Rochefort 10 - Candi Syrup Inc Recipe (Has anyone brewed this?)

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Douglefish

Reaction score
I was thinking about brewing the Rochefort 10 Clone off of Candisyrup.com, but was curious if anyone has brewed this recipe? There are others floating around on the internet but they all use way more specialty grains.

If you did brew it, did you keg or bottle it and how long did you let it age before drinking.

I have not brewed it, but the CSI guys put a lot of time into their recipes comparing them side by side with the actual beer. I would go with whatever they have posted.

Traditional Belgian beers have pretty simple grain bills and rely on the candi sugar and yeast to give them a lot of the complex flavors. Any recipe that has a lot of specialty grains is not brewed in the traditional way. Not to say it is not a good recipe, but the CandiSyrup one is more authentic.

I was thinking about brewing the Rochefort 10 Clone off of Candisyrup.com, but was curious if anyone has brewed this recipe? There are others floating around on the internet but they all use way more specialty grains.

If you did brew it, did you keg or bottle it and how long did you let it age before drinking.

Glad you started this thread. It's been on my "Ta Do" list for a while. Hopefully someone chimes in. Rochefort 10 = some good SH*&!!

Reviving an old thread...sorry!!

I'm planning on brewing this tomorrow with a couple of minor changes. Here's the link to their recipe http://www.candisyrup.com/uploads/6/0/3/5/6035776/rochefort_10_clone_-_040.pdf

I'm dropping the Blanc Soft Sugar
Dropping 1lb of the D-180 and using 1lb of Turbinado
Using all Saaz for hops or possibly Magnum @60 and Saaz at 15

Turbinado has a higher extract potential than D-180 and Blanc Soft so the OG didn't change and I don't think there'll be much of a flavor change either, might just add a little rum note. This one change will also knock off about $12 for the ingredients(1lb of D-180 = $7 and 1lb of Blanc Soft = $5) if you already have Turbinado in the house, which I have a 5lb bag of already.

The hops aren't really playing a role in this, I have .5oz of Magnum to get used up and Saaz is a noble hop not uncommon in Belgian styles and I already have 4 or 5 oz in the freezer.

I'm also going ot be using WLP545, so I know this won't be a true "clone," but I'm really not after a true clone. I've never had Rochefort 10, can easily find it in my area so I wouldn't know how close it is anyway. I have a Belgian Dubbel/Stout that I'm ready to bottle while this is boiling and will be using part of that yeast cake. This will ensure I have plenty of yeast for this BIG beer without having to spend money/time on new yeast and building a huge starter.

Brewed today, all went well I think. I had to pull my gravity sample from my kettle instead of fermenter after racking since I put this on top of a yeast cake after I dumped some off to wash. The sample had a lot of trub in it and measured low, 1.073, which I know is way off since my pre-boil sample measured 1.054 and I boiled off almost 1.5 gallons and the candi syrup and turbinado add 21 points on their own, so my pre-boil plus sugars would have put me at 1.075.

Based on my pre-boil SG, then boiling off about 1.5 gallons, then adding the syrup and sugar my calculations put me at 1.092, which is only one point below what I estimated, I estimated hitting 1.093, the original recipe puts it at 1.096.

Wort was very good, sweet as to be expected, but damn tasty. Good flavors of molasses, brown sugar, dried cherries, figs, is what I picked up on the most. Can't wait till I pull a hydro sample in a 2 to 3 weeks just to see how where the gravity is at then. I may also bottle at that point if I don't need to raise the temps to get it to finish which I don't think I will based on what I've read about WLP545.

Rochefort is said to bottle after around 10 days of fermentation and then it's all bottle conditioning after that, so 21 days in the primary should work too. I really don't plan to start opening these for at least a couple months, Thanksgiving, X-mas, and New Years I'll open a few and likely around 12 bottles will get set side to age for a year or longer.

I transferred to secondary to get this off the trub and yeast for a week or two, only because I transferred a lot more trub than I expected to. After 3 weeks it's down to 1.004 8 points lower than I expected, but does line up with what some people say about WLP545 and that it performs like a saison strain.

Taste wise was good, could be a little sweeter but given the high attenuation I was expecting a lot of residual sweetness. The dark fruits are there, little more subtle than most Quads, but to be expected given the SG. I didn't pick up on any smell or taste of alcohol except maybe it's sweet characteristics, there's no burn at all even though it clocks in at 11.5% now.

Another week or two and she'll be going into bottles. Can't wait to taste the first one after it's cold and has some carbonation.

Tried another sample of this today and the alcohol has become more present, bit FG hasn't changed, still at 1.004. Also, taste wise I didn't get much of the dark fruit/sugars I was before.

Is this typical during the aging process? This is my first time with a beer over 9% so I'm just wondering if it needs time?

Also thinking of possibly adding some frozen blackberries or wild berries and some cinnamon to make somewhat of a "holiday quad "

Back