Star San quick conversion chart. Not so much a question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dand9066

Reaction score
I'm not sure if this is the place I should put this but I built a chart showing amount of Star San for a given amount of water. I have a 32 oz spray bottle so I went down to 16 oz of water. I use a baby medicine syringe to measure small volumes of Star San. Hope this helps those of you that don't want to make 5 gal of cleaning solution!

screen-capture.jpg

I'm not sure if this is the place I should put this but I built a chart showing amount of Star San for a given amount of water. I have a 32 oz spray bottle so I went down to 16 oz of water. I use a baby medicine syringe to measure small volumes of Star San. Hope this helps those of you that don't want to make 5 gal of cleaning solution!

View attachment 41936
thank you

I've eyeballed it since i started brewing. I typically fill a keg with 3-4 gallons, and then just pour in what i estimate is around 1oz. Slosh that around, and then move it to the next keg. I stopped filling my fermenters with starsan and instead moved to spraying them down with a starsan solution out of a spray bottle a few times during my brew session. Never had an infection in the year or so i've been doing it this way and i brew every couple of weeks on average. Couldnt tell ya the last time i actually measured starsan out

If there is anything I’ve learned from HBT, it is that I was wasteful with starsan before. Typical brew day I’d sanitize my fermenters, have a bucket or two of starsan sitting there to soak and dip things in, I’d even use it after cleaning just so everything stayed shiny. Every gallon was used and then poured down the driveway. Discovering that I can, 1. Use a sprayer for fermenters and, 2. Re-use my 5 gallon bucket of starsan for next time, has been wonderful. Stepped from 5 gal batches up to 10 and 15 and actually use less starsan!

Star San is too expensive for me to just eyeball the amounts. I also will reuse significant amounts a few times as long as it’s not very old.

Star San is too expensive for me to just eyeball the amounts. I also will reuse significant amounts a few times as long as it’s not very old.

Expensive??? I had a 16 ounce bottle that lasted 8 years, it is $16 now, I think I paid about $10, so that would be $1.25 per year or $2 per year now. I bought a 32 ounce bottle that should last me until 2035 at less per year......

Also, just topped up in a 5 gallon water bottle for 6 years or so. It was never emptied. No infections. YMMV

Never had an infection in the year or so i've been doing it this way and i brew every couple of weeks on average. Couldnt tell ya the last time i actually measured starsan out

According to Charlie Talley, cleaning gets equipment sanitary enough for brewing - sanitizer is insurance. If you're going light on the Star San concentration, you might just be lucky (getting by without the insurance).

According to Charlie Talley, cleaning gets equipment sanitary enough for brewing - sanitizer is insurance. If you're going light on the Star San concentration, you might just be lucky (getting by without the insurance).

I think you're confusing me saying "i dont measure" with "i barely put any in". I still go for whats recommended, i'm just not taking out a scale or a measuring cup. I'm eyeballing it based on what i expect to be the dosage from the years i've used it. And its been well documented that you dont need to fill a fermenter to the top with sanitizer to effectively sanitize. All you need is to spray all areas down and make sure theres contact for at least a couple minutes, and its fine. It doesnt need submersion

Latest posts

Back