American Amber Ale AG Amercian Amber Ale (Lil Bastard)

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Yooper

Ale's What Cures You!
Staff member
Admin
Mod
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
Recipe Type
All Grain
Yeast
American Ale yeast
Yeast Starter
Yes
Batch Size (Gallons)
Original Gravity
Final Gravity
Boiling Time (Minutes)
IBU
Color
Primary Fermentation (# of Days & Temp)
1 week 64 degrees
Secondary Fermentation (# of Days & Temp)
2 weeks 64 degrees
I just wanted something reminiscent of Arrogant Bastard- but not as powerful and as a lower alcohol session beer. I got the idea from the "greenboard" and came up with this:

2.25 Pounds Munich Malt
2.5 pounds maris otter malt
2.25 wheat malt
6 ounces aromatic malt
6 ounces biscuit malt
4 ounces caravienne malt
4 ounces Special B malt

.50 oz Columbus (Tomahawk) 14% 60 minutes
.50 oz Centennial 10% 30 minutes
1 oz Centennial 10% Flame out

Single infusion, batch sparge. Mash at 152-154 degrees for 60 minutes. Sparge as usual. Due to my stupidity, I had to use Nottingham yeast (back up in the fridge).

Looks like a considerable amount of wheat. I'm interested in hearing how it turns out. One ounce of centennial at knockout smells like olfactory hues to me.:cool:

I just remembered this beer! I'm getting more and more into "session" beers instead of bigger beers, so I'm going to do this one again as my next brew, sometime near the end of March.

Im going to have to try this but first want to try your,Arrogant bastard clone, i noticed you have it in the Recipe discussion,unless i didnt see it in the Recipe forum.Is that the one you recommend for brewing then?- the one you have in the Recipe discussion? Do you think the wlp005 british would be ok. Thats what im using like the next 10 batches maybe,Ill probably mash a little lower if its less attenuating than the yeast you used.

Im going to have to try this but first want to try your,Arrogant bastard clone, i noticed you have it in the Recipe discussion,unless i didnt see it in the Recipe forum.Is that the one you recommend for brewing then?- the one you have in the Recipe discussion? Do you think the wlp005 british would be ok. Thats what im using like the next 10 batches maybe,Ill probably mash a little lower if its less attenuating than the yeast you used.

For AB, I just do a simple grainbill of 13 pounds base malt (maris otter is great) and 1.5 pounds crystal 120L. For hopping, one ounce of chinook at 90, 30, and 0. I've only used American ale yeast, but the English ale yeast might be more authentic!

Nice! I third batches and this sounds so easy 1/3,1/3,1,3= 1 oz and .5 # crystal. Thanks, i have all of this im definatly making it next! I have a big bag of GW pale ale malt but i have a few # of marris otter,hmm maybe i will use the MO it on this, i really liked how my first MO pale ale w/british yeast turned out. Does the origional Arrogant bastard use MO, oh probably not they use some hard to find Klags or something?Ive noticed on their website,those malts we cant normally get? I know the oaked arrogant bastard is stronger but what do you think of oaking this,im thinking why not? The oaked i actually didnt get a big oakiness out of because of the big complexity but with this, it could add some nice pronounced character?

I did a 6 gallon batch of the Arrogant Bastard a couple of years ago, and oaked 3 gallons of it. It was really awesome, but it took about 4 months for the oak to really mellow and blend in with the beer. (I used American medium toast oak chips).

I don't make many high OG beers, and that's why I made the Lil Bastard, as I find that I like to have several beers a night and can't handle anything 6+% for very long! But when I do want a nice "bigger" beer, an AB clone is nice.

Back