Weizenbock Weizenbock (2014 gold medal)

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Qcbrew

Reaction score
Recipe Type
All Grain
Yeast
WLP300
Yeast Starter
Yes
Batch Size (Gallons)
Original Gravity
Final Gravity
Boiling Time (Minutes)
IBU
Color
Primary Fermentation (# of Days & Temp)
18 days (64F)
Tasting Notes
See below
Ingredients

7.75 lbs Munich II Weyermann
9.0 lbs Red Wheat Briess
.4 lbs Crystal 135/170 Hugh Bairds
.4 lbs Special B Dingemans

Magnum at 60 minutes to 20 IBU

Mash
5.25 gal water at 164F
Hold mash at 149F for 90 minutes
Sparge with 165F water

Fermentation
Pitch yeast at 64F
Ferment at 64F for 18 days
Prime with 2.8 volumes of CO2

Notes
This is one of my favorite beers and it just won a gold medal in a homebrew competition. Do not forget to account for the pH rise due to the wheat if you want to get similar efficiency to mine.

Thanks... my favorite beer is Live Oak Primus .... so I want to try brewing this!

If you are ever in Texas...in particular Austin... Live Oak is a must visit! One of those breweries that is very traditional and nails everything they brew.

This is an ale, so you don't lager it. It can be bulk aged a bit, but the banana/clove from the weizen yeast will go away. I was drinking it after 30 days, but it could probably be less if you keg instead of bottle. The beer was sent into competition after about a month and a half in the bottle (so about 2 months total).

If you want a lager you will get something closer to a dopplebock, though with more body due to the wheat.

This is an ale, so you don't lager it. It can be bulk aged a bit, but the banana/clove from the weizen yeast will go away. I was drinking it after 30 days, but it could probably be less if you keg instead of bottle. The beer was sent into competition after about a month and a half in the bottle (so about 2 months total).

If you want a lager you will get something closer to a dopplebock, though with more body due to the wheat.

From the Weihenstephaner website - notes an Extra Long Storage Time - This probably reduces the banana character but that is what the site says Hints of banana.

I have been a big fan of the Vitus Beer and offer the following notes to study and ny attempt last year to clone this beer after having it on tap in Milwaukee and loving it.

Vitus
csm_vitus_e8eb9b0d97.png

Our light-coloured, spicy single-bock, “Vitus” is saturated with fine yeast and a creamy foam. It is a specialty with a round character based on the extra long storage time. The fruity smell of dried apricots joins aromas of citrus, cloves and hints of banana. Full-bodied and sparkling with an effervescent mouthfeel. Thus, the Vitus does not taste like a typical Bock beer but more like a noble, fruity wheat beer. Perfect with red meat, strong cheese and also able to guide desserts. Brewed according to our centuries-old brewing tradition on the Weihenstephan hill.

Also tasting notes from All about Beer:
http://allaboutbeer.com/article/weizenbock-2/

vitus4.jpg
Weihenstephan Vitus
ABV:
Tasting Notes: The Bayerische Staatsbrauerei Weihenstephan of Freising, Bavaria, is familiar to all, brewing of some of the world’s most famous and stellar beer. Vitus pours hazy, bright lemon-yellow, and is crowned by three rambunctious inches of pure white foam. The nose is dynamic, sporting phenol, cinnamon, clove and loads of banana, some pear and wisps of vanilla and lemon zest. Mouthfeel is slick, textured and crisp. Some sweetish, doughy malt lingers in the finish along with spicy yeast imprint. This voluptuous blonde is world-class. 7.7% ABV.

Also from Wyeast's Chart one of the Yeasts that is recommended for Weizenbock is Wyeast 3638 Bavarian Wheat - or WLP 351 - which is Weihenstephan 175 according to Mr Malty

STRAIN:

BAVARIAN WHEAT

A complex alternative to the standard German wheat strain profile. This strain produces apple, pear, and plum esters in addition to the dominant banana character. The esters are complemented nicely by clove and subtle vanilla phenolics. The balance can be manipulated towards ester production through increasing fermentation temperature, increasing the wort density, and decreasing the pitch rate. Over pitching can result in a near complete loss of banana character. Decreasing the ester level will allow a higher clove character to be perceived. Sulfur is commonly produced, but will dissipate with conditioning. This strain is very powdery and will remain in suspension for an extended amount of time following attenuation. This is true top cropping yeast and requires fermenter headspace of 33%.

STRAIN:

WEIHENSTEPHAN WEIZEN

The classic and most popular German wheat beer strain used worldwide. This yeast strain produces a beautiful and delicate balance of banana esters and clove phenolics. The balance can be manipulated towards ester production through increasing the fermentation temperature, increasing the wort density, and decreasing the pitch rate. Over pitching can result in a near complete loss of banana character. Decreasing the ester level will allow a higher clove character to be perceived. Sulfur is commonly produced, but will dissipate with conditioning. This strain is very powdery and will remain in suspension for an extended amount of time following attenuation. This is true top cropping yeast and requires fermenter headspace of 33%.

I have tried one recipe already last year and am going to try another version soon. The first recipe was:
Avangard Pale Wheat - 52%
Avangard Pilsner - 23%
Best Munich 1 - 18%
Avangard Vienna - 6%
Special B - 1.2%

Mash was double decocted with Fueric Rest at 110F and Protein Rest at 130F. Sacc Rest was 156F

I used 2 packs of Wyeast 3638 with no starter but my notes say I fermented at 54F which may be wrong.
I was somewhat happy with the results but the beer was too dark. Had plenty of banana and phenol notes with a clove balance. Aroma was very close to the Vitus.

