How Many Grams Sugar in Starter Wort and Brix

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

d_striker

Reaction score
According to the Brewer's Friend yeast starter calculator, it takes 114g of DME to create a 1L 1.040 starter wort.

Is it correct to assume that 1L of 1.040 starter wort made from grain also contains 114g of sugar?

Also, how does Brix factor into this? 1 degree Brix is 1g of sugar dissolved in 100g solution. 1.040 wort is 10 degrees Brix. I don't understand how one extrapolates how much sugar is contained in a given amount of solution per degrees Brix. Can anyone explain?

extract weight in kg = wort volume in liters * sg * Plato / 100

1L * 1.040 * .1 =.104
.104 * 1000=104

So is it correct to assume that there is 104g of sugar in wort 1L of 1.040 wort?

I've always just used Jamil's 10 per 100 rule. 10g of DME per 100ml of water. Always have kick ass starters.

Thanks for the input but that's not what I'm asking.

Oh sorry. Actually, I believe 1 degree Brix is 1g sugar and 99ml water. 5 degrees Brix = 5g sugar, 95ml water etc.... It also gets tricky with wort, it raises gravity with unfermentables as well so it's a little vague.

I've always just used Jamil's 10 per 100 rule. 10g of DME per 100ml of water. Always have kick ass starters.

When it comes to starters, this is a useful rule.

But the formula that d_striker has is more correct.

As for Brix and sg or Plato you need to keep in mind that wort and sugar solution have different refractive indices at the same strength. For my refractometer I have to use a factor of 1.04 like this

Plato = 1.04 * Brix

When it comes to making starters I believe the yeast growth is more dependent on available extract than the actual gravity of the wort (assuming reasonable wort gravities). It's also true that there is much more uncertainty of the actual yeast growth than you get from measurement errors.

Kai

According to the Brewer's Friend yeast starter calculator, it takes 114g of DME to create a 1L 1.040 starter wort.

Is it correct to assume that 1L of 1.040 starter wort made from grain also contains 114g of sugar?

A liter of wort made from any source of 'extract' weighs 1.040*998.203 = 1038.1 grams. A sucrose solution of that density contains 9.993 grams sucrose per 100 grams i.e. it is 9.993 °P or very close to 9.993 Brix (the scales are very close to one another) or, in other words 9.993% w/w sucrose.
0.09993*1038.1 = 103.7 sucrose. So to make 1.040 sucrose solution one dissolves 103.7 grams sucrose in 3/4 L of water and then makes up to 1 L.

DME contains mostly maltose but other sugars as well. The fact that these are not sucrose doesn't effect the weight/density relationship appreciably but maltose does carry 1 water of hydration which means that a gram of maltose is only about 950 mg maltose and 50 mg water. Thus 103.7/.95 = 109 grams of maltose from the Spectrum Chemical Maltose jar would be needed to make a 1.040 SG solution. So the 114 grams number is either in error or assumes a higher moisture content for the particular DME who ever came up with that number was working with. As anyone who has opened a bag of DME on a humid day or dumped one into a steaming kettle knows it is very hygroscopic.

Also, how does Brix factor into this? 1 degree Brix is 1g of sugar dissolved in 100g solution. 1.040 wort is 10 degrees Brix. I don't understand how one extrapolates how much sugar is contained in a given amount of solution per degrees Brix. Can anyone explain?

I've kind of sketched out how it is done but here it is step by step.
1. Determine the density of the wort by multiplying the specific gravity by the density of water, 998.203 g/L (at 20 °C)
2. Determine the °P either by looking it up it the ASBC table or using the ASBC polynomial (which I'll get to in a minute)
3. Multiply the density (grams/L) but the Plato value (percent) and divide by 100 (to convert °P to a fraction). The result is the number of grams of sugar in 1L of wort.
4. Subtract that from the density from Step 1. That is the weight of the water in 1 liter of wort in grams.
5. Divide the weight of the water by .998203 to get the number of mL of water.
6. Measure out sugar and water and mix. If the sugar contains water, either as water of hydration or adsorbed moisture, be sure to allow for that (or dessicate the sugar before weighing out).

