a thing...but if there were only 2 kinds of hops left on Earth, which 2 would you choose? Which 2 would best get you by from this day forward?

Cascade and Hallertau. That lets me brew "domestic" and German beers. Ideally would be three - I'd also want some EKG for British ales.

I actually was thinking of this in the context of the hop shortage last year, and stocked up on bulk Cascade, Fuggles (couldn't get EKG) and Tettnag (couldn't get Hallertau) while they were still available.

BierMuncher said:
WillAMette & Centennial

Ought to add that one to the dictionary. Even BeerSmith got it wrong!!

In regard to the poll: depends on prices. Low prices= low alpha varieties such as hallertaur and fuggles

Current prices= higher alpha such as chinook and cascade

lembeck2001 said:
Not that anyone would want to imagine such a thing...but if there were only 2 kinds of hops left on Earth, which 2 would you choose? Which 2 would best get you by from this day forward?

Leaf and Pellet.

Gotcha. Those are 2 different "kinds" of hops.

Cascade and Warrior. I use a ton of cascade for different beers, and warrior is great to bitter an IPA.

Ok now for the big question why isn't this a poll?

This would be a great way for those thinking about planting hops this year to come to a conclussion on what to plant. Assuming the variety is available.

the_bird said:
Cascade and Hallertau.

Yep. I could brew my Haus Ale, Bavarian Hefe, Oktoberfest, a Porter, etc. I could get by comfortably with only those two if I was on an Island with a ton of malt and many pounds of those hops (and a couple brew elves) :D

EdWort said:
...if I was on an Island with a ...couple brew elves) :D

Ya gotta watch those little b@st@rds at night. First they'll drink your beer, then they'll bugger the hell outta ya...

...not that I have any experience with that sort of thing...

...not that there's anything wrong with that....

BierMuncher said:
Ya gotta watch those little b@st@rds at night. First they'll drink your beer, then they'll bugger the hell outta ya...

...not that I have any experience with that sort of thing...

...not that there's anything wrong with that....

Depends on the Brew Elf I guess.

25543R.jpg

Back