Belle Saison in centennial blonde ale?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Along with a lemony flavor you will also get the classic Belgian Funk flavors. Personally I think the centennial hops would pair very well with that funk. I'm pretty sure you'd end up with a nice refreshing light ale. I'd try fermenting in the average temp range, rather than the higher range a lot of people ferment Saisons at. Just remember to bump it up near the end to keep ti from stalling out. I think that particular strain is pretty good at not stalling.

Along with a lemony flavor you will also get the classic Belgian Funk flavors. Personally I think the centennial hops would pair very well with that funk. I'm pretty sure you'd end up with a nice refreshing light ale. I'd try fermenting in the average temp range, rather than the higher range a lot of people ferment Saisons at. Just remember to bump it up near the end to keep ti from stalling out. I think that particular strain is pretty good at not stalling.

What temp would you say is average? I usually ferment around 64 with most of my yeasts.

What temp would you say is average? I usually ferment around 64 with most of my yeasts.

This. Some people advise fermenting a Saison in the mid 80s to low 90s. I don't think that will benefit a Centennial Blonde type experiment. I don't even ferment my Saisons that high anymore. You can get plenty of character with the right strain of yeast and fermenting in the 70s.

I just brewed a Saison with the Belle yeast and did it in the 60s and it was very flavorful. I'm actually craving one right now just thinking about it.

Belle Saison does not need to be fermented warm. It is a beast so expect the fg to be lower than you expect. It should make a nice brew.

Brew it up.

We've been experimenting with the belle saison for a blonde recipe, trying to bring up its final gravity so it's not so thin tasting. I love the lemony, spicy flavour profile but want a bit more body. Best to mash on the high end to get more unfermentables in the beer for that, although still having trouble raising the FG. Ideally would use a yeast with exactly the same flavour characteristics but slightly less attenuation but haven't found anything similar yet. Anyone know of anything similar?

Latest posts

Back