Buy Hops Quick

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kingjam

Reaction score
Anyone read the Money section of USA today. World wide hop shortage....Prices going to sky rocket.

I asked this before. Is this just an attempt to get rid of last year's crop ? It's hard to tell who is telling the truth.

The truth will set you free, but may also make you broke.

Hey, I have a bridge for sale, just in case anyone is interested.

It's really nice. Cars go on it sometimes.

Is there any truth to this? I stopped in my LHBS yesterday and the main guy there (who usually seems pretty straight up to me) mentioned the same thing. He said they wouldn't be getting anything different. I was in a bit of a hurry to get out, but he said they would only (readily) have 5 types of hops and that other (exotic/different/strange/non-standard/magical) hops would be tough to get for a long period of time (as he was rattling names off, the only one I quickly recognized was Centennial). He seems to know me as a guy that's been coming in for a few months now, regularly buying stuff from him (as my father, for a several years himself), so I wouldn't see why he would try and sales hype us... any thoughts?

I wonder if this has anything to do with the bee issues, dont bees need to pollinate the crops? my hops didnt flower but I think that might be normal for the first year. Im buying as many rhizome's as i can get my hands on next year

It's been discussed at length here, but we'll just have to wait and see I guess.

Beerrific said:
Wonder how many more times this will be posted as "news" until everyone's finally noticed the hop shortage/price increases :p

I'm keeping my fingers crossed that once this year's crop hits the market things might be okay for a while (at least long enough to buy a lot more in bulk before they run out again), but I'm not getting my hopes up too much.

I'm new to this..

But for comparison, how much WAS a pound of hops a year ago, now its about $25.00 right?

You don't need bees to pollinate, you can do the job yourself with a light brush..or some wind.

El_Borracho said:
But for comparison, how much WAS a pound of hops a year ago, now its about $25.00 right?
I remember trying hard to talk myself into buying hops by the pound earlier this year, and at that time I seem to remember them being between $10-14 depending on variety. If only I'd been able to see the future.

I posted this somewhere else but:

Here's where I bought my 5lb of hops. I think this is a real small time place so it took a few weeks to get them. The lady was real nice and called me to make sure I still wanted them bc she'd have to order them from the supplier. Seems like the price was right, I got 5lb for about $50 shipped.

http://www.brewsupplies.com Click on Bulk Hops 1 Pound under Select Ingredients for Making Beer

It's very real. My hop crop was low compared to last year due to heavier than normal rain. Just look at the current prices! The same hops I bought from Freshops just last Spring have now nearly doubled in price. Glad I stocked up then!

The market will support what the market can bear. If people keep buying in bulk at these prices they will stay that high and a year from now $15-20 for a LB will be the norm.

Quite honestly I don't see it as THAT much, but I'm new and haven't bought.. I also don't plan to go all grain for a while, so I wont be using hops unless they come in the kit.. Now if the kits start getting more pricey than 25-30 I'll def move to all grain and probably buy in bulk..

Why is there even a shortage, is it a farming related issue?

USA today said that micro breweries are going to modify there recipes to counter the rising prices of hops.

You know it's bad when co-workers are talking about how beer prices might go up because of a hop shortage... They sounded worried but drink stuff like Schmidt and Corona.

SPLASTiK said:
You know it's bad when co-workers are talking about how beer prices might go up because of a hop shortage... They sounded worried but drink stuff like Schmidt and Corona.

Shlitz Malt Liquor??

Just got my last big order in the mail... I miiiiiight get an order of styrian and kent in a week or two if I can find for a decent price. Order I just got was 1 lb Fuggles, 1 lb Saaz, 3 ounce galena.

how long do the hops keep? i'm only half way thru my first fermentation and already i think i'm bitten with the bug. would be interested in doing some bulk buying if i knew how to store and how long i can store. i saw a similar thread on malt grains but not on hops.

hops don't rely on bees for pollination. in fact, you'd probably be bummed if your hops were pollinated; they'd be full of seeds. the vast majority of hop producers produce seedless hops. the hop breeding program at OSU in corvallis, OR is probably the only place you'd find pollinated hops. there is a brief article about the program by Ray Daniels in this months "Zymurgy".

