Rauchen Pistole - Smoking Gun

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I'll be waiting to hear how this turns out. I don't have a smoking gun but I have a smoker! It'd be a hoot to smoke up some ribs, a Boston Butt, and a couple pounds of malt. ...I do wonder what the moisture in the smoker would do to the malt, though. Cold smoking might be a better idea: I'm not equipped for that at the moment. ALSO, a good reason why the smoking gun may be the way to go.

Be sure to listen to some Robert Cray while brewing:

Last edited by a moderator:
Will do....

I'm still running the mash. I feel lazy. I have an old Purdue Michigan football game on where Purdue Wins. :D

I really only need a 60 minute mash, but since its holding heat I'll do 120....

I plan to make some baby back ribs later today.

The original recipe says to smoke the 2 lbs munich; soak it, then smoke it for 15 minutes. Stirring it every few minutes so it doesn't burn. It mentions using a grill, charcoal, wood chips, and metal screen. Dates back to 1984....

If you can have it on low heat or indirect heat in small baking pan with the grain damp, emersed in smoke, it would be OK.

I just put the grain in a zip-lock bag and filled it with smoke with the gun then zipped it closed. Then let it sit for 24 hours in the bag.

OK - I kegged this the other day.

The smoke taste is noticeable, I don't think its too much. Only problem was that I was drinking Schkenkerla Marzen and then Schlenkerla Urbock, so my taste pallet was a bit waked-out for smoke. Didn't help having smoked pork chops too.

Its carbing for the next week or so. I'll see in a few days...

Drinking this beer now, it tastes pretty smokey. It almost seems like a light with a good bit of up front smoke flavor.

I think it would be very good with any grilled food. Brats come to mind.

Edit: Beer #2 - Detected slight note of a smokey banana... :D

Statistically this is NOT insignificant without 30 beers sampled..... but then ah screw it....

Seriously, has a smokey banana taste... ...odd but good.

Latest posts

Back