Karl Strauss Wreck Alley Imperial Stout

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Moose777

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
I was one of 5 judges who awarded this beer the Gold medal at the 2012 California Beer Festival in Ventura.

It was AMAZING. I emailed the brewery and was pleasantly surprised to get a response with the recipe for this fine Imperial Stout.

70% 2row
4.5% C60
4.5% C80
2.5% Chocolate malt
2.5 Roasted barley
2.5% debittered black malt
5.7% rolled oats

Yeast WLP001

Mash temp high
finish gravity is about 5P
OG 21P
Hop variety does not matter much first and last additions 25 IBU total
Dry hop with equal amounts of light roast whole coffee beans and coconibs for about 2 days before kegging.

:mug:

Yeah this beer is awesome! I received it as a 'bonus' in a trade and it ended up being better than the beers I asked for haha.
The percentages in your post don't quite add up to 100%...
Thanks for sharing!

I bought this today, without knowing anything about it.

Holy Smokes!! Talk about an Awesome beer. The aroma is great and the taste is a mouthful.

The coffee and the choc. malt compliment each other.

I wonder how long they aged it.

I'm a big time coffee drinker and can tell they used quality coffee. Also, I can taste the bitterness on the sides of my tongue.

I would love to brew an extract version. However, I doubt that it will come close to the original.

Btw, I did a google search for a recipe and this thread popped up as the first result. ;)

E

Not sure why they do not add up, that's weird.

Did you ever follow up on this? I got a bottle from a friend coming up from the states and few months back, and have been thinking about doing a clone ever since. This seems to be just about the only recipe I can find - and I'm leery about just scaling up the remaining 7.8% of the recipe.

Latest posts

Back