First batch - Phil Keener’s Belgian Dubbel

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MikeSkril

Reaction score
Hi all,

I'm still looking for which beer to brew for my very first batch. I wanna make a stronger beer but as I understand there is a bigger chance of making mistakes, right? I found the below recipe and would really like to try it. What to you think? Would it be better doing a normal Ale for the first time?

Will that work without a yeast starter?

For 5 gallons (18.9 L)
• 6.6 lb (3.0 kg) | Golden light liquid malt extract
• 2.0 lb (0.9 kg) | Golden light dry malt extract
• 1.0 lb (0.45 kg) | Premium Golden Belgian Candi Syrup
• 0.25 cup (59 ml) | maple syrup
• 2.0 oz (57 g) | Cascade hops, 5.75% alpha acid (60 minutes)
• 1.0 oz (28 g) | Cascade hops, 5.75% alpha acid (5 minutes)
• 2 pckgs | Wyeast 1214 Belgian ale yeast
• 5.0 oz (142 g) | corn sugar (to prime)
SPECIFICATIONS
• Original Gravity: 1.068
• Final Gravity: 1.012
• ABV: 7.5%

• Boil Time: 60 minutes

Bring 1 gallon (3.8 L) of water to a boil. Remove from burner and stir in extract, candi sugar and maple syrup.
Boil for a total of 60 minutes, adding hops as indicated in the recipe (the times listed are from the end of the boil). Strain into fermenter with 3 gallons (11.4 L) of cold water (note: DO NOT transfer hot wort into glass carboys).
Top up with cold water to make 5 gallons (18.9 L) total. When temperature drops below 75°F (24°C), pitch yeast.
Ferment for 10 days at 70°-72°F (21°-22°C) or until airlock activity ceases. If you have a second fermenter, rack to secondary fermenter and age 30 days. If you do not have a second fermenter, age another one to two weeks in primary before bottling.
Bottle with 5.0 oz (142 g) corn sugar.

I tried a Belgian Tripel and a Quad as my second and third batches. My biggest issue was that they didn't ferment out. I would strongly suggest making a yeast starter and investing in the erlenmeyer flask for that now. Belgians need to be well attenuated otherwise they'll be cloying. The nice thing about Belgian yeast is that the ferment temp can run up a little bit and you'll be ok.

Brewing a big (strong) beer your first time is ambitious but not impossible. I'd suggest getting a recipe kit instead of following a recipe, though. Northern Brewer, Midwest Supplies, etc. are good sources. I also would encourage you to research yeast starters, but don't make one for your first batch. Focus on brew day. Using two yeast packages is going to work. Add a step such as a yeast starter next batch.

You will have a violent fermentation. Read up on blowoff tubes so that you don't have to deal with the lid/stopper blowing off of your fermenter.

Good luck!

Thanks for the help.

I'm up in Quebec, so I will buy in Canada. I could also buy a kit if you think that this is a better idea. I saw the following at the brewshop where I will order from:

They say...2 weeks and then bottle. Is that not a bit fast for that kind of beer?

5 gallons – 18IBUs – 1.071 OG – Est ABV 7.0%

2 x Briess Pilsen LME
1 x Briess Pilsen DME
1 x Candi Sugar
2 x Saaz (1oz)
1 x Abbaye Dried Yeast
1 x Whirlfloc tablet
1 x 100g Priming Sugar
Quick Instructions
• Bring the water to the boil
• Add all malt extract while the brew pot is off the burner
• Bring to a boil and add 1 oz Saaz bittering/flavour hops. (60 Minutes total boil length)
• Add Whirlfloc tablet and candi sugar with 15 minutes remaining in the boil
• Cool, transfer to fermenter (carboy or bucket) top up to 5 gallon mark and add yeast
• Ferment for two weeks and bottle

http://torontobrewing.ca/index.php/...kits/toronto-brewing-extract-recipe-kits.html

If you pitch two yeast packages, it will be fine. It's certainly better to make a starter, but your job for your first brew is to make drinkable beer. I think you'd be best served by keeping it simple. Add a new step each time you brew. Consider the yeast starter next time.

I read Palmer's book and I'm wondering if people are still rehydrating dry yeast before pitching. I saw some older discussions here but my question is still: To rehydrate, or not to rehydrate?

Thanks for all the help... getting more and more exited about this... :rockin:

If you're making a Belgian, you'll probably have better luck with liquid yeast, though.

The next brewshop is a few hours away...so I will order from a bigger supply here in Canada. They have Brewer's Best and also house made kits. The Brewer's best kits do note state in the description if its try yeast but I assume so. The house made kits (Belgian) have all dry yeast in it (Safbrew Belgian Abbaye Ale) and I can upgrade to liquid (but doesn't say which one the will ship).

My order will be a least 2 days on the road and I'm afraid that liquid yeast is more vulnerable.

Another thing I don't understand... why using liquid yeast if there are a lot more of cells in the dry yeast?

thx

Back