My next recipe will drop the Special B in half, reduce the Munich a bit, Replace the Pilsner Malt with Weyermann Bohemian Pils and up the percentage - only do Fueric/Sacc Rests at 110F and 154F. I am also going to use the same yeast 3638 but only 1 pack and ferment at 66-68F. Will post when I brew.

My target malt bill will be:

Weyermann Pale Wheat - 50%
Weyermann Bohemian Pils - 35%
Weyermann Munich 1 - 10%
Avangard Vienna 5%
Special B 0.5%

I would love to try a 10 gal batch and pitch each yeast side by side in 2 carboys but cant do this much in my 10 gal cooler unless I did PM with Wheat Extract - I want to stay with the German Malts - I dont think the White Wheat is appropriate for cloning a Vitus.

I brewed this sometime ago (5/28/17) I did keep a few notes and used a "Tilt" hydrometer and changed the yeast to Munich Classic Wheat Dry Yeast from Lallemand as that what my LHBS had. I have to say I loved the beer.... Link to my ferm info: https://goo.gl/JCF1pl

I brewed this sometime ago (5/28/17) I did keep a few notes and used a "Tilt" hydrometer and changed the yeast to Munich Classic Wheat Dry Yeast from Lallemand as that what my LHBS had. I have to say I loved the beer.... Link to my ferm info: https://goo.gl/JCF1pl

dbals, I really like your simple recipe approach. I also really like your google spreadsheet and Tilt integration. Is that sheet available anywhere (yeah, i'd like to use it if possible)? I have two Tilt devices and although brewstat and the default google sheet is nice, yours is got a good glimpse visual to it :).

dbals, I really like your simple recipe approach. I also really like your google spreadsheet and Tilt integration. Is that sheet available anywhere (yeah, i'd like to use it if possible)? I have two Tilt devices and although brewstat and the default google sheet is nice, yours is got a good glimpse visual to it :).
Always willing to share, it's not all original and is currently at 22 sheets of which 11 are hidden. Much is automated- please read the Sheet notes first I have also included a link to the original worksheet on the settings page https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet...AEvMV9hr9vHslp1PvRxGWY/edit#rangeid=958581506

here is a copy of mine-
https://goo.gl/NUueYy

You need to start with adding a beer to the Brewlog

Please ask questions- I'm always working on this thing.

Dan B

That is awesome work! I am planning a brew this weekend, not sure if I can get time to get this setup for that though. I will give a go tomorrow. Great notes too BTW.

Thanks again for sharing.

Always willing to share, it's not all original and is currently at 22 sheets of which 11 are hidden. Much is automated- please read the Sheet notes first I have also included a link to the original worksheet on the settings page https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet...AEvMV9hr9vHslp1PvRxGWY/edit#rangeid=958581506

here is a copy of mine-
https://goo.gl/NUueYy

You need to start with adding a beer to the Brewlog

Please ask questions- I'm always working on this thing.

Dan B

My next recipe will drop the Special B in half, reduce the Munich a bit, Replace the Pilsner Malt with Weyermann Bohemian Pils and up the percentage - only do Fueric/Sacc Rests at 110F and 154F. I am also going to use the same yeast 3638 but only 1 pack and ferment at 66-68F. Will post when I brew.

My target malt bill will be:

Weyermann Pale Wheat - 50%
Weyermann Bohemian Pils - 35%
Weyermann Munich 1 - 10%
Avangard Vienna 5%
Special B 0.5%

I would love to try a 10 gal batch and pitch each yeast side by side in 2 carboys but cant do this much in my 10 gal cooler unless I did PM with Wheat Extract - I want to stay with the German Malts - I dont think the White Wheat is appropriate for cloning a Vitus.

How was the rebrew with your second recipe?

Any closer to color? Any further tweaks or improvements or plans for future batches?

I brewed a 1.061 version of Qcbrew’s original recipe with Hallertau M and WY3068 on Sunday-another 8-10 days in the Anvil conical fermenter and it’ll go into a keg.

8 day gravity is 1.018 and tastes wheaty and banana estery even if green and flat.

Going to wait to let it go a couple days and closer to ~1.011 and cold crash then keg and carb, can’t wait!

8 day gravity is 1.018 and tastes wheaty and banana estery even if green and flat.

Going to wait to let it go a couple days and closer to ~1.011 and cold crash then keg and carb, can’t wait!

This got down to 1.012 and 6.5% ABV IIRC and has been in a cold keg for nearly 3 weeks. It was a bit green at first, my new lines may have been partly to blame for a bit of bitter ‘envelope glue’ aftertaste-but it’s mellowing nicely and the taste is really closing in on Vitus-though it is darker. Not sure how long the keg will last but if it keeps improving with time it’ll be hard not to make this or a standard HeffeWeissbier again soon!

Well this keg just won’t die-and it’s better now that it’s ever been. Wheat, malt, banana-esterey, a hint of spice. I was thinking the keg was done and had a bottle of real Vitus, they’re unbelievably close, neither tastes or drinks like they’re 6-7% and so delicious!

Latest posts

Back