Saison Spiced Cider

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

vegas20s

Reaction score
After trying a few commercially made ciders this weekend I have decided I like my cider bone dry (thanks Ed Wort). I bought said ciders to try out some spice additions I have been thinking about doing. I did a thorough web search but couldn't find much direction, mainly I found people like myself trying to figure out how to do it. So I came up with this recipe that I made the other night.

6 gallon tree top apple Juice
2 lbs white sugar
2” shredded ginger root
1 tsp coriander seeds freshly crushed
1 Tbs ground coriander (I would have used all seeds but didn't have enough)
1 lemon (juice and zest)
around 15-20 green cardamon pods cracked open.
1 five gram packet of Montrachet Wine Yeast

I used the lemon juice to invert the sugar.

I made a tea out of the spices and lemon peel.

The tea was strained and every thing was added to the fermanter.

Total volume ended up at 25 Liters (just shy of 7 gallons). OG came to 1.060 @ 79 F. This yeast has been going down to around 1.00 for me so it should end up around 8% ABV

So I have now made several batches of this and I keep going back to it. It's quite refreshing. It's like a ginger ale cider hybrid. I've been experimenting with my ciders lately by pitching them on the yeast cake of a beer to see what the hops and left over grains do. I am going to pitch this recipe on top a saison that I have brewing now. The ciders that I pitch on top of the beer yeast cakes are quite interesting and good. So I am excited to see what a saison does to my favorite cider recipe.

I have made this with s-04 as well and I think I like it best with the s-04 vs Montrachet. It leaves it a bit sweeter with a bit more esters and flavor.

Thanks for the recipe. I'm brewing an apricot hopped cider at the moment and will be adding some coriander seeds too. Also have a batch of ginger cider with coriander seeds.

Latest posts

Back