Infection Question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Kevin Dean

Reaction score
This isn't a "is my batch infected" question. My batch is, without doubt, infected. The mold on it has grown pretty fast the last few days. My questions are a bit more specific.

First, a little side info. It's a slightly mismeasured version of Yuri's Thunderstruck Pumpkin ale and it was just dandy up until I racked to secondary. Even for the first week it was pretty good, with small spots up top that COULD have been yeast clumps.

Sadly, after about a week and a half, I'm certain its' mold.

How long does mold take to grow? I'm wondering if this batch was infected when it went into primary or if (as I believe) it was contaminated during racking to secondary?

It spent a week (fine) in the primary and mold was CLEARLY mold after 1.5 weeks in the secondary.

Is mold contamination usually airborne, or is the most likely cause something else.

Thank a bunch.

Did you add anything to the secondary, like pumpkin, or hops or anything? if so that could be a source. Sorry for the loss.

Cheers

No, it is a pumpkin beer (there's a thin layer of pumpkin residue floating to the top) but nothing was added to it in the secondary, no dry hopping or the like.

One thing I did differently this batch was the use of a starter. I used a new WLP vial, made a starter, stepped it up, split it, stepped up again an pitched. I don't THINK my starter has a bug, I was pretty cautious on that regard and the mold didn't kick in until after racking.

But at the same time, if it's possible it was my starter, I'll just dump the other yeast I didn't pitch.

wop31 said:
Sorry for the loss.

Honestly, I'm not. :p I made this batch at the subtle hint that my CEO liked it (he also has a Christmas party which this was going to be for...) and because it was easy to decide on and because it fit the season. It also would give me some variety to learn from.

It wasn't until a few hours AFTER brew day did I realize that I am absolutely disgusted by Pumpkin ales. So being able to learn a little from this infection actually sweetened the deal... It might help me be a better breweing for batches I actually DO want to drink. :drunk:

Mold spores can travel by air. It is possible that it happened during racking. Did you rack in your kitchen? Do you leave bread on the counter? That could very well be the source if you answered yes. I wouldn't toss out the batch just yet. You can rack the beer out of the secondary by racking under the mold and stopping before you drain the whole thing. Bottle them and them just check for mold in the neck of the brews before opening. You may loose a few, but I bet most of them will be ok.

Latest posts

Back