Modifying a Keg

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I purloined a once used keg from a liquore store yesterday for $20. I was sent there by a Budweiser route man delivering I ran into in a nearby
convenience store. I tried to explain to him that I didn't think $20 was near enough money to cover the cost of the keg, but he insisted it was OK. Sure enough when I got to the store he mentioned I walked away with a shiney, once used 15.5 gal. MicroStar keg for $20. No dents, dings or damage of any kind. They told me I could have all I wanted for $20 apiece! Anyhow, I now need someone to cut the top out. I've read that a plasma arc cutter will do this cleanly and quickly. Who uses this type of cutter? Welding shops, muffler shops? I still feel somewhat guilty about this, but Bud man said it's allright.

I'd go to a welding shop. Take a threaded knuckle for the spigot along and get that installed at the same time. There are very few stainless steel mufflers, some but not many.

Aw, you're going to cut the top out of a near-new 15gal keg?! I'd chop up a beater to use as a boiler. What stat are you in? I want a big keg for $20 :D. I paid more than that for my Spartanburg 3 gal.

Anyway, yes, a plasma cutter will make a cleaner cut than a torch. You might have to deburr the edges, but it wont leave a nasty sawtooth edge with slag everywhere. Shouldnt maore than 5 minutes to blow through an entire keg lid.

$20 is the average price for a 15½ gallon keg. You can also pick them up in SS scrap yards.

Try a Sheetmetal shop for the plasma torch. Just a couple of tips before cutting into it:
Relieve the pressure by prying the valve open with a screwdriver. Prepare for a shower. Remove the ball valve and assembly if possible.
Be sure the barrel is at least half full of water before cutting because the torch will leave slag inside the keg. Slag will be good hiding places for beer nasties.

Good luck,
Wild

as posted before, an angle grinder with a cut-off wheel works really well and saves u a trip to the welder, if you've got one lieing around that is ;)

I have several modified kegs,and all I did was use a sawsall and alot
of oil. just make sure you pick up a good metal blade for it . I had all the nipples welded at a welding shop,but now I see
weldless kits online.
Good luck! RK.

http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/ctaf/Displayitem.taf?itemnumber=3150

4 1/2" angle grinder works like a champ - cutting wheel for the initial cut and grinding wheel to clean up the sharp edges. I finished it off with a grinding stone on my dremel and some 120 grit sandpaper for a great finish.

I just made a loop out of string, looped it over the tap and around a pen to mark the perfect circle for the cut line. I recomment leaving somewhere between 1-2" on the domed part - now it perfectly fits the lid from my 5 gal kettle.

I also suggest investing in a nice set of step drills for making holes for the piping - no center drill required and they make a perfectly circular hole (example. but a bit expensive: http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/ctaf/Displayitem.taf?itemnumber=30519). Just picked up a nice 4 piece set at Costco for $40.

Sam75 said:
Is that thing really worth a damn? For $10, I might just grab one.

Well, just make sure you get the ~$5 protection policy (if you live near a HF store).

I had one burst into flames on me after 3 minutes of use :) - took it back they instantly replaced it - second one has been working just fine for a couple months.

p.s. love the Pogues.

Back