SenorWanderer said:
hops don't rely on bees for pollination. in fact, you'd probably be bummed if your hops were pollinated; they'd be full of seeds. the vast majority of hop producers produce seedless hops. the hop breeding program at OSU in corvallis, OR is probably the only place you'd find pollinated hops. there is a brief article about the program by Ray Daniels in this months "Zymurgy".

Kinda like weed. :mug:

cd2448 said:
how long do the hops keep? i'm only half way thru my first fermentation and already i think i'm bitten with the bug. would be interested in doing some bulk buying if i knew how to store and how long i can store. i saw a similar thread on malt grains but not on hops.
Sealed pellets should last for 3 years in the freezer...

kenb said:
Sealed pellets should last for 3 years in the freezer...

I agree they will last a while. I've had some for 6 months that were left out of the freezer for almost a month, they had been sitting in a bin in a brewstore in Amsterdam before that, and they are still great. I used em on a batch I just transfered to secondary today and they taste great.

OK, so how long do hops last at room temperature? There is a LHBS near me that has all their hops on the shelf. They mainly do wine stuff so I am not sure of the turn over. I bought some Amarillo their today because it was either that or do without. They have a lot of the now-hard-to-find hops and they have not raised prices.

Ah, Ó Flannagáin's, post makes me think I should go back and buy more...the nice old folk will probably give me weird(er) looks...he he

Beerrific said:
OK, so how long do hops last at room temperature? There is a LHBS near me that has all their hops on the shelf. They mainly do wine stuff so I am not sure of the turn over. I bought some Amarillo their today because it was either that or do without. They have a lot of the now-hard-to-find hops and they have not raised prices.

Ah, Ó Flannagáin's, post makes me think I should go back and buy more...the nice old folk will probably give me weird(er) looks...he he

I'm of course talking in pellet form, I never get in leaf form. I just don't know how well they would store and I like to buy in bulk.

SenorWanderer said:
I don't . . .pffft . . . . have a clue. . . .pffft . . . . what you're talking about . . .[cough].

Once I have a couple more pints I'm probably gonna have to start a legalization rant in drunken ramblings section... been on my mind a lot lately, and I haven't smoked in forever.

Midwest has an update on their site. They see this as a temporary situation and next years crop should be near normal. They are also urging folks NOT to panic buy, which drives the price higher, needlessly.

Ó Flannagáin said:
Once I have a couple more pints I'm probably gonna have to start a legalization rant in drunken ramblings section... been on my mind a lot lately, and I haven't smoked in forever.
I know a guy on another thread who knows a guy who can get you are REALLY great deal on an Irish Moss bush that's gotta be good for tokin' on...:drunk:

Evets said:
Midwest has an update on their site. They see this as a temporary situation and next years crop should be near normal. They are also urging folks NOT to panic buy, which drives the price higher, needlessly.

Midwest is the ONLY one i have read that thinks this will all be 'fixed' by 2008. All the MAJOR suppliers (like hopsunion) are saying it will not be until 2010, as it will take that long to get new acreage planted and established.

Just saying what I read, but yeah, I gotta agree with your point. Besides, I think most of the panic buying's been done by now and we're seeing the effects of that. I must admit, I grabbed a few pounds myself.

I just got this from my supplier - isn't this contradictory ?

the 2007 crop is not yet ready for shipment, and the
2006 crop is nearly sold out. The situation looks pretty bad now (if you look at our website, most varieties are unavailable). The 2007 crop is just beginning to ship, and we expect the situation will only improve from this point forward.

WTF ???

Brewer3401 said:
I just got this from my supplier - isn't this contradictory ?

the 2007 crop is not yet ready for shipment, and the
2006 crop is nearly sold out. The situation looks pretty bad now (if you look at our website, most varieties are unavailable). The 2007 crop is just beginning to ship, and we expect the situation will only improve from this point forward.

WTF ???

Maybe they're talking about the '07 hops are just starting to be shipped to THEM, but they're not ready to start re-selling them to US quite yet. Poorly written, but that would make sense.

the_bird said:
Maybe they're talking about the '07 hops are just starting to be shipped to THEM, but they're not ready to start re-selling them to US quite yet. Poorly written, but that would make sense.

Could be.

Won't say which store, because I've used them for years and am extremely happy with their products and service.

Your statement makes sense - just poorly written.

Back