ASBC Polynomial:

To calculate °P from 20°C/20°C apparent specific gravity use

°P = ((135.997*S - 630.272)*S +1111.14)*S - 616.868

You can copy and paste that into an excel spreadsheet

For my refractometer I have to use a factor of 1.04 like this
Plato = 1.04 * Brix
When evaluating refractometers for potential use in brewing I found that the refractometer and precision Plato hydrometers agreed very closely most of the time. On occasion the refractometer would be off 1 Bx or more. I concluded that the refractive indices of wort and sucrose solutions were quite close to one another except when they weren't and that, therefore, I wasn't going to rely on a refractometer.

A liter of wort made from any source of 'extract' weighs 1.040*998.203 = 1038.1 grams. A sucrose solution of that density contains 9.993 grams sucrose per 100 grams i.e. it is 9.993 °P or very close to 9.993 Brix (the scales are very close to one another) or, in other words 9.993% w/w sucrose.
0.09993*1038.1 = 103.7 sucrose. So to make 1.040 sucrose solution one dissolves 103.7 grams sucrose in 3/4 L of water and then makes up to 1 L.

DME contains mostly maltose but other sugars as well. The fact that these are not sucrose doesn't effect the weight/density relationship appreciably but maltose does carry 1 water of hydration which means that a gram of maltose is only about 950 mg maltose and 50 mg water. Thus 103.7/.95 = 109 grams of maltose from the Spectrum Chemical Maltose jar would be needed to make a 1.040 SG solution. So the 114 grams number is either in error or assumes a higher moisture content for the particular DME who ever came up with that number was working with. As anyone who has opened a bag of DME on a humid day or dumped one into a steaming kettle knows it is very hygroscopic.

I've kind of sketched out how it is done but here it is step by step.
1. Determine the density of the wort by multiplying the specific gravity by the density of water, 998.203 g/L (at 20 °C)
2. Determine the °P either by looking it up it the ASBC table or using the ASBC polynomial (which I'll get to in a minute)
3. Multiply the density (grams/L) but the Plato value (percent) and divide by 100 (to convert °P to a fraction). The result is the number of grams of sugar in 1L of wort.
4. Subtract that from the density from Step 1. That is the weight of the water in 1 liter of wort in grams.
5. Divide the weight of the water by .998203 to get the number of mL of water.
6. Measure out sugar and water and mix. If the sugar contains water, either as water of hydration or adsorbed moisture, be sure to allow for that (or dessicate the sugar before weighing out).

ASBC Polynomial:

To calculate °P from 20°C/20°C apparent specific gravity use

°P = ((135.997*S - 630.272)*S +1111.14)*S - 616.868

You can copy and paste that into an excel spreadsheet

You win the internet.....

When evaluating refractometers for potential use in brewing I found that the refractometer and precision Plato hydrometers agreed very closely most of the time. On occasion the refractometer would be off 1 Bx or more. I concluded that the refractive indices of wort and sucrose solutions were quite close to one another except when they weren't and that, therefore, I wasn't going to rely on a refractometer.

I have been taking refractometer and hydrometer readings for the OG of many batches now and the above formula is the average. I never saw an outlier that was large enough that I couldn't trust my refractometer. That's why I use it a lot during the hot side of brewing, especially to asses mash conversion.

But its ATC function seems to be broken and I have to calibrate with water when I know that its temperature may have changed from the last calibration.

Kai

While I did note that the readings were very close to one another most of the time in wort I also did some experiments with temperature and found that the RI vs temperature curves for sucrose solutions (for which these are calibrated) is substantially different from the RI vs temperature curve for wort/beer.

While I did note that the readings were very close to one another most of the time in wort I also did some experiments with temperature and found that the RI vs temperature curves for sucrose solutions (for which these are calibrated) is substantially different from the RI vs temperature curve for wort/beer.

Which is why my refractometer hasn't seen the light of day since the first time I attempted to use it for beer....

That's very interesting. I hadn't thought of that and this would definitely be an issue for brewers who have changing ambient temperatures.

Kai

Back