Do oils from late hop bursts/whirlpool stands also cling to yeast cells?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

marshall_tucker

Reaction score
I was pondering on the whole issue with dry hopping in primary, and how the positive effects of dry hopping can be nullified by some of the oils being absorbed into the (suspended) yeast cell walls (i.e. reduced flavor and aroma, compared to what i'll call "perceived potential")

I haven't done a full blown mammoth sized hop burst at flameout yet (though my next IPA in planning will utilize said procedure), so I am not able to form an opinion from experience on this, but does the same "absorption issue" occur to some degree during fermentation, regarding oils from hops in the boil/whirlpool? (i am excluding aroma that is expelled via CO2 in this discussion).

I realize it's near impossible to tell which oils were lost to absorption versus off-gassing, so I guess what i'm asking is if anyone has any educated information on this topic. You'd have to account for the fact that the oils are probably in a "different chemical state" because you're talking about heated oils vs raw cold oils. Perhaps they react differently with the yeast cells in the fermenter?

** Question re-phrased: Considering potential losses of hop oils to yeast absorption, how would a huge hop stand differ from a huge dry hop (assuming you only do one or the other, not both)? And I suppose let's also assume same hop type and quantities.

You know, i really do hate making beer become this technical. it's my inner engineer taking over...

My guess is that you have an idea of how things will come out, and without having a sophisticated science lab available to me all I can give is my opinion based on batches I've brewed :D

I do not think that the "state" of the oil is as much an issue as how much yeast is still in suspension that will eventually flocculate when those oils are available to them. It's also my understanding that different yeast strains have a different amount of "absorption factor" associated with them, but I'm not certain which strains have the least. I would suspect those strains that enhance bitterness might be those with the lower absorption factor (antwerp wlp515 for example).

As far as hop stand vs dry hop and potential losses, I would guess that if you are dry hopping after having removed most of the yeast then your hop aroma profile will fare better than the hop stand additions since you are minimizing the amount of available yeast cells that can absorb the oils in the first place.

Good topic and I look forward to others posts on this subject.

Just off the top of my head... heating the oils in the hop stand will make the hop oils more soluble. Maybe they 'merge' with the water more and less is scrubbed out by yeast during fermentation. My next IPA I'm planning a multi-addition hop stand at several different temperatures (200°, 180° & 160°) just to see if it makes a difference.

I'll be brewing sometime in the next couple weeks, but if anyone else has any first hand exp., please share!

I guess my problem is laziness+paranoid fear of aeration or infection, like many others, so i prefer keeping the process in primary. I thought about maybe just doing a quick cold crash prior to a dry hop (which im still undecided on doing, for experimental purposes), like 24-48 hours. I'm not trying to have crystal clear beer so its not a pointless cold crash. I'll keep my gears turning in the days ahead

Back