Why do I keep getting these floating chunks of trub?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

alestateyall

Reaction score
I keep getting large floating chunks of trub in primary. I have had these 3 fermentations in a row with different yeast (1 Nottingham (rehydrated), 1 Nottingham (starter from washed yeast from previous brew), 1 US-05 (pitch dry on wort)) and three different types of brew (extract blonde, AG pale ale, and AG cream ale).

There seems to be no effect on taste of the beer but the fact I have them 3 times in a row and rarely (if ever) in 2 years before that makes me think I have changed something in my process; but, I can't figure out what.

I think my chunks are trub. With this recent cream ale I saw break material that was floating diffusely in the wort which seemed to be slowly coagulating together over a couple of hours. Next morning the chunks were floating up top. I did pitch right before bed so the yeast could have been involved. From experience I know when fermentation gets going heavy these chunks will mostly be obliterated.

The related thread below agrees these are harmless, but, does anyone know how to avoid or if I should bother trying to avoid these?
https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f14/identify-nasty-155138/

Anyway, I just wonder if I might need to boil longer, cool faster, or anything like that. I also wonder, if even though I think the beer is good, if fixing whatever causes this might also provide a quality improvement.

These could also be positive. I have been using a deep water bath to keep my fermenter in the mid 60's F (last 5 batches). I put the wort in the bath a few hours before pitching to hopefully drop the beer from around 80F (best I can do with wort chiller) down to fermentation temps before pitching. Maybe this colder environment contributes to coagulation.

Just wondering if any of you zymurgists have a better explanation. Thanks!

bigchunks.jpg

I get those all the time. Looks real cool once fermentation gets going, kinda like it's alive

+1 for coagulated protein.

I didn't used to get this at all until I started using whirlfloc. The first time I used it and got this I was seriously grossed out!!

It's all fine, it settles out and has only positive effects on the beer. If it remains in suspension you can end up with chill haze which is not a taste issue, only a cosmetic issue.

After 24 hours in the primary, mine looked like this. This was the first time I used Irish Moss, so I'm glad others have experienced this as well. Even though I've been brewing for 10 years, anytime something different happens I get concerned, only to remind myself I need to follow the mantra....RDWHAHB

I keep getting large floating chunks of trub in primary. I have had these 3 fermentations in a row with different yeast (1 Nottingham (rehydrated), 1 Nottingham (starter from washed yeast from previous brew), 1 US-05 (pitch dry on wort)) and three different types of brew (extract blonde, AG pale ale, and AG cream ale).

There seems to be no effect on taste of the beer but the fact I have them 3 times in a row and rarely (if ever) in 2 years before that makes me think I have changed something in my process; but, I can't figure out what.

I think my chunks are trub. With this recent cream ale I saw break material that was floating diffusely in the wort which seemed to be slowly coagulating together over a couple of hours. Next morning the chunks were floating up top. I did pitch right before bed so the yeast could have been involved. From experience I know when fermentation gets going heavy these chunks will mostly be obliterated.

The related thread below agrees these are harmless, but, does anyone know how to avoid or if I should bother trying to avoid these?
https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f14/identify-nasty-155138/

Anyway, I just wonder if I might need to boil longer, cool faster, or anything like that. I also wonder, if even though I think the beer is good, if fixing whatever causes this might also provide a quality improvement.

These could also be positive. I have been using a deep water bath to keep my fermenter in the mid 60's F (last 5 batches). I put the wort in the bath a few hours before pitching to hopefully drop the beer from around 80F (best I can do with wort chiller) down to fermentation temps before pitching. Maybe this colder environment contributes to coagulation.

Just wondering if any of you zymurgists have a better explanation. Thanks!

Back